If we ever needed purrs

Old July 11th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Default Purrs for two people with one good leg between them

Lesley wrote:
snip
(it's not her fault so I was being nice- I've been advised to "Sue and
get the place closed down" but given the advice was given by the
"Advance Stores Posse" (The friendly pack who hang around outside
another local shop- they always fetch stuff for me and today one
walked back and carried my shopping so I ignore some of the things I
hear like "I'm in Court tomorrow- can I tell the magistrate I've got a
job here? Otherwise he could send me down" never mind the smoking ban
some of them are not smoking tobacco!) I think they're biased but I
shall be writing to Somerfield's head office)

snip

If you sued, it wouldn't get the place shut down, it may get them to do
something about the floor so someone else doesn't suffer like you have, or
worse, hopefully you'd get some compensation as well. Maybe it would be a
good idea for you to talk to the CAB.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old July 11th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann

Healing purrs on the way.
Ann

see pictures of Sam at http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ann791/my_photos
"Lesley" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am getting wise- Goodle told me it had sent a big message which has
not shown up in the ng after other messages have so now I have the
damn thing in Word and copied so until it does show I can resend

Hi all

Yes it's not usual to get a mid week rant from me unless you log onto
CatKB but this is not a usual week

I had that most dreaded of events last night- a dental appointment.
I've had toothache all weekend and I know what causes it and that's
enough to make anyone dread the dentist. When I was a teenager I had
a few things going for me one was few spots and the other was when I
was 18 and my friends were living on mashed banana my wisdom teeith
came through painlessly (I was not popular with the mashed banaba
brigade!) but they didn't come completely through and over the years
the two on the right have occasional outbreaks of peridontitis. I have
learnt when I get THAT toothache THERE it is time to shudder, grit my
teeth and start using Corsodyl mouthwash- undoubtedly the vilest
tasting mouthwash ever! Compared to that original Listerine is for
wimps! (And the mint flavour is worse than the original) But the
alternative is extracting two part erupted and impacted wisdom teeth
and from what I've been told there's a lot to be said for Corsodyl! So
I headed to the dentist and the good news is my prompt application of
the liquid from Hell is settling the problem down.I have once again
headed off wisdom tooth removal even if it might be wiser to have it
done! (No way!) My dentist gave me a clean and polish (to justify the
expense I guess), a pat on the head, a warning to come back if I felt
I needed to and off I went with a relatively clean bill of oral health

So I am very happy, the Sun is shining, all's right in my World...I
should have known better than to luxuriate in the feeling.

Had to pop to the shops for a couple of bits, TP (Dunzi will check it
for greeblin's) and a few other things and I headed to the local
"Somerfield's" (It's brilliant, part of a "Texaco" garage just over
the road from us, literally, 24/7 reasonably priced stuff and so near
I can see the checkout from my bedroom window)

Hmmm....they have a special offer on steak, I have some potatoes at
home so feeling wonderful about life, the universe and everything I
throw a pack in the basket along with some mushrooms and onions. Dave
loves steak as do I so it'll be a treat for both of us tonight then
spot some asparagus! We're both hooked on the stuff so dinner is a-
looking good! (Well as good as anything I cook can be but my
speciality is shoving stuff in our George Foreman grill-fantastic
invention as far as I'm concerned)

I pay for the stuff and I notice it has started to seriously rain -
this doesn't worry me, I get wet, I dry out anyway it;s only a short
dash over the road. I've even put a few cans of Stella in my basket so
I don;t need (yet I am sure someday I will but that is something
anyone puts off for as long as they can!) to have to have my wisdom
teeth out and we are having steak for dinner washed down with a couple
of cold beers

As I walk away from the checkout I can almost see a reproachful feline
face....I have forgotten cat litter! So I trudge back to the
checkout and get some

By now it isn't so much raining as coming down in sheets and I am
careful. I have told the shop 3 or more times in wet weather the floor
tiles are decidedly dangerously slippery, I've had to grab the door
posts to save myself several times. They tell me they mentioned it to
their head office but so far as I know nothings been done apart from
putting a "slippery when wet" sign up, which is so small you don't
spot it until you're on the floor believe me I know now...because...

