[OT] Hypnosis Anyone?

Old January 8th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

Default [OT] Hypnosis Anyone?

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Has anyone here had experience with a hypnotist? I'm trying to talk DH
into going to one in order to help him quit smoking without gaining
weight. I'd like to be able to relate some success stories to him to help
him make the decision to spend the bucks it takes ($1,600 for 14 session -
once a week for 8 weeks then once a month for "maintenance").

--

I have used hypnosis once, and that worked well for me. I'd had a bad car
accident and was having uncontrollable flashbacks that were making me crazy,

What we did was more conscious that I had thought of hypnosis of being. I
was aware the whole time. It amounted to short circuiting the flashbacks,
to where when one started it would be immediately replaced by something
else.

Its been over twenty years and it still works beautifully.

I need to see it the therapist is still in the area. I could use help with
something else. Something I'll share if it works.

I'm thinking quitting smoking would be harder since it would be harder to
make yourself co-operate with the process. Part of you would want to keep
smoking.

Jo

Old January 8th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message
"CatNipped" wrote in message
Has anyone here had experience with a hypnotist? I'm trying to talk DH
into going to one in order to help him quit smoking without gaining
weight. I'd like to be able to relate some success stories to him to
help him make the decision to spend the bucks it takes ($1,600 for 14
session - once a week for 8 weeks then once a month for "maintenance").

Dad did it for smoking many, many years ago. He never picked up a ciggie
again. Not even one. Strange thing is to this day, he still craves the
smokes. (And I'm talking around 35 years later)! I am struggling right
now w/trying to quit. I stopped on Dec. 22nd ('07), but I ended up
buying a pack yesterday b/c I went back to work for the 1st time in a
year!!

I have the patches, but I don't feel that they're working. I'm probably
going w/the Chantex (sp?). Lori, has your hubby tried the Rx yet?
Either way, I hope it works for him!!!

Nope, I couldn't get him in to see a doctor is he had small pox! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

I find that fascinating. He won't see a medical doctor but is willing to
let a hypnotist mess with his mind?

Shrugs... It takes all kinds, and we love them anyway.

Jo

Old January 8th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Has anyone here had experience with a hypnotist? I'm trying to talk DH
into going to one in order to help him quit smoking without gaining
weight. I'd like to be able to relate some success stories to him to help
him make the decision to spend the bucks it takes ($1,600 for 14 session -
once a week for 8 weeks then once a month for "maintenance").

To be honest, I don't think you can talk anyone into giving up smoking. If
they do not make the decision themselves they will always fail. I certainly
would not waste all this money if it is not his idea.

Tweed

Old January 8th 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

No, actually *I'm* the one who went to the hypnotist to get information and
I'm trying to talk DH into doing it to stop smoking. I'm really, really
worried that I'm going to lose him to this nasty habit!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 8th 08, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Hypnosis Anyone?

"GaDragonfly" wrote in message
On Jan 8, 10:42 am, "CatNipped" wrote:
Has anyone here had experience with a hypnotist? I'm trying to talk DH
into
going to one in order to help him quit smoking without gaining weight.
I'd
like to be able to relate some success stories to him to help him make
the
decision to spend the bucks it takes ($1,600 for 14 session - once a week
for 8 weeks then once a month for "maintenance").

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Lori,
Is there a reason you want him to quit without gaining weight?

Because he is dangerously overweight already - I'm afraid that he'll have
just as many if not more health problems with this as with smoking (and the
combination is already deadly).

Quitting smoking is very difficult to do. It is an addiction just like
alcohol and other pharmacologic drugs. He should be encouraged to
quit smoking without worrying too much about the weight he'll put on.
Make sure there are healthful snacks for him to munch on if he does
get an urge to eat. On January 12th it will be 6 months since I last
smoked a cigarette. Like Randy, I've used Chantix to quit and this
has been one of the easiest quits I could imagine. I've only tried,
seriously, a few times but this time I put them down and haven't
smoked another one. Another source to help a person quit is a support
group. I participate at www.quitnet.com. There is a forum for people
who are quitting using any method then there are clubs for people who
use specific methods. I belong to the Chantix Users Club and we share
not only support when someone is feeling weak but also how we are
feeling, what to expect at different times of our quit, etc as well as
celebrate milestones. Someone else asked if he really wants to quit.
Although he might be financially oriented, he will find a way to
justify his reasons for smoking if he really wants a cigarette. I
strongly recommend Chantix to anyone who is interested in quitting.
It does require a doctor's prescription and some insurance companies
don't pay for the drug. Pfizer has some financial support available
to qualified individuals and the cost of the drug is cheaper than the
cost of a month supply of cigarettes.

