Email From Somebody Claiming to Be Me

Old December 28th 11, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Default Email From Somebody Claiming to Be Me

On 12/27/2011 9:57 PM, CatNipped wrote:
I was just informed by another poster here that someone, using my name
but with a return email that bounced, sent them an email begging for
money to supposedly pay for a vet fee. I'm would have hoped that those
who have known me well here for years now knows that I have NEVER asked
for money for ANY reason - even when I was faced with a sick cat and no
money in the bank (we sold some electronics on e-Bay to pay for that bill).

This has me EXTREMELY upset, not only that someone is ruining my good
name and reputation, but that anyone here would believe that I would
send such an email in the first place - especially when a reply to that
email address bounced. I have to say that my feelings are really, really
hurt.

If you ever receive such an email, please let me know and send me the
email address it was sent from because if I EVER find out who is doing
this I will prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law.

Again, I would hope you all KNOW that I would NEVER, EVER ask for money
from any of my friends, no matter what the reason.

Here are the people she scooped up from here (I think she got us all
here at one time or another and I'll tell you why below:

madiganlesley (at) xxxxx (dot) xxx; tina (at) xxxxxxxx (dot) xxxxxxx
(dot) xx (dot) xx; seanpenney89 (at) xxxxx (dot) xxx
wwgssanctuary (at) xxxxx (at) xxx

I x'd out parts of them to keep them anonymous for those who don't want
them know here, but I'm hoping you'll recognize your user name and be on
the alert for this scam.

The scammer made 2 mistakes. First she signed the emails "Hugged,
CatNipped" - I only use "CatNipped" online, in email I use "Hugged, and
then my name. This makes me think she got this info from either here or
the few times I've mentioned CatNipped on FaceBook - and we all know
FaceBooks wonderful security protocols!

Second she used an email address that was very close to mine so people
would recognize it but left out one dot so it wasn't valid:

lt (dot) crews (at) comcast (dot) net instead of my correct one
l (dot) t (dot) crews (at) comcast (dot) net.

Ben found the woman who is a very well known scammer who lives in
Germany so, unfortunately it doesn't look like I'll get the chance to
prosecute. But if nothing else, PLEASE let this be a warning to you...
if you ever get an email from a friend, especially one asking for money,
that is out-of-character or just doesn't "feel" right - LET THAT PERSON
KNOW that his/her email is being abused so he/she can alert other
possible victims that they might get email from a compromised identity.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old December 28th 11, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

On Dec 28, 1:56*pm, CatNipped wrote:

if you ever get an email from a friend, especially one asking for money,
that is out-of-character or just doesn't "feel" right - LET THAT PERSON
KNOW

I had a feeling it didn't look right first of all as you say I've
never known you to ask for money secondly it looked too slick- alright
at a pinch I can concieve maybe just maybe you forwarding an email but
that would be an email and not a website with some sob story so I
replied to you from the email asking if it was you and when it bounced
I knew it wasn't..also the story didn't make a lot of sense so if the
cat had such severe stomatitis that total extraction of teeth was the
only option I though why has the vet been persisting with steroids for
some time and why can't the slave now pay for the extractions when
they've apparently previously been paying for steroids for some time?

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old December 28th 11, 10:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 12/28/2011 3:22 PM, Sherry wrote:
On Dec 28, 3:09 pm, wrote:
On 12/28/2011 11:01 AM, Lesley wrote:

On Dec 27, 7:57 pm, wrote:
.

If you ever receive such an email, please let me know and send me the
email address it was sent from because if I EVER find out who is doing
this I will prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law.

Would it be the one with a link to http://www.kapipal.com/hopeforbillie?
in the text? I got it
Hope this helps

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Yes that was it! The email directing this person to this site was
signed "CatNipped" but it most CERTAINLY was not me!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

You could go to the Kapipal website and lodge a complaint. Regardless
of who sent the spam out, "Kati" is likely responsible as she is the
one
who benefits. It's bad enough she's playing on emotions for what's
probably
a scam, but faking emails is way over the line.

Sherry

I just did, thanks!

Old December 28th 11, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

Hey, can you email me at my regular account? I believe I know what happened with this (and how you can avoid it in future).

Annie

Old December 28th 11, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Which is what I did, Lori, then you went ape**** with me.
Tweed

Old December 28th 11, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 12/28/2011 4:41 PM, Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:
Hey, can you email me at my regular account? I believe I know what happened with this (and how you can avoid it in future).

Annie

Please send me your email address - I can't find it on this new computer.

Old December 28th 11, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

shelby 0296 at yahoo dot com
Old December 28th 11, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

wrote in message
[...]

No, that's not what you did. You sent me an email telling me I sent
that to you and you didn't appreciate it, and then went on to lecture me
about taking responsibility for your own cats (and more I'll politely
leave out of here). I'm willing to forget it, but please don't pretend
that I "went ape****" for no apparent reason.

Old December 29th 11, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Which is what I did, Lori, then you went ape**** with me.

Tweed

No, that's not what you did. You sent me an email telling me I sent that
to you and you didn't appreciate it, and then went on to lecture me about
taking responsibility for your own cats (and more I'll politely leave out
of here). I'm willing to forget it, but please don't pretend that I "went
ape****" for no apparent reason.

Of course I did, because I thought it was from *you*
You're making yourself out to be the injured party here and *you*are
"willing to forget it" !! That I replied to a begging e-mail that appeared
to be from you and said don't do it and pointed out that said female needed
to make sure her cats were catered for.
Sheesh.
I seem to be the bad one here now.

Old December 29th 11, 01:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

[...]

Her real name, BTW, is Kalinda Atchley, and she's been doing this since
at least May 29, 2008 when an email from her was pronounced "scam".

http://www.scamdex.com/MHON/B/msg08857.php

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

OT - Email CatNipped[_4_] Cat anecdotes 0 November 16th 11 09:29 PM
Email card for all Ann Cat anecdotes 4 December 19th 06 03:05 AM
new email gracecat Cat anecdotes 0 October 10th 06 02:34 AM
New Email! Mary Cat health & behaviour 63 February 28th 05 01:23 AM
Another New Email! bwankey Cat health & behaviour 67 February 20th 05 03:44 PM