D*mn I'm mad

Old January 7th 08, 05:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default D*mn I'm mad

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
We've had a helluva lot of cats. The ones that preferred dry food all
had far better teeth and gums than the others. The "myth" works fine
for us.

My family always had cats. None of them had dry food, ever, because it
didn't even appear on the Finnish market until maybe the 1980s. None of
them had problems with their teeth.

Old January 7th 08, 05:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
Evidently that's another of the many statements one cannot categorically
make about ALL cats! (Mine not only chew their dry food, but do it so
loudly I can clearly hear them in the adjacent room!)

When cats eat dry food, they crunch down once on each piece of kibble.
It shatters and they swallow the pieces. They don't chew each piece over
and over like a herbivore, say, a cow. The sound comes from eating
several pieces in succession, biting down once on each.

Old January 7th 08, 05:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
We've had a helluva lot of cats. The ones that preferred dry food all
had far better teeth and gums than the others. The "myth" works fine
for us.

Our cats have healthy gums and teeth, only Luna and Xoxo (our old guy)
have required dental cleanings. Both Luna and Xoxo love kibble. Well,
Luna loves food, period.
Maya and Basho rarely eat kibble, and they have never had dental issues.

I read an article sometime ago (posted by Phil M., if I remember
correctly) about how kibble must be dog-size so that the abrasive action
can actually do any good. That's why the Science Diet dental formula is
so large. Think about it. Small kibble, chewed mostly on the molars,
will only abrade the surface of those teeth. Nothing on the sides, which
is where the tartar forms. It would have to be a very large kibble for
it to actually abrade the sides of the teeth.

Cheers.

Victor

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 7th 08, 08:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2008-01-06, Stormmee penned:
vet says its dependent on the cat, her philosophy is it goes cat to cat, Lee

My vet says it was never really proved for dogs, and that even if it
were true for dogs it wouldn't prove anything for cats. Regardless,
the benefits of wet over dry are significant in terms of preventing
diabetes (granted this assumes higher grain content in dry, which may
not be true depending on the specifics).

*sigh* but Oscar has made it clear she's willing to fast until I give
her dry food, and I'm not willing to do that to her when she's already
ill. So dry food it is ... at least I do try to keep her on the
low-grain varieties.

On 2008-01-06, Jack Campin - bogus address penned:

If I'd been looking after your cats for you, I'd have done exactly
the same as your cleaner unless you had given me a very good reason
not to. (The weight problem would have been such a reason, but the
kidney disease scare is just nonsense; if a cat gets enough water
there's no issue, and dry food is better for their teeth).

To the best of my knowledge the idea that dry food is better for cat
teeth is no longer considered correct.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old January 7th 08, 09:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Yes, sometimes, at least, you just have to feed them what they'll eat.

Joy

Old January 7th 08, 09:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

exactly my point like in humans, I agree with the vet... if I were going on
taste preferences I would never eat meat again, or would go literally months
in between for real red meat... however my health suffers if I do this, so
it stands to reasons that cats are the same, good you are listening to your
master and choosing the healthiest option for her, Lee

Old January 7th 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Marina wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Evidently that's another of the many statements one cannot
categorically make about ALL cats! (Mine not only chew their dry
food, but do it so loudly I can clearly hear them in the adjacent room!)

When cats eat dry food, they crunch down once on each piece of kibble.
It shatters and they swallow the pieces. They don't chew each piece over
and over like a herbivore, say, a cow. The sound comes from eating
several pieces in succession, biting down once on each.

Okay, but that still fits MY definition of "chewing". They
bite-down on it, they don't swallow it whole! What
difference does it make whether they chew it "thoroughly",
so long as their teeth get exercised?
Old January 8th 08, 05:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
Okay, but that still fits MY definition of "chewing". They bite-down on
it, they don't swallow it whole! What difference does it make whether
they chew it "thoroughly", so long as their teeth get exercised?

Maybe their teeth get exercise, but we were talking about dry food
allegedly helping to *clean* their teeth.

Old January 8th 08, 05:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2008-01-06, Marina penned:

Dry food does nothing for cats' teeth. It's a myth perpetuated by
clever advertising. Cats don't chew their food.

I've heard and seen Oscar crack some kibble into smaller pieces before
eating. Don't know if that counts as chewing. Crumbs generally
surround her plate.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old January 9th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Marina wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Okay, but that still fits MY definition of "chewing". They bite-down
on it, they don't swallow it whole! What difference does it make
whether they chew it "thoroughly", so long as their teeth get exercised?

Maybe their teeth get exercise, but we were talking about dry food
allegedly helping to *clean* their teeth.

Well, anything abrasive (like dry food) must have SOME
effect. (Whether or not it's enought to be therapeutic is
another matter.)