All of a sudden I go flying! My left leg slid out from under me and
there was nothing to grab and even if there was I had both hands laden
with bags so I couldn't have,

As far as I can work out my right foot saw trouble coming its way and
beat a retreat towards my backside (which is large enough I could have
landed on it and bounced!) leaving my right knee to take the brunt of
the impact, the resulting crash could have been heard a few miles
away...And it was total agony, it was what felt like an age before I
could even move

Then of course a well meaning member of the public tries to haul me
up, which is no joke when I am not Kate Moss, I think I saw tears in
his eyes especially as the woman he is trying to help snaps at him to
let her roll over to get both feet on the non-slip mat as all his
attempt did was cause my left foot to slide away.

Finally I hauled myself up...I am in agony, my right knee is promising
a visit to casualty and I have to hop, the manager asks me if I am
okay and gets the rather short reply (I wasn't at my best) of "I've
told you before this floor gets slippery" which is when he points out
a sign on the floor, which is at best ten inches tall.

I managed to limp across the road getting totally soaked in the
process because running is out of the question...even walking is
dubious and I am just grateful for the new bannister put in for Dave
because without it I would not have managed the stairs. My knee is so
painful I can't even bear my skirt brushing against it (of course this
is the moment when Sarsi decides to come and want skritchies and
starts by plonking her paw on my knee! And probably wonders why
Meowmie let out a small shriek- she's been a pain today Dave tells me
she got on his desk and about £750's worth of video camera and
computer equipment is on the floor and he can't bend down to pick it
up so can I? That's when I went white)

(But how can you be mad at her for long? She does this thing where she
starts to make a noise (I have never heard a cat say "Miaow" has
anyone?) and yawns in the middle - it looks so silly and so cute)

I had a rotten night last night, I struggled to find a comfortable
position that enabled me to have my knee out of the covers as the
weight was too much and of course as soon as I drifted off to sleep I
moved or Dave moved and pulled the cover back over and my knee woke
me up again

This morning it was stiff and painful, no way can I go to work as even
getting out of bed was difficult when I first moved I heard it crack.
I might make work tomorrow through I would consider hijacking Dave's
chair as I say we have one good leg between the two of us!

Of course I ran out of Ibuprofen (works for me) and had to go back
over the road to get some and the conversation went something like
this:

Checkout girl (Who has seen me come in limping): "What happened to
you?"

Me: "I slipped in here last night"

Her: "Oh that's bad. The floor does get slippery through"

Me: "I know!"

Her: "So what can I get you?"

Me; "A pack of Iburprofen which I need for my knee. Is this a new way
to sell things? Maim the customer!"

(it's not her fault so I was being nice- I've been advised to "Sue and
get the place closed down" but given the advice was given by the
"Advance Stores Posse" (The friendly pack who hang around outside
another local shop- they always fetch stuff for me and today one
walked back and carried my shopping so I ignore some of the things I
hear like "I'm in Court tomorrow- can I tell the magistrate I've got a
job here? Otherwise he could send me down" never mind the smoking ban
some of them are not smoking tobacco!) I think they're biased but I
shall be writing to Somerfield's head office)

I hope to make work tomorrow although I had to tell Helena I might be
a bit late as I have to be careful and can't run for anything (I can
walk a short distance on the flat but stairs are a pain, which is not
good news when my office is on the first floor and as for lifts- the
race is on to see whether my pain overrules my phobia or vice versa!)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

PS And if that didn't make me whimper- Dave's news did. Nancy, the OT
called him yesterday to tell him she was having problems getting the
housing sorted out with helping him move stuff when the builders come
to do the kitchen and bathroom and let slip his new crutch still
hasn't been done and they are looking into it. I've told Dave to write
to his MP it's been two and a half months since Klaus said it would be
done in a week or so but apparently it's become a "funding issue"
because Dave can't use an ordinary crutch. The idea was Klaus would
bring it round, give Dave a session of getting used to having it in
the house then they would start walking down the road with the
ultimate aim being for Dave to lose the chair and get about with the
crutch. Who knows where we would be if that had happened? Perhaps all
this would be over....In the meantime Dave has had no physiotherapy
for 2 and a half months and doesn't know when he will get any again

Old July 12th 07, 10:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley via CatKB.com

Adrian A wrote:

If you sued, it wouldn't get the place shut down, it may get them to do
something about the floor so someone else doesn't suffer like you have, or
worse, hopefully you'd get some compensation as well. Maybe it would be a
good idea for you to talk to the CAB.

