Lynx Loose in Atlanta

Old June 3rd 04, 07:49 PM
CajunPrincess

Default Lynx Loose in Atlanta

There is a Canadian Lynx roaming an Atlanta neighborhood. I've
reprinted the text, but I'm posting the web addy of the article even
though registration is required because there are two really good
pictures people took of the lynx in their back yards; one of them with
the lynx sitting on a deck looking pretty unconcerned. What a
beautiful cat. I hope they can capture it safely and put it in an
appropriate environment.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...03wildcat.html

Wildcat takes on Buckhead address

By MILO IPPOLITO
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 06/02/04

A big, hairy wildcat of some sort is loose in Buckhead.
It's no figment of the imagination. Woodrow Vaughan snapped
its picture on Memorial Day, the most recent sighting,
as it sat on the back deck of his house, looking in.
Vaughan said the animal is about as big as a golden
retriever.

"I sort of hollered at it, and it just stared at
me," Vaughan said. "Sasquatch," as folks around
the Mount Paran neighborhood are calling it,
during the past week has walked up to families
in their yards, startling many but injuring no one.

Some suspect it is a stray exotic pet because
it seems to like being around people.
But the feeling is generally not mutual.
The animal is probably a lynx, say people
who have seen it, a wildcat native to Canada
that eats rodents.

"It's a really big kitty cat," said Fulton Animal
Control director David Smith. "They do have real
sharp teeth and real big claws and they can hurt
you if they want."

This one appears tame, Smith said, but could be
dangerous because wild animals are unpredictable.
People should not approach it, nor should they
run away from the animal since that could provoke
a chase. The best thing to do is ignore it, keep
away from it and call the authorities, he said.
According to tales circulating the wooded neighborhood
off I-75, the animal walked up to a man as he was
swinging his toddler in the back yard.

The cat is said to have lunged at the child. As the
story goes, the man fended it off with a chair,
his wife grabbed their child, and they ran
into the house. The cat sat on their back deck
for a while looking in, just like at the Vaughans'.

In another tale on a different street, a teenage baby
sitter was at the backyard pool with an 8-year-old boy
and his cousin. The cat sneaked up on them from behind,
and she jumped into the pool with the boy. They swam to
the other side, but it followed them. They all ran into
the house, and the cat sat looking in the door.

The stories keep growing. As do calls to the state Department
of Natural Resources.

"DNR apparently has been looking for this critter for a
week," Smith said.

Sightings should be reported to the state Department
of Natural Resources at 770-918-6400.
Old June 3rd 04, 08:31 PM
Kreisleriana

On 3 Jun 2004 11:49:45 -0700,
(CajunPrincess) yodeled:

There is a Canadian Lynx roaming an Atlanta neighborhood. I've
reprinted the text, but I'm posting the web addy of the article even
though registration is required because there are two really good
pictures people took of the lynx in their back yards; one of them with
the lynx sitting on a deck looking pretty unconcerned. What a
beautiful cat. I hope they can capture it safely and put it in an
appropriate environment.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...03wildcat.html

(snip)

Me too. It seems like there are more and more of these damn stories
all the time, and I hate to see them. So often they end up badly.

I did sign up to see the pictures. Wow, at least someone did get a
picture of him/her. So many times, the fearsome beats turns out to be
a big dog or something. The Hound of the Baskervilles syndrome.

In that pic of the cat walking, he/she looks like he/she is creeping
low to the gound like Stinky does when he is scared or unhappy. My
mom calls it his "creepin' Jesus" walk.

Theresa
Old June 3rd 04, 08:31 PM
Kreisleriana

On 3 Jun 2004 11:49:45 -0700,
(CajunPrincess) yodeled:

Old June 3rd 04, 08:31 PM
Kreisleriana

On 3 Jun 2004 11:49:45 -0700,
(CajunPrincess) yodeled:

Old June 3rd 04, 11:09 PM
Sherry

There is a Canadian Lynx roaming an Atlanta neighborhood. I've
reprinted the text, but I'm posting the web addy of the article even
though registration is required because there are two really good
pictures people took of the lynx in their back yards; one of them with

OMG. The lynx is my all-time favorite wild animals. Years ago I used to even
write scathing e-mails to people trying to sell lynx coats on e-bay. It's a
miracle I didn't get myself banned...
I hope it can be relocated safely.

Sherry

Old June 4th 04, 12:07 AM
Pixie Dust 413

Sounds to me like the big cat was trying to play in a very big cat
sort of way.

If he is an exotic pet, I hope the people who "owned" him didn't
declaw or defang him.

Meowmie Debby