[OT] network help

Old March 12th 07, 10:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default [OT] network help

Hi Everyone,

I'm posting from Google groups because we finaly decided to hook up
the bigger better newer computer ot the internet, and thought it
wouldbe a great idea to network them and share the internet (ADSL)
conenction.

The good news is that they are finally networked (through a crossover
Ethernet cable).

The bad news is that now only the bigger better newer computer can
access the internet - the old one with my *years* of messages, e-mails
etc etc, can't.

I've gone through the various 'Wizards' in XP and set this one as the
host and the old one as the client, but the old one just doens't pick
up the internet connection.

Any help, hints, or URLs that will put as right would be very
appreciated.

Yowie

Old March 12th 07, 11:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

Yowie wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm posting from Google groups because we finaly decided to hook up
the bigger better newer computer ot the internet, and thought it
wouldbe a great idea to network them and share the internet (ADSL)
conenction.

The good news is that they are finally networked (through a crossover
Ethernet cable).

The bad news is that now only the bigger better newer computer can
access the internet - the old one with my *years* of messages, e-mails
etc etc, can't.

I've gone through the various 'Wizards' in XP and set this one as the
host and the old one as the client, but the old one just doens't pick
up the internet connection.

Any help, hints, or URLs that will put as right would be very
appreciated.

Yowie

We've networked our two computers on a number of occasions, but the back
computer can sometimes see the front computer and sometimes not and we can't
figure out why. We don't change settings, but, again, sometimes they see
each other and sometimes they don't. We've got a wireless connection, and
so do quite a lot of neighbors, so I'm assuming that's why - it's looking
for other signals instead of the one in the house.

Question, are you networking computer to computer or through a router? If
you're using a cat 5 cable, I would personally try using a router instead of
crossover ethernet through your nic card. I don't think a crossover would
work in this situation anyway.

Another question, do you have your main computer set up as a gateway to the
internet or a shared connection through a router?

If I knew more details, I might be able to help you.

kili

kili

Old March 12th 07, 11:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Yowie wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm posting from Google groups because we finaly decided to hook up
the bigger better newer computer ot the internet, and thought it
wouldbe a great idea to network them and share the internet (ADSL)
conenction.

The good news is that they are finally networked (through a crossover
Ethernet cable).

The bad news is that now only the bigger better newer computer can
access the internet - the old one with my *years* of messages, e-mails
etc etc, can't.

I've gone through the various 'Wizards' in XP and set this one as the
host and the old one as the client, but the old one just doens't pick
up the internet connection.

Any help, hints, or URLs that will put as right would be very
appreciated.

Yowie

What I did was to connect all the computers to an ADSL router, that way no
machine relys on another for an internet connection. I also intend to get a
printer server so I can print from any computer whether another is on or
not.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old March 13th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
sam

Yowie wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm posting from Google groups because we finaly decided to hook up
the bigger better newer computer ot the internet, and thought it
wouldbe a great idea to network them and share the internet (ADSL)
conenction.

The good news is that they are finally networked (through a crossover
Ethernet cable).

The bad news is that now only the bigger better newer computer can
access the internet - the old one with my *years* of messages, e-mails
etc etc, can't.

I've gone through the various 'Wizards' in XP and set this one as the
host and the old one as the client, but the old one just doens't pick
up the internet connection.

Any help, hints, or URLs that will put as right would be very
appreciated.

Yowie

If you ADSL router has multiple ports, connect both computers to the LAN
side of it with a "straight" (non-crossover) cable. If it doesn't, hie
thee to a computer store and get a 4- or 5-port Ethernet switch.
Connect the Ethernet switch to the ADSL router, then connect both
computers to the switch.

Not sure about Australia, but in the US, the ADSL routers the telco
supplies have a built-in DHCP server that will give out unique IP
addresses to the machines it sees. The switch will let both computers
see the ADSL router (and vice versa). As each machine is turned on, it
will ask for an IP address. The DHCP server will see that request and
supply one that nobody else is using from its address pool. It will
also do some magic so that everybody can use the Internet at once
without interfering with the other.

Hope this helps.
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe

Old March 13th 07, 10:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

sam wrote:
Yowie wrote:
[...]

I suspect Yowie has a USB ADSL modem, a combined modem/router would be much
easier to use once all the log-on details are stored in the router.

Old March 14th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
sam

Adrian A wrote:
sam wrote:
Yowie wrote:
[...]

In the US, all the DSL modems I've seen have at least a single Ethernet
built in (some have a 4-port 10/100 switch) in addition to the USB.

If she'll send me the modem brand/model number, I'll look up the
documentation on the web and can tell her exactly what she needs.

Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe

International Cat Show on Games Show Network in March. kraut Cat community 0 January 19th 07 09:15 PM
Food and Beverag Network Food and Beverage Network Cat health & behaviour 0 September 5th 05 08:21 PM
Shelter Network. Kalyahna Cat rescue 3 February 2nd 05 05:22 PM
Shelter Network. Kalyahna Cat health & behaviour 2 February 1st 05 10:15 PM