I've emailed their head office about it- we shall see what excuses they can
come up with! (Cynical? Moi?)

Old July 14th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default And now..it's my turn to have a moral dilemna (excuse spelling)

Hi all

Time for the weekly rant

After my skating attempt Monday I have a very swollen knee and quite
attractive bruising down my leg. I can walk but if I don't want my
knee to scream I have to keep it straight and hobble, which has the
unwanted side effect of throwing my hip and back out of alignment so
they hurt- it's a case of choosing which pain versus functionality at
the moment. I have complained but haven't had an email back (Might
have come through yesterday I had the day off work then again maybe
not...cynical? Moi?)

Of course this means we can't go out (also he feels rough, probably
the heat) out of concern for my knee. If I didn't have doubts about
his ability to get downstairs (and for all I know he could) I would be
searching his chequebook for evidence he paid someone in the
supermarket to polish the floor.....He gets out of getting out and
what can I say? Forgive the paranoia

I tore my clothes off and leapt into bed with him on Thursday night! I
dozed off and he couldn't wake me and as he wasn't feeling well he
made his arrangements about getting to bed so when I did wake up I
found myself facing an unbroken night's sleep! The first since the
night before he got out of hospital! ...It was sheer bliss through of
course last night he came to bed at 2.30 just after I had dozed off
then for some insane reason woke me at 5.30 (would you believe he
wanted a cigarette? Alas since I moved everything to make room for
things that would otherwise be in the way of his chair, he has no
bedside table so I have to sit up until he's finished- we used to have
no-smoking in the bedroom but if I enforced it he would get up, get
dressed, go to the living room then come back and get undressed and
thank you very much, my sleep is precious as it is.) I don't know why
(I have suspicions) but at the moment I feel chronically tired. Then
again when I took my new job on (Been there 9 months last Tuesday so
it isn't new anymore- remember when I thought I might last until last
Christmas if I was lucky!) one of the loveliest thoughts was I'd be
able to get up later- I am not a morning person-instead I am getting
up the same time because of having to organise things

And Tel called at 9.30.....Alas I had my mobile in its charger which
was next to my ear, so I got an earful and so did Tel when he revealed
his reason for calling.... He was doing a crossword and could not
spell "bureaucratic " and as a medical secretary he reckoned I should
be able to (I couldn't I wasn't at my best)

Anyway life such as it is goes on....

The crutch front: Nancy (The OT who was taking Dave off her books but
changed her mind) is looking into it. I have told Dave it is past the
time he should be talking to our MP ( he's good and reads his email
every day). He says they'll blame the staff and he doesn't think
that's fair - me? I can't help but think if he'd called them during
the 7 weeks when I was having a repeated reasonable debate (I do NOT
nag whatever he says!) things would have moved faster- it seems since
he gave in to the repeated reasonable debates (or as he would have it
"persistent nagging") and called them, things are moving again and
Nancy says Klaus will pop round anyway to see how things are going
soon....whatever that means

The building front: The housing told Nancy work will not start for 2-3
months and the contractors have someone whose job it is to come round
and move stuff and pack it up. That's good and has stopped Dave
complaining about how he's not letting them in and expecting me to
take 7+ weeks off work to stay home am tempted to ask for 2 weeks in
the sure knowledge he will be dead by the end of that- if I hear one
more cry of "I'll have to be up for 8.00 and they won't leave 'til
5.00 so I'll just have to sit in one room all day" delivered at 7.45
to someone who has got up , dressed ,done things and is now going to
sit in one room until 5.00 only she has to get the tube to her room
and back...I don't think any jury in the land would convict me!

