Dog Encounters Bigger Cat Than He Expected

Old January 9th 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Dog Encounters Bigger Cat Than He Expected

A lab/golden retriever mix dog got more than he bargained for when he
wandered into the Memphis zoo and jumped into the 'Cat Country' enclosure.

http://tinyurl.com/27zkg4

He was mauled by a Sumatran tiger. The dog has been treated by zoo
officials and they are trying to locate its owners.

I know the story isn't remotely funny but I can just imagine the look on
that dog's face when it ran into a 900 lb. cat. "Ooops! Nice kitty
kitty... nice kitty!"

Jill

Old January 9th 08, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Jan 9, 9:44*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
A lab/golden retriever mix dog got more than he bargained for when he
wandered into the Memphis zoo and jumped into the 'Cat Country' enclosure.

http://tinyurl.com/27zkg4

He was mauled by a Sumatran tiger. *The dog has been treated by zoo
officials and they are trying to locate its owners.

I know the story isn't remotely funny but I can just imagine the look on
that dog's face when it ran into a 900 lb. cat. *"Ooops! *Nice kitty
kitty... nice kitty!"

Jill

I find it worrisome that the dog could get _into_ the enclosure. Is
there a chance the tiger could get out as happened recently? BTW, I
don't have time to read the article at work but did they really say
that the Sumatran (a small variety of tiger) weighed that much?

Our Airdales, which were playfully aggressive with cats (never hurt
them but loved to harrass them) met a bobcat once. It was bad for
everyone involved.

Will in New Haven

Old January 9th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Will in New Haven wrote:
[...]

If you're referring to the kids who got into the tiger enclosure in a zoo,
San Francisco? recently... I'd have to say yes, it's pretty easy to get into
a cat enclosure at a zoo. If you're a limber kid you can certainly climb 18
feet (although they have no real idea how high that wall was, which amazes
me). I used to climb rocks and trees when I was a kid, some 30 feet up
sometimes. I wouldn't have been stupid enough to tease tigers and then go
into the enclosure, though. There's debate about whether or not there was
water in the moat at the San Francisco zoo. Frankly, I think tigers like to
bathe so that wouldn't be a deterrant... just IMO.

Sure, a dog could easily get into an enclosure and swim across the moat at
the Memphis zoo. Labs/golden retrievers love water. They're trained to
retrieve ducks in deep ponds. The zoo personnel saw the dog when it came in
and tried to track it but lost it along the many paths. I live here; I know
how confusing this zoo can be. They only realized it had gotten into the
cat enclosure later when people started yelling. They distracted the big
cats with fireworks and smoke bombs and treated the dog.

Jill

Old January 9th 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K.

Will in New Haven kirjoitti:

I find it worrisome that the dog could get _into_ the enclosure. Is
there a chance the tiger could get out as happened recently? BTW, I
don't have time to read the article at work but did they really say
that the Sumatran (a small variety of tiger) weighed that much?

There was no mention of the weight of the tiger in that article. And now
that you mentioned it, I had to check, and found that Sumatran tigers
weigh abt 200-300 pounds.

--
Christine in Laitila, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old January 9th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Jan 9, 2:44*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
A lab/golden retriever mix dog got more than he bargained for when he
wandered into the Memphis zoo and jumped into the 'Cat Country' enclosure.

http://tinyurl.com/27zkg4

He was mauled by a Sumatran tiger. *The dog has been treated by zoo
officials and they are trying to locate its owners.

I know the story isn't remotely funny but I can just imagine the look on
that dog's face when it ran into a 900 lb. cat. *"Ooops! *Nice kitty
kitty... nice kitty!"

Jill

Dog is a favourite food of the bigger cats. The standing joke in
Belize when I was there, was that in most countries, dogs try to chase
and eat cats. In Belize, the cats WILL chase, and WILL eat the dogs. I
know of several people who lost their dogs to pumas and jaguars.

