Momma cat in distress

Old March 17th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
indigo9585

Default Momma cat in distress

We took an abandon cat into our home and realized she was pregnant. She had
her babies (3) about 2 and a half weeks ago. Yesterday we noticed she didn't
look good. She was breathing heavy and her eyes look dialated. I thought
maybe she was dehydrated and gave her some water and food. She ate a little
bit of food but I had to force the water in her.
Today she is hiding under the bed, not feeding the kittens and doesn't look
good.
I called the vet, they cannot see her until tomorrow. We live in a rural area
and the vet sees large animals too. The person answering the phone could not
give me any answers.
We have started to feed the babies ourselves and have put a heat pad in the
box under towels. They seem to be pretty content and don't appear ill in any
way.
I have no idea what could be wrong with the momma cat. I've never seen this
before, any ideas?

Old March 17th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Matthew" wrote in message
CALL YOUR VET BACK NOW AND TELL THEM YOU HAVE A ANIMAL IN RESPIRATORY
DISTRESS
DO IT NOW

She has an infection probably. Might be part of the birthing material didnt
all come out and now is a systemic problem?

Yes, vet NOW

Old March 18th 08, 03:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
indigo9585 via CatKB.com

UPDATE: Called the vet again and the vets assistant (intern) met us. He
tested her for Leukemia and Feline HIV and both were neg. She was running a
temp but put up quite a fight durring the temp taking. He said her uterus is
back to normal size and there is no discharge indicating an infection from
the birthing process. He is keeping her tonight, putting her on fluids and
will run more blood tests in the a.m.. The vet came in mid testing and felt
that she could have gone into shock by not eating enough to support three
nursing kittens. Kind of a septic shut down of sorts. This then brings the
thyroid into play. The good news is that the kittens are doing well and they
have ruled out the most contagious problems so the kittens should be fine.
We'll see what the vet says in the a.m..

Old March 18th 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

indigo9585 wrote:
[...]

We shall send purrs that Mom Cat will returnny to good health and be able
to care for her babes. You were wise to act quickly to help her. Best
wishes. MLB

Old March 18th 08, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

I too am glad you took immediate action to help this mom. You did the
right thing! I'm glad the kittens are doing well too. Please keep
updating us as you know more.
Old March 18th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

Thats great! I was worried about something due to birthing.

I assume you are with 'kitten milk' now and feeding eh? Had to do that
once. Kitten became a fine big cat in time g.