Flea treatment safe for young kittens?

Old July 20th 04, 08:24 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

Default Flea treatment safe for young kittens?

A friend of mine e-mailed me from New York. She found a stray cat,
who was pregnant and subsequently gave birth to 7 kittens. They are
about a week and a half old. She found fleas on one of the kittens,
and was wondering what product would be safe for kittens this young.
Since the area of kittens is one with which I have little expertise, I
thought I'd ask y'all here. I did tell her not to use any
over-the-counter products, *especially* Hartz. So how old do kittens
have to be to use Advantage or Frontline?

TIA for any suggestions I can pass along to her.

Ginger-lyn

Old July 20th 04, 08:51 PM
Wendy

I believe they have to be at least 6 wks to use advantage or Frontline. She
could try using a fine tooth flea comb on them to get off as many as
possible in the mean time.

I seem to remember my vet saying using flea preparations on very young
kittens is not good for their liver.

Old July 20th 04, 11:45 PM
~*Connie*~

technically it is six weeks, but that is in an ideal world. if there is an
infestation, it is better to give the kitten the frontline than to let them
get eaten alive. However, do not use the whole vial on the kitten. I use
one to two drops. I have done it on several sets of kittens and it is safe.

Old July 21st 04, 06:38 PM
Marion

When I was fostering a mother with her litter, I was
advised to give Advantage to the mother. Just by cuddling
close to the mother, the kittens would received protections
from the fleas.