Helen M
Old January 9th 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Christine K. wrote:
Will in New Haven kirjoitti:

I find it worrisome that the dog could get _into_ the enclosure. Is
there a chance the tiger could get out as happened recently? BTW, I
don't have time to read the article at work but did they really say
that the Sumatran (a small variety of tiger) weighed that much?

There was no mention of the weight of the tiger in that article. And
now that you mentioned it, I had to check, and found that Sumatran
tigers weigh abt 200-300 pounds.

Okay, so I exaggerated. 200-300 lbs still greatly outweigh a lab/retriever
mix dog. And that dog had to be very surprised when encountering a kitty
cat that big.

Jill

Old January 9th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Will in New Haven wrote:
[...]

Just a correction: the "kids" attacked in SFZoo were not IN the tiger's
enclosure (I say "kids" as they were not little kids, but teenagers). There
has been no confirmation that they were the ones that were teasing/heckling
the tigers, but there was some teasing/heckling involved, including
*someone* sticking their leg between the bars of the enclsure. It was
*after* this that the (dear departed ) tiger escaped the enclosure and
mauled the victims.

Sure, a dog could easily get into an enclosure and swim across the moat at
the Memphis zoo. Labs/golden retrievers love water. They're trained to
retrieve ducks in deep ponds. The zoo personnel saw the dog when it came
in
and tried to track it but lost it along the many paths. I live here; I
know
how confusing this zoo can be. They only realized it had gotten into the
cat enclosure later when people started yelling. They distracted the big
cats with fireworks and smoke bombs and treated the dog.

Jill

The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old January 9th 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"jmcquown" wrote in message

If you're referring to the kids who got into the tiger enclosure in a zoo,
San Francisco? recently... I'd have to say yes, it's pretty easy to get
into a cat enclosure at a zoo. If you're a limber kid you can certainly
climb 18 feet (although they have no real idea how high that wall was,
which amazes me).

Oh, they knew exactly how high that wall was. They simply lied about it.
Not only to inspectors, over the years, but also to police, after the
tragic incident occurred on Dec. 25.

Joyce

PS - A few years ago, Animal Planet had a segment about Cat Country at
the Memphis Zoo. I'd love to see it sometime!

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old January 9th 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Jan 9, 12:22*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Will in New Haven wrote:

[...]

No, the tiger got _out_ and attacked three people who may have been
taunting her. The assumption that they had been was all over the net
but the proof that they had has not come out, as far as I know. It
appears very likely that the young man who was killed was not the one
she singled out for her first attack but simply stayed, along with
another who was badly mauled, trying to get her off her first victim.
I am really sorry that the tiger was killed but I think those three
young men have been unfairly maligned.

.. I'd have to say yes, it's pretty easy to get into
a cat enclosure at a zoo. *If you're a limber kid you can certainly climb 18
feet (although they have no real idea how high that wall was, which amazes
me). *I used to climb rocks and trees when I was a kid, some 30 feet up
sometimes. *I wouldn't have been stupid enough to tease tigers and then go
into the enclosure, though. *There's debate about whether or not there was
water in the moat at the San Francisco zoo. *Frankly, I think tigers like to
bathe so that wouldn't be a deterrant... just IMO.

Lack of water in the moat would have simply made the wall effectively
higher. On reflection, I realize that the fact that a dog or a human
got in does not mean that a tiger could get out since climbing or
jumping down would be easier than up.

Will in New Haven

--

Sure, a dog could easily get into an enclosure and swim across the moat at
the Memphis zoo. *Labs/golden retrievers love water. *They're trained to
retrieve ducks in deep ponds. *The zoo personnel saw the dog when it came in
and tried to track it but lost it along the many paths. *I live here; I know
how confusing this zoo can be. *They only realized it had gotten into the
cat enclosure later when people started yelling. *They distracted the big
cats with fireworks and smoke bombs and treated the dog.

Jill- Hide quoted text -