Anyone in cat rescue (501 orgs) please help

Old October 12th 05, 04:25 PM
MINO

I live in the New Orleans area and have been helping out with the humane
society and a good friend of mine is the owner and has taken in many
displaced animals and has received thousands of food, medication, toys, etc
for the animals that she has. I will forward this email to her and see if
she can find foster homes. She has many contacts and yes it's very
heartbreaking to see what the animals went through, being stranded on the
roofs of their homes while the water was rising. There are still animals out
there suffering. Thousands have been saved, but so many were left out there
for so long with no food or water that they didn't make it.

http://www.nola.com/forums/animals/

http://www.ifaw.org/ifaw/general/def...spx?oid=147601

--
"An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language."
"Karen" wrote in message
Posting for maximum coverage:

please cross post:The ASPCA animal staging area in St Bernard Parrish will
not be accepting anymore animals after Oct 15. I have a friend who is down
there now and feels they are doing a good job of cataloguing the animals
as
they come in etc.

There is an urgent need however for them to find groups that can take cats
out of there ..100 to be exact.The groups have to have 501c3 status and
must
fill out a form before they can go.

They are also in dire need of animal traps as dogs are roaming the streets
in packs and others are very hard to catch.

The person to contact is Rick Ducharme I have three phones numbers for him
(email pending)319-640-1520 904-728-3675 222-279-0825

There are 500 dogs there now and they are still coming in. They are trying
to place the healthy dogs that have been there the longest with the hopes
Owners will still be able to track them. They have a website showing some
of
the dogs(and one horse) that have been processed so
farwww.loststbernardpets.com After the 15th the local animal control will
take over. St Bernard Parrish has been decimated. Only 1500 homes are
likely
to still be habitable from what I am told. The 9th ward is a ghost town.

Please cross post this to anyone that might be involved with cat rescue or
all inclusive animal rescues or shelters.

Old October 13th 05, 06:20 AM
-L.

MaryL wrote:
A message like this one can do more good than hours of news articles. You
speak from experience, and you speak from the heart. Unfortunately, I don't
think some of our decision makers have any hearts to reach.

Do you have a web site where you could post some photos? They would be hard
to look at -- but, again, some graphic photos might wake up a few people.

MaryL

I didn't take any photos. I now wish I had. I'm leaving in a couple
days to go OOT and probably won't get back to the shelter for 3 or 4
weeks, but I will look and see if there are any photos available.

One case that just haunts me was a poodle with an abscessed face. She
was on antibiotics, but it was just horrible and she needed surgery
right away. I won't go into detail but it originated in her eye. :*(

-L.