Halogen oven (OT)

Old December 11th 13, 08:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Halogen oven (OT)

"Lesley" wrote in message
On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:38:36 PM UTC, Christina Websell wrote:
No, but you have to get used to them otherwise you burn everything. They
save loads of electricity versus a conventional oven

I think the issue of what my brother gets me for Xmas might just have been
solved

g but don't blame me. They do take some getting used to, but once you do,
they are brill. Be prepared to burn everything at first and then put foil
on top and hold it down with a rack, otherwise the foil will blow off with
the fan.
IMO they are good for 1 or 2 in a household but not more.

Old December 12th 13, 01:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

Haven't used it yet but it doesn't seem the quality of my last one. I
reserve judgment on it until I've used it. I'm sure it will be fine.
For one or two people, a halogen oven will save a whole lot of power but you
do need to experiment with it and get used to it. It's not the same as
cooking in a conventional oven.

What are the advantages of a halogen oven vs. a microwave? Does the food
taste better cooked in the oven? (Once you stop burning it, that is? )

I'm surprised that a halogen oven takes less energy than a conventional
one, since halogen lamps are such energy hogs.

--
"It's been a long, strange journey from Ukraine to YouTube."
-- "Hava Nagila": The Movie
Old December 12th 13, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

Haven't used it yet but it doesn't seem the quality of my last one. I
reserve judgment on it until I've used it. I'm sure it will be fine.
For one or two people, a halogen oven will save a whole lot of power but
you
do need to experiment with it and get used to it. It's not the same as
cooking in a conventional oven.

What are the advantages of a halogen oven vs. a microwave? Does the food
taste better cooked in the oven? (Once you stop burning it, that is? )

The advantage is that you can do everything in a halogen oven that you can
do in a conventional oven, quicker. Not really so with microwaves.

I'm surprised that a halogen oven takes less energy than a conventional
one, since halogen lamps are such energy hogs.

They are around 1400w - my big oven is 3000w and takes an age to heat to
temperature and the halogen takes no time at all. Plus they cook very
quickly. A whole chicken is done in an hour. Nice crispy skin. They are
ideal for a single person or a couple, IMO. I certainly noticed a reduction
in my electricity bill when I got one. I do still use my big oven for
Sunday meals with Yorkshire pudding and all the trimmings as I haven't
worked out how to do that in the halogen but I wouldn't be without one now.
Power prices are huge here now so anything that saves it is good.

Tweed

Old December 29th 13, 01:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Well, I don't like my new digital one as much as my old one. Sometimes you
have to turn the food over, so I take the top off and turn off the
electricity to it. My old one didn't mind as it had turn buttons and kept
going when I turned it on again, my new one minds very much. I have to
reset it, which is a nuisance.
However, I still have the top of my old one, and I will see if it fits on
the new bowl. If it does, the digital one will be resting as an emergency
cooker.

I rarely use my real oven, it costs so much to run. the cost of energy here
is a real issue atm. For some elderly people the choice is "eat or heat"
I choose to eat. I don't mind being a bit cold. I'm used to it. Yes, I
have a woodburner, and it takes hours to get my room up to 60F.
I'm used to it, and have a lot of layers of clothes on. Call me Michelin
Woman.

Tweed