Then again I am suspicious of our landlord. They told us the work
won't start 'til September before and the week before last told us the
end of the month. The last time they did anything big here was when
they put the heating in and they surveyed us one Thursday told us it
would be another month and on Saturday we got a letter asking us to be
ready for Monday.... So I expect to get email from Dave saying they
have turned up at any time at all....

Anyway onto my moral dilemma............

Yesterday seeing as how my day off to go out with Dave wasn't gonna
happen and I needed some fresh air and a break I went over to Lewisham
to get some new shoes (There's a particular brand I wear, which aren't
expensive, last well and are so comfy I took the right size off the
shelf, asked the assistant to bring me the other shoe and take the
tags off as I am wearing these to go- years of retailing has left me
with an utter loathing of uncomfortable shoes) had a look at the shops
(proud of myself, I didn't buy anything even through my recent clear
out has left me space)

So on the way back I decided to support an endangered ancient
monument, which alas, is one way to describe the "Bow Bells" of late.
Never mind the rights and wrongs of the latest nanny state move this
poor local hostelry is suffering because it doesn't have space to put
in a shelter or has a large beer garden. Those persevering to keep
Colin and Barbara in their home and Guy, Finn and Nicki in a job
(round here if a pub falters developers move in fast In a 5-mile
radius in the last 3 years 25 or more have closed) have to resort to
the bit by the dustbin store or risking the street where the local
litter wardens are seeking to raise the monies being lost when people
quit (I know I ought to but I'll do it when I want to not when Tony,
Gordon and their cronies tell me to and when they ban smoking in the
bars of Westminster!)

Bumped into Nobby I think I mentioned Nobby before, he's a porter
down at the London Hospital and would visit Dave when he was in there
but hasn't got round to it since...he said he guessed things were
alright since he heard Dave got out of Thames House.

It hit me at once....I started telling him about the foul up's the
fact Dave's been waiting over 2 months for physio and all the other
hassles I am trying to cope with on a day to day basis. I mean no
disrespect to all of you because without you I'd be modelling straight
jackets but when I started to talking to someone who hasn't been
involved for an age by the time I'd run out of breath he'd put a beer
in front of me and said he didn't think I was much less stressed out
than when Dave was first in hospital

Something has to happen even Dave knows it, this morning he said
perhaps although not keen we should go back to the suggestion of a
week back in Thames House because he could work out there better on
the frame then he can here. After all they did say he could use the
gym at the hospital then they said he could use another gym he'd have
to pay for but he couldn't get there on his own so that idea went by
the wayside along with most other ideas, And I am ashamed to admit the
thought of him going back there....I would take the week off I could
catch up on my sleep and still have time to help with his physio
perhaps it would motivate him by reminding him why he doesn't want to
be there....After all with my back at the moment, I could probably do
with a week in there!

And there's the other matter....

I have never been happy, far from it, about the advice we've had on
Dave's feet and legs. One minute he'll have to wear compression
stockings forever, then only by day, then he can't be let out until I
know how to change them, then he has to wear them 4 days on and off
only due to the vanishing of Kay he ends up wearing them for 3 weeks.
Then we have the CICT who sometimes do it sometimes don't and by the
time they leave he isn't wearing them and this sort of thing is
nothing to do with Klaus and his team because Iyo did the doppler test
and as no-one has heard to the contrary it's probably okay

Dave's got a red sore patch on the side of his right heel....He
doesn't want to call a doctor because he doesn't want to go back to
hospital. It's due to rubbing from the shoe it's always calmed down
by the morning so perhaps he could put some plaster on it or on the
shoe but he says that's no good

I am starting to realise where the problem lies...I am dealing with a
system that doesn't move unless you kick it often and hard but the
person who is supposed to be kicking the system can't be asked,.

I don't have Klaus' number but I can get it...Do I have a quiet word?