Julie
getting off her soapbox now, nothing worse than a newly fledged non-
smoker

Go ahead and crow all you'd like, you deserve to is you've managed to stay
quit. I'm going on 5 years now and still like to brag - but I know the only
way I'll stay quit is if I never, ever smoke another cigarette, not even
just one in a weak moment. If I do break down and have a single pull I'll
be back to smoking a pack a day in a week's time!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 8th 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Lorraine wrote:

Also, if he is a Usenet fan, there is alt.support.stop-smoking. It
has a been a very good support group in the past. It can seem a
little rough around the edges at times, but then support doesn't
always appear to be nice at the time it's being given.

I just checked the quit list of the group, and I am now listed as
an Olympian Old Fogie. I'm about 6 weeks away from being moved to
the Titanic Old Fogie list (over 10 years). Yippee!

LOL, what would my title be, then? I quit 20 years ago.

I still miss them from time to time. :-/

You could still hang out there, couldn't you? Or has the group
totally changed?

In 12-step groups, people are encouraged to hang around, long after
they've overcome their addiction. The old-timers provide inspiration,
wisdom, and strength to the newbies. And the newbies remind them of
where they NEVER want to go, ever again. I guess they don't do that
kind of thing with smoking-cessation. Once you're done, you're done.

That's probably because, even though smoking can have disasterous
health consequences down the road, it doesn't usually turn your life
upside-down in the immediate sense, the way a severe drinking or drug
problem can. Smoking messes with your health, but not really with
your mind. Most people don't do insane things while smoking, such as
committing crimes, having unprotected sex, abandoning their children,
etc, the way that addicts can sometimes do. You don't usually need a
whole new set of friends when you quit smoking (although your
non-smoking friends will probably enjoy your company more!). So I
guess, once a person quits smoking, they really are done, and they
don't need to keep going to meetings or doing any kind of program for
years afterward.

But I suppose if you wanted to check in from time to time to visit,
nobody would object!

Joyce
--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old January 8th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
AZ Nomad

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 16:08:14 -0600, CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Not likely.

An AA saying is "quit in the order they're killing you."
After he quits smoking, he can deal with the weight problem.

Newsflash: being overweight is from stuffing your face. Quit putting food
in your mouth in excess of your needs and you'll quit being so overweight.
Minimize eating processed foods and never eat fast food. Dining at
McDonalds is little better than having potato chips and soda for dinner.

Old January 8th 08, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Lorraine" wrote in message
On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 10:47:12 -0800 (PST), GaDragonfly
wrote:

Another source to help a person quit is a support
group.

Also, if he is a Usenet fan, there is alt.support.stop-smoking. It has a
been a very good support group in the past. It can seem a little rough
around the edges at times, but then support doesn't always appear to be
nice at the time it's being given.

I just checked the quit list of the group, and I am now listed as an
Olympian Old Fogie. I'm about 6 weeks away from being moved to the
Titanic Old Fogie list (over 10 years). Yippee!

I still miss them from time to time. :-/ I agree with Julie on the
weight thing. Sometimes it's just too much to handle all at one time.

L.

Congratulations, Lorraine! That is a real achievement!

Joy

Old January 8th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
Lorraine wrote:

Also, if he is a Usenet fan, there is alt.support.stop-smoking. It
has a been a very good support group in the past. It can seem a
little rough around the edges at times, but then support doesn't
always appear to be nice at the time it's being given.

I just checked the quit list of the group, and I am now listed as
an Olympian Old Fogie. I'm about 6 weeks away from being moved to
the Titanic Old Fogie list (over 10 years). Yippee!

LOL, what would my title be, then? I quit 20 years ago.

I still miss them from time to time. :-/

You could still hang out there, couldn't you? Or has the group
totally changed?

I thought she meant cigarettes.

Joy

Old January 8th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:
[...]

Like most good advice, that is easier said than done.

Joy