Who in the world lives in Norway?!?!

Old January 22nd 04, 07:04 AM
Hopitus2

At least OK's not square, completely. I drove through that panhandle once,
long ago. Saw my first (but not last) buffalo there.

"Steve Touchstone" wrote in message
: On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 15:35:46 -0500, "Hopitus2"
: wrote:
:
: Checking out of ng now to get a map of Svensk and see the "funny animal"
: (?). Remember, *you* brought it up, Marina....and Lord only knows what
the
: USA map looks like to anyone. Florida alone could be a hot dog, banana,
: pistol, or..........(snicker). Feeling sorry for those who are in
: square-shaped States (mainly out west)...no ridicule there. Would there
be a
: new thread: what do people say your State (or country) is shaped like?
LOL.
:
: Oklahoma - a frying pan
: --
: Steve Touchstone,
: faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit and Rocky
:
: [remove Junk for email]
: Home Page:
: Cat Pix: http://www.sirinet.net/~stouchst/animals.html

Old January 22nd 04, 03:02 PM
Marina

"ellis92" wrote

Michigan - - two hands Hold up both hands, palms facing you, left hand
horizontal, right hand verticle. I was born on my grandfater Kurtti's
farm in Tapiola Michigan, on the knuckle of the thumb of the left hand.

Marin Kurtti

Hey, you may be a relative of mine! You almost have the same name, too. My
name, Kurtén, derives from a place (in present-day Espoo, due west of
Helsinki) called Kurtby in Swedish and Kurttila in Finnish. "By" means
village in Swedish, and the -la ending in Finnish often refers to a place
(as in Tapiola, meaning Tapio's place, Tapio being the ancient Finnish god
of the forest, so Tapiola means forest). Do you know where your family hails
from?

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old January 22nd 04, 08:20 PM
Hopitus2

Excellent, dude....don't think any other states look like "hands".

"ellis92" wrote in message
.. .
: In article ,
: says...
: Louisiana... A boot
:
: Grace
:
: "Hopitus2" wrote in message
: ...
: Checking out of ng now to get a map of Svensk and see the "funny
: animal"
: (?). Remember, *you* brought it up, Marina....and Lord only knows what
: the
: USA map looks like to anyone. Florida alone could be a hot dog,
: banana,
: pistol, or..........(snicker). Feeling sorry for those who are in
: square-shaped States (mainly out west)...no ridicule there. Would
: there be a
: new thread: what do people say your State (or country) is shaped like?
: LOL.
:
:
:
: "Marina" wrote in message
: ...
: :
: : "lewe" wrote
: : Sorry that we are confusing you with our little Nordic nations
: girl!
: : Yes, that was Eva. I do think she was around a bit last year - I
: am sure
: I
: : chatted with her a few times on the Yahoo IM at least. But then
: again -
: : time
: : *does* fly ... and I have hardly posted since last summer either
: ..
: :
: : Nice to see you. I've been wondering if I should ring you to hear if
: you
: are
: : alright.
: :
: : --
: : Marina, Frank and Nikki
: : Email marina (dot) kurten (at) pp (dot) inet (dot) fi
: : Pics at
http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/frankiennikki
: :
:
:
:
:
:
:

Old January 22nd 04, 08:42 PM
Steve Touchstone

We have a National Wildlife Refuge just to our north. There are
thriving herds of both buffalo and longhorn cattle, enough so that
there are annual auctions to sell off the surplus

:

Old January 22nd 04, 11:25 PM
GraceCat

Steve, is it the Arbuckle (IIRC) maybe an hour outside of Moore? When my
aunt was still alive, as we'd be leaving we always went through there.
I thought the wild cat pens were extremely small. Loved feeding the
llamas and giraffe though.

Grace

:

Old January 23rd 04, 03:39 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:25:56 -0600, "GraceCat"
wrote:

Steve, is it the Arbuckle (IIRC) maybe an hour outside of Moore? When my
aunt was still alive, as we'd be leaving we always went through there.
I thought the wild cat pens were extremely small. Loved feeding the
llamas and giraffe though.

Grace

"Steve Touchstone" wrote in message
.. .
We have a National Wildlife Refuge just to our north. There are
thriving herds of both buffalo and longhorn cattle, enough so that
there are annual auctions to sell off the surplus

No, though I know what you're talking about as I've been there as
well. The one I'm talking about borders Fort Sill, just north of
Lawton. The long horns and buffalo are pretty much free range, so if
you're unlucky you can go and not see any. Usually, though, you'll see
quite a few, and it's not unusual to have to stop while they cross the
road. There's also a sizeable section of the refuge which is closed
off to the public.

Before I retired from the Army and took up this landscaping business I
used to spend quite a bit of time fishing in the many lakes on the
refuge. I once had a close encounter with a buffalo, which decided it
wanted a drink where I was fishing. I was fishing on the back side of
the lake and heard something crashing through the woods behind me.
There was no way to make a quick escape, so I ended up wading out to a
rock about 10 yards offshore and watched the monster take a long, half
hour, drink before he wandered back through the woods. BTW, since I
took my rod with me I fished off the rock for a couple hours before
coming back to shore.

--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old January 23rd 04, 11:54 AM
Hans Schrøder

"GraceCat" wrote in message
Dangit, I just checked, it wasn't Lewe. It's not Marina. And I think
it's Hans but he's relatively new... Wasn't there *somebody* that lived
in Norway around here???

All right, I confess, I live in Norway. Not at all a bad country to live in.
Not only we have one of the world's best developed social services and free
health system, we also have five weeks paid vacation a year! It's cold here
in the winter but spring, summer and fall are beautiful.

Here is a link to what CIA thinks about Norway today:
http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications.../print/no.html

--
Hans

Old January 23rd 04, 11:10 PM
Tanada

Steve Touchstone wrote:

Before I retired from the Army and took up this landscaping business I
used to spend quite a bit of time fishing in the many lakes on the
refuge. I once had a close encounter with a buffalo, which decided it
wanted a drink where I was fishing. I was fishing on the back side of
the lake and heard something crashing through the woods behind me.
There was no way to make a quick escape, so I ended up wading out to a
rock about 10 yards offshore and watched the monster take a long, half
hour, drink before he wandered back through the woods. BTW, since I
took my rod with me I fished off the rock for a couple hours before
coming back to shore.

Yes, but did you catch anything, other than seeing more buffalo than you
wanted?

Pam S.
Old January 24th 04, 12:22 AM

"Hans Schroder" wrote:

All right, I confess, I live in Norway. Not at all a bad country
to live in. Not only we have one of the world's best developed
social services and free health system, we also have five weeks
paid vacation a year! It's cold here in the winter but spring,
summer and fall are beautiful.

Yeah, if not for those winters, I would consider trying to live in
Scandanavia, at least for a while. (Sweden and Denmark have similar
social programs, don't they?) Do they let people come and live there
for, say, 4 months? (ie, May-August )? I would love to be there for
the summer solstice! How hard is it for a foreigner to come and work
in countries like Norway, Sweden, Denmark, for a short period? I love
where I live, it's home to me, but I wouldn't mind trying out some
other places, too, especially places that have common sense about
taking care of their populations!

Joyce - some of whose ancestors come from Norway (3rd generation)