I want a Scottish Fold

Old December 14th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Default I want a Scottish Fold

I think the breeder didn't want to spend more time caring for Abelard's
eye. It was badly infected when he was very young and I think that is what
ruined it. She was still treating him for it when she gave him to me, and
he was only 7 weeks old.

7 weeks old is young to leave his mom, isn't it? I thought it was
usually 8 and better if it's 12. (I certainly don't blame you, it
isn't your fault that's the age the breeder chose to part with him.)
Still it sounds as though Abe is a lucky boy.

--Fil

Old December 14th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"Enfilade" wrote

I think the breeder didn't want to spend more time caring for Abelard's
eye. It was badly infected when he was very young and I think that is
what
ruined it. She was still treating him for it when she gave him to me,
and
he was only 7 weeks old.

7 weeks old is young to leave his mom, isn't it? I thought it was
usually 8 and better if it's 12. (I certainly don't blame you, it
isn't your fault that's the age the breeder chose to part with him.)
Still it sounds as though Abe is a lucky boy.

I thought it was too young, also, but I knew his eye would get more
attention from me than from her, also I didn't want to "look a gift horse in
the mouth".

Old December 14th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

gracecat wrote:

It makes sense why she didn't charge you now that I think about. On one
hand... If it a cat comes with a potentially expensive vet problem then it's
asking the new owner to take a load of responsibility. On the other, some of
them look at it as a chance to make sure the new owner is serious about the
cat too. I think both thoughts on cattery adoption is appropriate for
certain situations. (Don't mean to imply she should have charged you to make
sure you were a good cat mom)

Anyway, that's only important if you don't know the person who's adopting
the animal. If you do, and you trust the person, then there's no reason
to charge, unless that's what you and the adopter agree on.

I think Pat lucked out - Abelard is a beauty and sounds like a great cat!

Joyce
Old December 14th 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

good on you for getting a special kitty... I didn't even know they did that.
Lee
Pat wrote in message
et...
Abyssinian - blind in one eye, breeder could not sell him so she gave him

me. I was on her list for a free Maine Coon (either retiring or a

defective
kitten) and got an Aby instead....

"Stormmee" wrote

what is he? Lee

Pat wrote

"Stormmee" wrote

look at the prices... that stops me cold, Lee

Of course I would never buy a cat. But if I could get one through

rescue,
or
a "factory reject" (like Abelard)....

Old December 15th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Gandalf wrote:
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 13:00:53 -0600, "Pat"
wrote:

They're by far the cutest kittens in existence. I need support to
keep from trying to get one. If one becomes available to me I will
not be able to resist....

In the summer (it's full winter here) when I go for a walk or bicycle
ride, I *always* go by a certain house. The woman who lives there used
to breed Scottish Folds! She has 8 to 10 cats, including 3 Scottish
Folds, and 3 straight eared Scottish Folds.

They are *SO* cute! Even the straight eared kitties are really neat:
they have *BIG* round eyes, little ears, and they are short and round
all over; really cobby bodies. Even their tails are short, and tapered
to a point like a kitten's.

They are all so sweet looking. And friendly. There is a silver tabby
who is an absolutely beautiful kitty, and an orange and white boy
named T. Rex. Strangest name I've ever heard for a cat!

Probably named after the rock band from the early 1970's, not the dinosaur!
LOL

Jill

Old December 15th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
NeeCee

i like them too
et...

Old December 15th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

I thought it was too young, also, but I knew his eye would get more
attention from me than from her, also I didn't want to "look a gift horse in
the mouth".

Exactly. I remember looking at the bits, 3 weeks old and thinking
"really what choice do we have?" Sometimes you just have to make the
best of the hand you're dealt. It certainly doesn't look like Abe has
suffered any.

(As for the bits, well, the urge to "type just like MomDad" is a bit
warped, but...)

--Fil

Old December 17th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Pat wrote:
"gracecat" wrote

why don't you contact the national scottish fold rescue organization
and inquire about temporary fostering?

I might do that. But in my out-of-the-way location and with seven
other cats in the house, I doubt they would ever send me a foster. If
I did get one it would have to be a tiny kitten or the resident
felines would go nuts. None of them have ever really objected to a
new kitten except once, when Baby Eyes was miffed about Beatrice at
first (they are inseparable now, I think Beatrice believes Baby Eyes
is her long-lost mama, and Baby Eyes can't remember why she didn't
like Beatrice initially).

I could easily get another cat. I only have two. I could afford to feed
another 3 or even more.
What I wouldn't be able to afford would be the vet bill if all my extra cats
got ill at the same time, so I've decided to be sensible and just keep two.

Tweed

Old December 18th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

gracecat wrote:

snip
I don't mean to be down on you Pat. I did the same thing. I adopted two cats
within two months of my daughter's passing. On top of one I had already and
a dog... and I was NOT mentally capable of providing care to all of them.
Even my dog that I adore and keep a very keen eye on went neglected of her
monthly heartworm for more than six months. It was this time last year I was
in tears at my vet's office for being so horrible in 2005. If I understand
it correctly you have a couple rough weeks from time to time. I wouldn't
advise it on this alone.

You really don't need one hon. And that's not me saying you don't need one.
That's me saying if you're asking for support, then you know it may not be a
good idea. But if you're insistent on getting some hands on with a scottish
fold, why don't you contact the national scottish fold rescue organization
and inquire about temporary fostering?

Gracie

Lots and lots of purrs and hugs for you, Gracie,
Polonca and Soncek