Lynx Loose in Atlanta

Old June 4th 04, 01:58 AM

Mary wrote:

I went to visit them and they let me play with the lynx! He was rubbing
up on me just like a little kitty...then he sprayed on my jeans. The
woman said they do that when they like you.

Just like a boy... they have such weird ways of showing they like you.

Joyce

Old June 4th 04, 03:59 AM
Sherry

There's a place here called Wildlife on Wheels. They get illegal wildlife
pets
from Fish and Game and use them to help educate kids and adults. I went to
visit them and they let me play with the lynx! He was rubbing up on me just
like a little kitty...then he sprayed on my jeans. The woman said they do
that
when they like you. He was sooo friendly I just wanted to take him home with
me.

Oooo. I'm jealous. They've always been my favorites. I've been keeping my eyes
open for a good piece of artwork of a lynx. There are a few repro prints out
there but nothing I've been wild about so far. The most common one Ifind is
"Dozing Lynx"--can't remember the artist--but I don't like it. He looks cold.

Sherry

Old June 4th 04, 07:03 AM
Mary

Oooo. I'm jealous. They've always been my favorites.

You should come to Los Angeles. They need volunteers to play with the Lynx, can
you imagine! They need to keep it super friendly so it's good for educational
purposes. They have lots of other animals you are supposed to play with to keep
friendly and amused as well. http://www.wildlifeonwheels.org/

Old June 4th 04, 01:46 PM
Kreisleriana

On 04 Jun 2004 06:03:35 GMT, pam (Mary) yodeled:

Oooo. I'm jealous. They've always been my favorites.

You should come to Los Angeles. They need volunteers to play with the Lynx, can
you imagine! They need to keep it super friendly so it's good for educational
purposes. They have lots of other animals you are supposed to play with to keep
friendly and amused as well.
http://www.wildlifeonwheels.org/

I'm on my way!

I really fear for my sanity, sometimes. I am just a hair away from
being one of those idiots who keep exotic pets, just because I find
them so compelling and beautiful. It is only my scrap of sanity and
sense (and my mother ) that keep me from collecting every animal
that crosses my path, domestic and wild.

One of the most exciting things that ever happened to me was when the
Audubon Society brought two "ambassador" wolves to my graduate school.
They were so unbelievably beautiful, so *magical*, so huge and
powerful, so like, yet unlike our dogs, and so guilelessly sweet.

I think that the bond that wild animals can *occasionally* form with
*some* humans is so touching, and therefore very seductive to animal
lovers. I remember seeing a National Geographic program about a
couple who raised and released an abandoned pair of bear cubs in
Siberia, and who were greeted with joy and affection by the bears when
they returned after a year to visit. It was so incredibly moving that
the bears were completely wild and self-sufficient, but remembered
their "mom and dad," and went almost wild with joy at seeing them
again.

OTOH, these programs can be dangerous in a way, because they can lead
many uninformed (or dumb, or crazy) people to believe that they can
raise a baby wild animal themselves, and keep it as a pet, which
almost always ends up very badly.

Theresa