If Dave finds out, I'll be putting the Fabulous Furballs in a carrier
and you won't hear from me until I get a PC sorted out at my new
accommodations(and I don't think I can walk the streets with the
Furballs but I can't leave them here when Dave can't get down to the
shops )

I may have to just trust Klaus whom I have never met with my concerns
and pray he doesn't for one second let slip that when he's asking to
look at Dave's feet (I'd demand danger money) it's 'cos I raised the
issue

I would like advice, suggestions, purrs etc

Old July 14th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Lesley wrote:
snip
I would like advice, suggestions, purrs etc

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Sorry, no advice or suggestions, but lots and lots of purrs.

Old July 14th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Lesley wrote:
Hi all

Time for the weekly rant

After my skating attempt Monday I have a very swollen knee and quite
attractive bruising down my leg. I can walk but if I don't want my
knee to scream I have to keep it straight and hobble, which has the
unwanted side effect of throwing my hip and back out of alignment so
they hurt- it's a case of choosing which pain versus functionality at
the moment. I have complained but haven't had an email back (Might
have come through yesterday I had the day off work then again maybe
not...cynical? Moi?)

snip
I would like advice, suggestions, purrs etc

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Lots of purrs and hugs,
Polonca and Soncek

Old July 14th 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Lots of purrs for starters. I can only guess at just how hard it is for
you, physically and emotionally, to be caught in the middle like this. When
you said Dave mentioned going back to Grant House for a week my first
thought was, "She could use the rest." Sure, it's rough having someone in a
hospital or other such place, but it couldn't possibly be as rough as what
you're going through now. I don't know if he'd actually go through with it,
but if he mentions it again, I think I'd say, "That might not be a bad idea"
or the equivalent.

As for Klaus, I think I'd definitely call him - from work or a call box -
and ask him not to tell Dave you had called. Of course, you have to go with
your own gut feeling in all this, but you asked for suggestions or advice,
and here they are.

Kudos and best wishes,

Joy

ups.com...

Old July 15th 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default He ate the fish!

On 14 Jul, 15:36, "Joy" wrote:
Lots of purrs for starters. I can only guess at just how hard it is for
you, physically and emotionally, to be caught in the middle like this. When
you said Dave mentioned going back to Grant House for a week my first
thought was, "She could use the rest."

I am sorry to say it was my first thought as well!

I don't know if he'd actually go through with it,
but if he mentions it again, I think I'd say, "That might not be a bad idea"
or the equivalent.

But it's not up to us, the best I can do is get him to make a case for
it to Klaus and apart from Christmas (and I am not waiting that long!)
Thames House has a waiting list (Besides volunteering to go back there
will almost certainly bring Munster (the young shrink- his surname is
something like "Munster" and the nickname has stuck) back into our
lives. Anyway it was an idea bandied about by Katie ages ago either
for him to stay in there for a week or come and use their gym on a
daily basis but that got veto'ed on the grounds of cost

As for Klaus, I think I'd definitely call him - from work or a call box -
and ask him not to tell Dave you had called. Of course, you have to go with
your own gut feeling in all this, but you asked for suggestions or advice,
and here they are.

Thanks- I think the problem is I don't know Klaus so I can't gauge how
likely he is to take me seriously or let slip to Dave, I wonder if I
could call Coco from the CICT team? They're in the same office so he
could mention it at their next meeting also if I call Klaus about it
he might read it as a criticism of his team whereas if it comes from
Coco I can stress it isn't- or will Klaus read it as criticism that I
didn't feel I could contact him even if we don't know each other

And of course there's Dave and his level of logic as demonstrated
yesterday (those of a sensitive disposition had better skip this bit-
of course the fact I can still turn it into a joke is probably good
news for my sanity! I appear to have some left!)

