D*mn I'm mad

Old January 2nd 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

Default D*mn I'm mad

On 2008-01-02 04:19:03 -0600, Marina said:

Sorry, but I need to vent.

I have a cleaner coming in a couple of times a month, because I just
can't keep up with housework with my hand problems.

The cleaner came today. I always go out while he's here, to be out of
the way. When I came home, the flat was spotless - nothing to complain
about there - but a while later I spotted something in Caliban's food
bowl. Took a closer look. Kibble! It was *half full* of kibble!

I know some people free-feed their cats dry food, but even if I wanted
to give Caliban dry food, I couldn't free-feed him because he hoovers
everything he sees at once. I don't know why he hadn't touched this
food, unless maybe the bowl had been *full* and he had eaten half of
it! The other option, which I'm hoping is the right one, is that it was
'off' somehow, so he didn't eat any of it. Though where does he come
off giving my cat food that's off, if that's the case?

Grrrr. I'm so mad. I know the cleaner likes cats, but he shouldn't be
trying to buy Caliban's affection with food, especially not kibble
(Caliban hides when the cleaner comes, because he knows the sucky
monster will come out soon and eat the floor).

Vent over.

I did write a polite e-mail requesting they don't feed my cats without
permission in future. I pointed out that Caliban had just come off a
rigorous diet to lose some dangerous overweight and that, besides
overweight, dry food can cause kidney disease in cats. I hope I managed
to teach the cleaner something.

Could have been disasterous for a diabetic kitty. I'm sure they thought
it was a treat. A polite email sounds like the best decision.

Old January 2nd 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2008-01-02 08:10:12 -0600, kraut
said:

Not to take on the cleaners side, but it sounds like he thought he was
just doing a good turn. He didn't know any better. Many people do not
treat their cats with the same attention we give ours and do not worry
about obesity and have not encountered health problems that need to be
dealt with with their own cats so they are not even really aware that
something serious could happen with a bowl of cat food.

I did recognize that, though I blew my top here by myself when I
discovered it. I knew at the same time that he thought he was doing a
nice thing. But I don't know where the food came from. I have a small
bag of kibble here, that I give Caliban maybe 2-3 pieces of about once
a week, but the food in the bowl looked different. So they must have
brought it.

I got an apologetic reply, too, and a promise that it won't happen
again. I don't think I sounded too angry in my message.

GET OVER IT ALREADY!!! Or are you one of these people that live to
complain?!?! I know a few of them and I try my hardest to avoid them
at all cost!!!

They could find a pile of money and still complain about it!!!

That was a little over the top, eh? It really is a medically
disasterous thing for some kitties to receive kibble. I'm sure the
person thought they were being nice. I'm not sure where this vituperous
response came from.

Old January 2nd 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Cheddar-Cauliflower Soup

Kreisleriana wrote:

My brother made this for me when I was down in DC last week. Good with a
nice French or Italian bread and a salad:

2 Tbs. olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
1 head cauliflower, about 2 1/2 lb., cut into
florets
5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups heavy cream
2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more, to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
8 oz. white cheddar cheese, shredded
Toasted crusty bread for serving

That sounds wonderful!! Can't wait to try it.

Joyce

PS - I totally missed the exchange that prompted this recipe.

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old January 2nd 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On 2008-01-02 08:10:12 -0600, kraut wrote:

[indication of missed meds deleted]

That was a little over the top, eh? It really is a medically
disasterous thing for some kitties to receive kibble. I'm sure the
person thought they were being nice. I'm not sure where this vituperous
response came from.

It's typical of this poster.

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old January 2nd 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat

For my evening meal I had a jacket potato filled with a scrummy mix of tuna,
diced red onion, diced red apple, a little chives, celery seeds, garlic,
black pepper and fat-free fromage frais. Tasty, filling & quick.

Happy New Year all

Old January 2nd 08, 07:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

On 2008-01-02 08:10:12 -0600, kraut wrote:

[indication of missed meds deleted]

That was a little over the top, eh? It really is a medically
disasterous thing for some kitties to receive kibble. I'm sure the
person thought they were being nice. I'm not sure where this vituperous
response came from.

It's typical of this poster.

Joyce

Thus these lovely, fattening soup recipes:

Roasted Potato Soup with Sour Cream and Bacon

4 thin-skinned medium potatoes, like Yukon Gold or Carola, skin on, sliced
¾-inch thick
2 teaspoons olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
6 thyme sprigs
6 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
½ cup sour cream
2 tablespoons minced chives (optional).

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Toss potatoes in oil and ½ teaspoon salt.
Spread on a rimmed baking sheet and bake uncovered until tender, about 35
minutes. Transfer to a pot with a tight-fitting lid. Pour 1 cup boiling
water into baking sheet and swirl to deglaze, then pour into pot with
potatoes. Add bay leaf, thyme and 5 cups boiling water, cover tightly, and
set aside for 1 hour. Remove bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Using a hand blender
or working in batches in a blender, purée soup until smooth, adding more
boiling water if mixture is too thick. Season with salt and pepper, keeping
in mind that the bacon garnish will be salty.

Old January 2nd 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Marina" wrote in message
[...]

I am with you on this Marina. I would be cross too. I suppose Caliban gave
him the "I am dropping dead of starvation here" and it might have been hard
to resist.
If I had a cleaner (I wish) once Boyfie had got used to them I am sure he
would try the same thing. It's not easy to have a very greedy cat.

My neighbour managed to get through 4 weeks worth of cat food in 2 weeks
when I was in Germany (not likely to happen again)
He has no experience with cats. He's a dog and chicken person. He said "I
nearly ran out of food for your cats." Yeah? I forgot to tell him that
Boyfie can eat more than an elephant, given the chance and he *was* given
the chance because my lovely neighbour wanted to make sure he got enough
while I was away :-)

These tabby and white boys sigh

Tweed

Old January 2nd 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Christina Websell wrote:

I am with you on this Marina. I would be cross too. I suppose Caliban gave
him the "I am dropping dead of starvation here" and it might have been hard
to resist.
If I had a cleaner (I wish) once Boyfie had got used to them I am sure he
would try the same thing. It's not easy to have a very greedy cat.

My neighbour managed to get through 4 weeks worth of cat food in 2 weeks
when I was in Germany (not likely to happen again)
He has no experience with cats. He's a dog and chicken person. He said "I
nearly ran out of food for your cats." Yeah? I forgot to tell him that
Boyfie can eat more than an elephant, given the chance and he *was* given
the chance because my lovely neighbour wanted to make sure he got enough
while I was away :-)

These tabby and white boys sigh

I'm laughing about the whole thing now. I think Caliban may be having
second thoughts about begging for food from the cleaner. He has been
very still all evening. It may be that it's not so easy to suddenly
digest a tummy full of kibble when you've had a diet of fresh meat for a
long time.

Old January 2nd 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Karen wrote:

Could have been disasterous for a diabetic kitty. I'm sure they thought
it was a treat. A polite email sounds like the best decision.

I hadn't even thought of the danger to a diabetic cat. The mind boggles.

Old January 2nd 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Marina" wrote in message
[...]

I hope so too. Since you were polite about it, I would imagine your message
got through. Congratulations on being able to do that. I would imagine
that once won't hurt him, but you certainly wouldn't want the cleaner to
make a habit of it.

Joy