"Ghost Cat" movie

Old November 5th 03, 05:31 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

OU812? wrote:

Dan Mahoney wrote:
The movie "Ghost Cat" on Animal Planet played again yesterday, and I
was able to tape it this time. If anyone wants to borrow the tape,
just drop me an e-mail. That is, anyone with an NTSC tv rather than
PAL.

huh? I live in NB, Canada, and have a VHS vcr. Not sure what NTSC or PAL
mean.

There are two different formats for television sets, and consequently
for VCR's (three, actually, but only France uses the third one). One is
NTSC, which is used in North America (not sure about South America or
Mexico) and Japan. The format used by most of Europe is PAL (and the
French use SEACAM). Unless you have a machine that plays both (or
converts them) DVD's and VCR tapes recorded in one format will not play
on machines made for the other one. That's been an ongoing source of
frustration for me and other opera lovers, since there are far more
opera videos available in Europe than in the U.S., but we can't play
them on our American TV's/VCR's. Since most opera videos are now being
issued on DVD (including some reissues of things originally recorded on
tape) I bought a "region free, code free" DVD player, so now I can buy
DVD's anywhere, and not worry about being able to play them.
Old November 5th 03, 10:37 PM
Jette Goldie

"OU812?" wrote in message
Dan Mahoney wrote:
The movie "Ghost Cat" on Animal Planet played again yesterday, and I
was able to tape it this time. If anyone wants to borrow the tape,
just drop me an e-mail. That is, anyone with an NTSC tv rather than
PAL.

huh? I live in NB, Canada, and have a VHS vcr. Not sure what NTSC or PAL
mean.

NTSC is the tv standard used in the US and Canada. VHS
just means that it is a video - in the UK and Europe we use
PAL as the standard for our tv and video ....... however most
UK VCRs now play NTSC quite happily. We just can't make
copies or tapes in it.

(whose tv, VCR and DVD quite happily accept NTSC and
Region 1 g)
--
Jette
"Work for Peace and remain Fiercely Loving" - Jim Byrnes

http://www.jette.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Old November 5th 03, 10:37 PM
Jette Goldie

"Adrian" wrote in message
OU812? wrote:
Dan Mahoney wrote:
The movie "Ghost Cat" on Animal Planet played again yesterday, and I
was able to tape it this time. If anyone wants to borrow the tape,
just drop me an e-mail. That is, anyone with an NTSC tv rather than
PAL.

huh? I live in NB, Canada, and have a VHS vcr. Not sure what NTSC
or PAL mean.

Kristy
who would indeed like to see the movie

NTSC = National Television Standards Commitee
Pictures normally 525 lines 60Hz
North America and Japan

From what my friends in Japanese animation fandom tell
me, Japanese NTSC is not quite the same as the US
version of the same.

Old November 5th 03, 10:37 PM
Jette Goldie

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote
There are two different formats for television sets, and consequently
for VCR's (three, actually, but only France uses the third one). One is
NTSC, which is used in North America (not sure about South America or
Mexico) and Japan. The format used by most of Europe is PAL (and the
French use SEACAM).

SECAM, I'm told - and some parts of Russia use it too.

Old November 5th 03, 10:37 PM
Jette Goldie

"Margaret Fine" wrote in message
ink.net...

Thanks! I guess I should ask--this is VHS, right? Let me know what I
owe you for shipping (and the tape if you don't want it back).

g Unless you are one of the very rare geeks who like
rare and outdated formats, any video will be VHS. (the
other main format *was* Betamax)

Old November 5th 03, 10:52 PM

Jette Goldie wrote:

in the UK and Europe we use
PAL as the standard for our tv and video ....... however most
UK VCRs now play NTSC quite happily. We just can't make
copies or tapes in it.

(whose tv, VCR and DVD quite happily accept NTSC and
Region 1 g)

Well, then, in that case, I'd like to extend my offer to anyone in
Europe whose VCR will play NTSC tapes. Email me for details (remove X's
from my user name).

Joyce

Old November 6th 03, 05:25 PM
CK

Adrian wrote:
OU812? wrote:

Dan Mahoney wrote:

The movie "Ghost Cat" on Animal Planet played again yesterday, and I
was able to tape it this time. If anyone wants to borrow the tape,
just drop me an e-mail. That is, anyone with an NTSC tv rather than
PAL.

huh? I live in NB, Canada, and have a VHS vcr. Not sure what NTSC
or PAL mean.

Kristy
who would indeed like to see the movie

NTSC = National Television Standards Commitee
Pictures normally 525 lines 60Hz
North America and Japan

NTSC = National Television System Committee
I checked it from http://www.acronymfinder.com/
which also said that your version was a common interpretation of it, but
still incorrect.

PAL = Phase Alternate Line
Pictures normally 625 lines 50Hz
Burope, Australia, New Zealand

Me, picky?? Nooo... but the same acronym link said PAL was Phase
Alternation Line.

And if anyone's interested in what SECAM stands for, it's
Séquentiel Couleur Avec Mémoire (Sequential Color & Memory)

Christine in Vantaa, Finland (Burope)
Email: christal63(at)yahoo(dot)com
Photos: http://photos.yahoo.com/christal63

Old November 6th 03, 05:28 PM
CK

Jette Goldie wrote:

(whose tv, VCR and DVD quite happily accept NTSC and
Region 1 g)

We have a multi-region DVD-player, it accepts all regions.
Neener, neener...

Christine in Vantaa, Finland (Europe)

Old November 6th 03, 07:52 PM
Jette Goldie

"CK" wrote in message
Jette Goldie wrote:

(whose tv, VCR and DVD quite happily accept NTSC and
Region 1 g)

We have a multi-region DVD-player, it accepts all regions.
Neener, neener...

So does mine - but mostly I want to play Region 1 + 2.

Old November 7th 03, 04:02 PM
Adrian

CK wrote:
Jette Goldie wrote:

(whose tv, VCR and DVD quite happily accept NTSC and
Region 1 g)

We have a multi-region DVD-player, it accepts all regions.
Neener, neener...

If we're going for oneupmanship, mine also disables Macrovision so I can
tape any DVD.
--
Adrian
A House Is Not A Home, Without A Cat.