[OT] Hypnosis Anyone?

Old January 8th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

Default Hypnosis Anyone?

On Jan 8, 10:42 am, "CatNipped" wrote:
Has anyone here had experience with a hypnotist? I'm trying to talk DH into
going to one in order to help him quit smoking without gaining weight. I'd
like to be able to relate some success stories to him to help him make the
decision to spend the bucks it takes ($1,600 for 14 session - once a week
for 8 weeks then once a month for "maintenance").

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Lori,
Is there a reason you want him to quit without gaining weight?
Quitting smoking is very difficult to do. It is an addiction just like
alcohol and other pharmacologic drugs. He should be encouraged to
quit smoking without worrying too much about the weight he'll put on.
Make sure there are healthful snacks for him to munch on if he does
get an urge to eat. On January 12th it will be 6 months since I last
smoked a cigarette. Like Randy, I've used Chantix to quit and this
has been one of the easiest quits I could imagine. I've only tried,
seriously, a few times but this time I put them down and haven't
smoked another one. Another source to help a person quit is a support
group. I participate at www.quitnet.com. There is a forum for people
who are quitting using any method then there are clubs for people who
use specific methods. I belong to the Chantix Users Club and we share
not only support when someone is feeling weak but also how we are
feeling, what to expect at different times of our quit, etc as well as
celebrate milestones. Someone else asked if he really wants to quit.
Although he might be financially oriented, he will find a way to
justify his reasons for smoking if he really wants a cigarette. I
strongly recommend Chantix to anyone who is interested in quitting.
It does require a doctor's prescription and some insurance companies
don't pay for the drug. Pfizer has some financial support available
to qualified individuals and the cost of the drug is cheaper than the
cost of a month supply of cigarettes.

Julie
getting off her soapbox now, nothing worse than a newly fledged non-
smoker
Old January 8th 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon

Years ago I tried a hypnotist - not a group session, but one on one.
It worked for one day.

After smoking for 45 years, I went with the Nicotrol inhaler - have to
get a perscription from the doctor - but it worked wonderfully for
me. Still was the hand to mouth thing, etc.

I agree with Jill - if someone doesn't want to quit - no matter what
they use they will fail.

I haven't smoked for 3 years and it doesn't even smell good to me - my
husband still smokes - and in the house too!! I tried everything
before Nicotrol and nothing else worked.
Sharon

On Jan 8, 1:02�pm, Lorraine wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 09:42:15 -0600, "CatNipped"

wrote:
Has anyone here had experience with a hypnotist? �

Many years ago, while I was still smoking, a friend invited me to a
group session with a hypnotist. �It was a session set up and paid for by
her employer. �I didn't have any interest in quitting at the time, but I
went anyway. �I guess I was bored that night?

So, among a room full of other people, I was hypnotized. �The actual
hypnotic experience was much like Christine described. �I was fully
aware of what was going on, but I did get pretty relaxed. �The actual
hypnosis session took 20 minutes from start to finish, but it seemed
more like 10 minutes. �Each person was given a cassette tape to take
home. �I think the instructions said to listen to it upon waking each
morning, and then again when going to bed. �Of course, one would want to
choose a time when there would be no interruptions. �That was hard for
me because I always seemed to have a cat walking on me, trying to nest
in my hair, etc.

Anyway, after the group session, a big ceremony was made of throwing
away the cigarettes, lighters, cases, etc. �I threw away the cigarettes
like the others, but kept my case and lighter. Keep in mind, I didn't
want to quit, and I had a really cool case.

After we left, my friend and I hit the bars. �Like many, I had a real
weakness while drinking when it came to smoking. �However, I didn't have
any cigarettes as I threw them away during the ceremony, and I wouldn't
even think of paying bar prices. Once my other friends heard where we
had been, they refused to let us bum off of them. So, I didn't smoke
that night. �Or the next, or the next... �I went three months with
relative ease without smoking even though I didn't really want to quit.
I think my friend went about a year that time. Both of us have since
quit for good. �When I was interested in quitting for good, I did dig
out the hypnosis tape and used it daily for quite a while. I felt it
helped. �I found it relatively easy to quit for good once I had it in my
mind that it was what I wanted.

So... yes, I started back up again at three months. �Possibly with a
little support and encouragement I would have stayed quit for good. I
don't really know. �At the time, I still actually enjoyed smoking. �I
wasn't smoking that much then. �Later, when I was up to two plus packs a
day, I no longer enjoyed it. I don't know where your DH may be in that
respect. �

Oh, I still gained weight when I quit for good. �I don't remember if I
gained any during that three month span. �One should remember that
nicotine is a stimulant. �I think I once heard that there is about a 10%
drop in metabolism when one quits. �It can be done without gaining, but
it takes extra effort not to gain at all. �Well, unless one happens to
be one of those with the magic metabolisms. �I'm not.

Overall, I think the hypnosis helped. �Would I have paid $1600 for it
not knowing if it would help me or not? �I don't know..... �

Old January 8th 08, 06:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default [OT] Hypnosis Anyone?

wrote:
Has anyone here had experience with a hypnotist? I'm trying to talk DH
into
going to one in order to help him quit smoking without gaining weight.
I'd
like to be able to relate some success stories to him to help him make
the
decision to spend the bucks it takes ($1,600 for 14 session - once a week
for 8 weeks then once a month for "maintenance").

