Leg Cast was it too big?

Old July 15th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oreodragonfly

Default Leg Cast was it too big?

i have a 5 and a half month old kitten, i cant beleive how much she changed
my life, but my biggest fear when i got her was that my apartment has an open
balcony four floors up and last week my biggest fear became reality, lying in
bed i heard a thunk.!!!!!! i knew strate away what is was, the couple who
live in the ground floor apt heard it too and when i reached the bottom
(still in night dress and no shoes) i was comfronted with my poor kitten ,
with blood coming from her eyes and nose making a noise that i hope i never
hear again a mixture between a howel and a scream that i still hear when i
close my eyes , the couple from the apartment brought some towels, sent me to
get dressed and then ran me to the only 24 hour vets they knew, unfortunatly
it was a 45 min drive away, it was the longes drive of my life and on the way
i thought she died twice, at the emergency vets the doctor on call was
brilliant both with my extreamly destressed cat and an extreamly histerical
owner (ME) after two very tense hours it was decided that the ingurys were
not life thratening, a bad fracture to the right elbow and some slight head
trauma, i had to leave her there over night for observation. the following
afternoon i was allowed to collect her, when i saw her i COULD NOT BELEIVE
THE SIZE OF THE CAST ON HER LEG, it was one and a half times the length and
width of the leg but i figured the doctors know best, now im unsure, that
night at 4 am my poor baby went mental she threw herself around the bedroom,
off the bed, into every item of furniture including the door frame the chest
of draws with big wooden handels, up and down off the tile floor, she wouldne
let me near her, she was attacking the cast, and making the most horrible
noises, after panicing for 20 mins i called the vet back and begged for help,
he suggested VALIUM im still not sure if he ment for me or the kitten, as i
was on the phone she went mental again and managed to get that huge cast
halfway down her leg which caused more pain and so more trowing herself
around, the vet said to do whatever i could to help her take it off, it took
over an hour of small snips to get her out of the damm thing as every few
mins as exsausted as she was she still atacked the cast, the cast had blood
on it which i thought was from her gums biting on the plastic splint, after
removing the cast i discovered that as well as her gums, she had knocked out
all her side teeth (fortunatly baby teeth) and also ripped out all her back
claws, she was dripping with sweat and totaly exsausted, i carfully carried
her to the rug in the living room and we both spent the rest of the night
there but she made NO attemp to walk, first thing the next day i took her to
a local vet and explained the situastion they x rayed her and found that
alongside the bad front leg fracture, during the battle with the cast SHE HAD
MANAGED TO BREAK BOTH OF THE BACK HIP BONES, the vet was amazed that she
could do such an injury to herself by herself, the guilt i already felt about
having a cat on the fourth floor AND being unable to remover the cast quicker
doubled i felt as if i was being accused but i now know that the vet was just
being cautoius, she had never seen me before, so now my poor poor baby is
still at the vets, today she had intensive surgery on her elbow, both hips
pined and to ensure no furture problems with pregnancy she was also
sterilised, 4 in 1,

I showed the vets a photo of the size of the cast and asked if it was the
correct size for such a small cat, their reply was a flat no comment, can
anyone else help me, i dont want to wrongly accuse and bad mouth a good
24hour clinic but i certainly dont want to reccomend a bad one...............
Was the cast too big????????
Old July 15th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ann

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 01:45:20 +0000, oreodragonfly wrote:
I showed the vets a photo of the size of the cast and asked if it was
the correct size for such a small cat, their reply was a flat no
comment, can anyone else help me, i dont want to wrongly accuse and bad
mouth a good 24hour clinic but i certainly dont want to reccomend a bad
one............... Was the cast too big????????

I doubt the size of the cast had anything to do with her injuring herself.
That is, she likely would have reacted the same way to a smaller one.
What caused her to go berserk could have been a number of things:
her genetic makeup, remembering something that happened to her before you
got her, the head injury, or a delayed bad reaction to whatever was used
to sedate her. Concentrate on how fortunate it is that she is alive and
on nursing her back to health.
Old July 15th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oreodragonfly via CatKB.com

Ann wrote:
I showed the vets a photo of the size of the cast and asked if it was
the correct size for such a small cat, their reply was a flat no
comment, can anyone else help me, i dont want to wrongly accuse and bad
mouth a good 24hour clinic but i certainly dont want to reccomend a bad
one............... Was the cast too big????????

I doubt the size of the cast had anything to do with her injuring herself.
That is, she likely would have reacted the same way to a smaller one.
What caused her to go berserk could have been a number of things:
her genetic makeup, remembering something that happened to her before you
got her, the head injury, or a delayed bad reaction to whatever was used
to sedate her. Concentrate on how fortunate it is that she is alive and
on nursing her back to health.

thankyou for your reply i just want the best for her, i am very graiful to
the vets she has come home today and i am doing everything i can to ensure
that she is comfortable and to help her recovery and i have spoken already to
my landlady and as soon as she is well enough we are moving to a low floor
apt.

Old July 15th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

oreodragonfly wrote:

Was the cast too big????????

Why don't you stuff it up your ass and let us know?

Folks, wise up. It's summer. This is one of those "upset the nice
cat people" trolls.

1. Although a person might be stupid enough to leave a kitten
on an open balcony
2. Cats are way too smart to jump or fall in such a situation.

"oreodragonfly," find something better to do with your time.

Old July 15th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Ann wrote:
On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 01:45:20 +0000, oreodragonfly wrote:
I showed the vets a photo of the size of the cast and asked if it was
the correct size for such a small cat, their reply was a flat no
comment, can anyone else help me, i dont want to wrongly accuse and bad
mouth a good 24hour clinic but i certainly dont want to reccomend a bad
one............... Was the cast too big????????

I doubt the size of the cast had anything to do with her injuring herself.
That is, she likely would have reacted the same way to a smaller one.
What caused her to go berserk could have been a number of things:
her genetic makeup, remembering something that happened to her before you
got her, the head injury, or a delayed bad reaction to whatever was used
to sedate her. Concentrate on how fortunate it is that she is alive and
on nursing her back to health.

Ann, will you use your head? No vet is going to put a cast that big on
a cat. This is a summertime troll, and a bad one at that.

Old July 15th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ann

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 13:45:09 +0000, oreodragonfly via CatKB.com wrote:
Ann wrote:

thankyou for your reply i just want the best for her, i am very graiful
to the vets she has come home today and i am doing everything i can to
ensure that she is comfortable and to help her recovery and i have
spoken already to my landlady and as soon as she is well enough we are
moving to a low floor apt.

Glad to hear she is physically fixed up and home. Now she need lots of
rest, reassurance and nutritious food (and water) to heal + whatever the
veterinarian prescribed. Since you don't know what set her off, it might
be a good idea to see if she would accept being put in a cage ... so you
could do that for a few days when you are asleep or away.

Old July 15th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ann

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 08:02:43 -0700, wiggs wrote:
Ann wrote:
[...]

Could be. But I do know that cats do sometimes accidentally airmail
themselves from unhealthy height, fall out of trees, etc.