Need help in Ohio

Old March 18th 05, 12:41 AM
Scott Eversole

Default Need help in Ohio

Hey folks.:^)

Not sure what you'll think. It's a long story to explain but I was
talked into adopting a stray cat and moved into my present neighborhood
with it.

I wanted the cat to be free to come and go so I installed a cat door but
he wouldn't use it so I propped it open and other cats ended up coming
in.

Now the first cat disappeared long ago and I have 15 cats camping out in
here since it got cold in the fall.

I was finally able to close the door and make the ones here use it
properly so I shouldn't be getting more in but they are driving me to
bankruptcy and it is a lot of work caring for them and I just got a
notice from the city that they will start fining me for letting any run
free.

I don't consider myself an owner.

Anyhow, I can't afford to fix them or give them all the attention they
should have. I don't really want to alter them and I'm a vegetarian
myself anyway so it bothers me that I'm feeding them meat. I just love
them so much though and I'm attached to all of them but I have to start
trying to adopt them out to good homes.

I'm not sure some are even adoptable though because some are feral. Some
more than others. There are a few I can maybe start with though and a
new litter and maybe one on the way. I was thinking one was pregnant but
she may just have gotten too fat.:^)

Anyhow, I would appreciate any suggestions e-mailed to me.:^)

Sincerely,

Scott

Old March 18th 05, 01:14 AM
Jeffraham Prestonian

"Scott Eversole" wrote

I wanted the cat to be free to come and go so I installed a cat door but
he wouldn't use it so I propped it open and other cats ended up coming
in.

Now the first cat disappeared long ago and I have 15 cats camping out in
here since it got cold in the fall.

Dunno if this of any help, but there's a company that
makes a electromagnetically-latched cat/dog door, that
will only open if the pet is within a foot or so of the
door. There's a trigger for the latch in a small dongle
that attaches to the pet's collar.

[...]

That's a toughie. My vet, and the adoption shelter
where I got my cat -- both said that stray populations
(in urban areas, particularly) are rife with infectious
cats, and that nose-to-nose contact is all that is
required to pass along some of the nastier, fatal
diseases. The shelter made me sign papers promising
not to let my cat live outside, or even BE outside
without supervision. I hate that I have to keep him in
100% of the time, but he's got a pretty good life, I
suppose.

As heartbreaking as it may sound, you may need to
call your local animal control folks to assist you with
your options regarding your "pride" of kitties.

--
a d i d a s i n h e a t
politics, multitracking, digital video

Old March 18th 05, 01:10 PM
Hemmaholic

"I don't consider myself an owner.

Anyhow, I can't afford to fix them or give them all the attention they
should have. I don't really want to alter them and I'm a vegetarian
myself anyway so it bothers me that I'm feeding them meat"

Scott,

Legally you became their "owner" when you allowed them to stay in you
home and you began to feed them.

There are organizations that can assist you with the costs of
spaying/neutering these animals. Contact Spay USA, Alley Cat Allies.
If you DON"Y take responsibility to get these animals "altered", then
you must be willing and ready to take on the expense of caring for
(more) unwanted kittens and finding suitable homes for all of them. Do
you have any idea how many kittens can be born in a year's time? Each
intact female, that is at least 9 months old, can have up to 3 litters
in a year. The average number of kittens per litter is usually 4. Are
you sure you want this responsibility?

Regardless of your own eating habits, cats are carnivores and as such
EAT MEAT, deal with it. Feed a quality brand of dry food if feeding
canned food is such a turn off for you.

". . . I have to start
trying to adopt them out to good homes.

I'm not sure some are even adoptable though because some are feral . .
.. "

A good home would be one where the "owner" would get the animal
altered, see to it that all medical needs were met and keep it inside.

None of these cats are "feral"; truly "feral" cats avoid contact with
humans, would not venture inside a building inhabited by humans. What
you have managed to em mass are several neighborhood strays along with
quite a few "free-roaming" pets, and possible some "pets" who got
outside and ended up "lost".

I would strongly suggest you find a no-kill shelter and turn the bulk
of these animals over to them. Any you should chose to keep need to be
taken to the Vet immediately for complete check-ups (for infectious
diseases) and to be altered. Close and permanently lock the cat door,
and keep the animal indoors. It would seem your area has regulations
against allowing pets to be free-roaming.

Jeff stated, "My vet, and the adoption shelter
where I got my cat -- both said that stray populations
(in urban areas, particularly) are rife with infectious
cats, and that nose-to-nose contact is all that is
required to pass along some of the nastier, fatal
diseases."

Most of these infectious diseases can be prevented through inoculations
and boosters, however, once the animals become infected there isn't a
cure., only control of the symptoms. There are upper respiratory
infections, feline leukemia, feline HIV, to name a few. Plus there's
the flea and ear mite problem, internal parasites and the like that can
cause serious illnesses.

It sounds to me that it is time for you to do the responsible thing and
get help in properly caring for these animals, find them new, permanent
homes and doing your part in helping to control the massive pet
over-population.

Old March 19th 05, 11:47 PM
Scott Eversole

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll take them under advisement.:^)

Old April 10th 05, 01:31 PM
hobbs

Love you but you have got yourself a problem, they must
have passed the message along that your a soft touch.
I am wondering where the first cat went to though didn't
you say he wouldn't go out through the cat door?
best wishes for your problem to be solved
Jean.P.

Ohio bears Mark Edwards Cat anecdotes 1 December 13th 04 11:43 PM
A Lion or Just Lyin'? Ginger-lyn Summer Cat anecdotes 64 May 13th 04 06:35 PM
Brain fart (OT) Stacey Cat anecdotes 31 January 11th 04 08:22 PM
Kitty Fear Factor jmcquown Cat anecdotes 51 December 16th 03 03:05 AM