Sounds like a scam.

The best treatment is to visit some lung cancer patients in the hospital.

I think that is a bit simplistic - everyone knows that smoking causes lung
cancer, everyone knows that lung cancer is a terrible and painful way to
die, so why does *anyone* still smoke? DH's father died of cancer and it
hasn't stopped him from smoking.

But thinking about it, and to answer you and Jill (sorry Jill, I'm trying
to save my arthritic fingers) - I think DH is so, um, er, "financially
responsible" that if he has to pay $1,600 for something he will *MAKE
SURE* it works! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

In that case, it sounds like a good idea. I think everyone needs an
incentive that will work for them.

Joy

Old January 8th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message
"CatNipped" wrote in message
Has anyone here had experience with a hypnotist? I'm trying to talk DH
into going to one in order to help him quit smoking without gaining
weight. I'd like to be able to relate some success stories to him to
help him make the decision to spend the bucks it takes ($1,600 for 14
session - once a week for 8 weeks then once a month for "maintenance").

Dad did it for smoking many, many years ago. He never picked up a ciggie
again. Not even one. Strange thing is to this day, he still craves the
smokes. (And I'm talking around 35 years later)! I am struggling right
now w/trying to quit. I stopped on Dec. 22nd ('07), but I ended up buying
a pack yesterday b/c I went back to work for the 1st time in a year!!

I have the patches, but I don't feel that they're working. I'm probably
going w/the Chantex (sp?). Lori, has your hubby tried the Rx yet? Either
way, I hope it works for him!!!

--

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

I hope you find something that works for you, Laurie!

Joy

Old January 8th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Randy" wrote in message
news
"CatNipped" wrote:
Has anyone here had experience with a hypnotist? I'm trying to talk DH
into
going to one in order to help him quit smoking without gaining weight.
I'd
like to be able to relate some success stories to him to help him make the
decision to spend the bucks it takes ($1,600 for 14 session - once a week
for 8 weeks then once a month for "maintenance").

--

I went to a session once, it was one of those advertised in the paper. I
walked

Randy

http://picasaweb.google.com/crmartin1

Congratulations, Randy! Keep up the good work!

--
Joy

A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy
enough people to make it worth the effort. - Herm Albrigh

Old January 8th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"GaDragonfly" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe he's already overweight? My husband was an overweight smoker. He
finally got the incentive he needed to quit smoking - when he was diagnosed
with lung cancer. He quit then, but it was too late.

Joy

Old January 8th 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

On Jan 8, 2:01 pm, "Joy" wrote:

Maybe he's already overweight? My husband was an overweight smoker. He
finally got the incentive he needed to quit smoking - when he was diagnosed
with lung cancer. He quit then, but it was too late.

Joy

I'm overweight but that was even more incentive to me to quit smoking.
I knew going in I would probably add some weight that I didn't need to
add but decided I would work on that project after I quit smoking. Of
the two issues I decided smoking was more critical. The reason I
asked is that fear of gaining weight is a great excuse to delay
quitting smoking as well as a good excuse for why you quit your quit.
I think that unless its for a particular medical reason that gaining
weight or not gaining weight shouldn't be an issue when you're
considering quiting smoking.

Julie
Old January 8th 08, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Normin

I went to a hypnotist 12 years ago to quit smoking. It worked
for me. I only went for one hour-long visit, walked out of there
thinking it didn't work, ****ed off at the world for the next 6
months, but never lit another cigarette.

It cost me $100 at the time.

Since then I've tried to find a hypnotist to do the same thing
for my daughter. There is no one around here who will do it in
one session any more, and the cost has risen quite a bit too.

Sara

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Has anyone here had experience with a hypnotist? I'm trying to
talk DH into going to one in order to help him quit smoking
without gaining weight. I'd like to be able to relate some
success stories to him to help him make the decision to spend
the bucks it takes ($1,600 for 14 session - once a week for 8
weeks then once a month for "maintenance").

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters at:
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old January 8th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lorraine

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 10:47:12 -0800 (PST), GaDragonfly
wrote:

Another source to help a person quit is a support
group.

Also, if he is a Usenet fan, there is alt.support.stop-smoking. It has a
been a very good support group in the past. It can seem a little rough
around the edges at times, but then support doesn't always appear to be
nice at the time it's being given.

I just checked the quit list of the group, and I am now listed as an
Olympian Old Fogie. I'm about 6 weeks away from being moved to the
Titanic Old Fogie list (over 10 years). Yippee!

I still miss them from time to time. :-/ I agree with Julie on the
weight thing. Sometimes it's just too much to handle all at one time.

L.
Old January 8th 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
AZ Nomad

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 09:42:15 -0600, CatNipped wrote:
Has anyone here had experience with a hypnotist? I'm trying to talk DH into
going to one in order to help him quit smoking without gaining weight. I'd
like to be able to relate some success stories to him to help him make the
decision to spend the bucks it takes ($1,600 for 14 session - once a week
for 8 weeks then once a month for "maintenance").

One thing to check is their policy for people who aren't good hypnotic
subjects. Only perhaps 50% of the population (less?) make good hypnotic
subjects. If you're not in that group, the therapy will be a waste of time
and the sooner you quit, the less money you'll waste. If they insist that
it is beneficial for everybody then you have a hint that they are more
interested in taking your money than providing beneficial use of it.