We've both had some sort of bug, nothing I can put my finger on, might
just be the weather but I've been a bit tired and Dave's had a bit of
an upset stomach so yesterday lunchtime when I asked what he fancied
for lunch he said "Fish n'chips"

I pointed out that since that chippy changed hands and the only other
one in the area closed down, the stuff has been pretty ropy but no.
macho man can handle it and wants fish n'chips so that's what he gets
(I had a jacket potato I am not stupid) and much as I anticipated it
was awful. I think it was yesterday's fish refried, it isn't normal to
have to use both hands and brute force on fried cod! I even offered to
take it back but Dave just ate what he could and binned the rest (The
Fabulous Furballs are not normal cats in some ways- Fugazi and Isis
loved a bit of cod. We couldn't eat it without two pairs of eyes
watching our every move and looking as if to say "We aren't hassling
you- we're just reminding you that we are here and in exchange for not
hassling you, we expect something in the bowl at the end of it"- Funny
thing was Fugazi had a preference for the batter! The current
incumbents of the post of our owners won't touch the stuff then again
they moved in about the time the chippy started to go downhill so
maybe that's it and if we showed them some of the beautiful fish we
used to get, they;'d eat it). Dave moaned about it making him queasy
all day I mean he only watched "Airplane" the other week and he still
ate the fish!

So we passed Saturday as we do, on our respective computers, a few
beers, some telly (Dave), some reading (Me) and later on we had
spaghetti bolongnese by which time Dave's stomach has settled down
from the fish then about 11.30 I felt tired and went to bed.

This leaves Dave to sit up a little longer because the Fortean List
members in America don't really start to come online until midnight
but then he decided he would come to bed early, the fish was having an
encore. So he thinks what would cheer Lesley up? Some tanglible proof
that things are getting better, he toys with walking to the bedroom
but as his stomach is now certainly protesting he decides he'll do it
on the frame, at least that's better than using the chair.

Now any normal Human being might have made a diversion to the toilet
in view of the fish but who said Dave was a normal Human being?

Imagine the scene if you will, it is 1.10 in the morning. Lesley is
curled up under a sheet possibly having a pleasant dream (involving 2
hunks and a vat of organic chocolate sauce! Has to be organic- I can't
stand ordinary chocolate after trying organic- come to think of it
hunks are optional- dream chocolate contains no calories)

Dave says "Look I'm using the frame. I was going to walk in but I felt
a bit unsteady but at least I didn't use the chair"

Sleepily Lesley says "That's good"

The next thing Dave says is a rude awakening "Get the bowl I'm gonna
be sick!"

Of course a combination of my being half asleep and having to dodge
round the frame means by the time I return to the bedroom with the
bowl, spag bol is decorating the bedroom carpet.

So within 2 minutes of waking up, I've got kitchen towel to hand and
am cleaning up the mess while Dave apologies. Without thinking I fling
the soiled kitchen towel down the loo and flush it...it blocks...so 5
minutes ago I was peacefully asleep and now I have got Dave being
upset, the carpet a mess and I am unblocking the toilet (Thank God for
the trusty plunger!)

Some nights it's hardly worth going to bed....

Old July 15th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default Has common sense finally happened?

I just had it out a bit with Dave, he said he was worried he might end
up back in hospital and he is determined not to go back there. So I
pointed out that it was probably nothing but he needed to get his foot
checked, He countered that the staff were all busy and I said I was
pretty sure they'd rather nip any problems in the bud than have all
their work undone and have to start again. He said he didn't know who
to talk to so I suggested he call Klaus or Nancy he said it wasn't
their department I said okay but they'll know who to ask,

Then I am afraid I said either he could call them or I would. He
thought he had me there as I don't know the number so I told him in
exact detail how to get the service directory off the internet, adding
that it was a Word document and as he doesn't have Word on his machine
I could get it faster than he could

Dave: "You wouldn't....."

He gave me a reproachful look a big mistake.....whoa! I have been
owned by cats for over 20 years and I am falling for this amateur.
Have I not been reproachfully looked at my mistresses of the art? I
mean Dunzi's "Don't you love me anymore even through I am protecting
you from the TP greeblings? Sorry about the fact that you wanted to
use the TP and didn't realise I'd been checking it. The floors clean
and you won't get too much cat litter in a sensitive area" look is
pretty good but I survived 16 years with Isis, the emeritus professor
of feline cute her "You don't love me anymore as my dinner is 5
nanoseconds late" was a masterpiece

And I am falling for this amateur?!!!!

Result he is going to call them and has been left in no doubt if he
doesn't I will

Old July 15th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Lesley" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

That sounds like a good thing. I hope it turns out that way.

Joy