Barney had to have Surgery to remove a couple inches of his tail

Old November 21st 13, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep[_3_]

Default Barney had to have Surgery to remove a couple inches of his tail

I haven't been actually posting on here lately, but just yesterday Barney (litter mate to Betty & Bam-Bam, baby brofur to Weeble, Ernie, Mimi & Moe) had to have a couple of inches amputated from his tail. He had always had a 'bent' tip to his tail, but recently it had become bothersome to him (I think it might have gotten stepped on, causing it to become painful) and he had always taken some times, at least once a week, to, erm, punish it. Really biting it hard sometimes.

A few weeks ago, shortly before his yearly checkup, we noticed that he a) had 'licked' all the fur off the tip and b) there was a sore on it. We got a cone to put on him and thought maybe it would heal.

NOT.

He would somehow get to his tail (I think in an effort to get to the tail, he was scraping it with the edge of the cone)....He was becoming OCD about killing the tip of his tail ... TED thought it would *never* heal to a point where he wouldn't bother it... recommended amputating a couple inches... well, that's what we decided to do one day when we were checking it and we could *see the bone* through the center of the sore.

I will miss the white tip he had on his stripey tail

It's been about 28 hours since we brought him home, they used internal sutures, but sutures *and* glue on the skin, and the last 6 inches of his tail are securely wrapped in bandages (how they remain on, I dunno, in my mind I just keep seeing him walking away and leaving the empty bandages where he was sitting), and he took a nap on my lap for a couple hours this afternoon, cone free, and again this evening while watching TV, and while he did *look* at his tail as if to say "why is this all wrapped up?" but then I distracted him and he forgot about it, and then continued bathing himself (including a good butt-licking) and then went back to purring himself to sleep. I think that his tail has finally stopped bothering him!

He will have to have the cone on until his tail is fully healed, but he does get reprieves when on either mine or DH's lap - and he really does appreciate that time cone-free

Barney is becoming the most.expensive.cat.ever. UTI.... then a urinary blockage on a holiday weekend when most vets are closed, so a trip to Indianapolis & an e-vet service racked up to close to $3,000... and now his tail obsession (fortunately, surgery done by our vet, at a reasonable rate) sigh

I just wanted to tell *someone* about this, as I have very few local real people whom will understand the efforts going in to what they would call "just a cat"

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old November 21st 13, 08:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
[...]

***

I hope the tail heals quickly, and he isn't bothered by it any more.

--
Joy

Our balloon floats low
O'er red earth and spinifex.
The sun rises slowly.
-- Australia Haiku by Joy Gaylord

Old November 21st 13, 02:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 11/20/2013 9:27 PM, Magic Mood Jeep wrote:
[...]

Purrs for Barney's tail to heal quickly and no longer be bothersome.

Any particular reason you don't post much anymore? Facebook? Real life
just too busy?

Jill
Old November 21st 13, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

[...]

Purrs for Barney's bothersome tail. Unlike most cats, he really did have a
good reason to try to kill it! I bet he feels better already, now that the
annoying (and probably painful) tail greeblings are gone. Purrs for a quick
recovery!

--
Joyce

Who ever thought up the word "Mammogram"? Every time I hear it, I think
I'm supposed to put my breast in an envelope and send it to someone.
-- Jan King
Old November 26th 13, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

[...]

If it's worth anything from me, I think you did the right thing.
Tweed

Old November 27th 13, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

[...]

~~~~~~
You did exactly the right thing. People who would say Barney is "just a
cat" don't understand how much we love our furbabies. They are part of our
families! Years ago, when my first cat went to the Bridge, someone told me
I could replace him because he was "just a cat." I did get another cat, but
I think everyone on this newsgroup understands that we never can replace a
lost cat. We get another cat, but there is no way to replace one just as we
cannot replace people. So, I understand what you are saying and I think you
did the right thing.

MaryL

Old December 24th 13, 02:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep[_3_]

I wanted to thank everyone on here for their kind words.

Barney is doing well - he has been cone-free for over 24 hours and HE IS LEAVING HIS TAIL ALONE!!!! It is a few inches shorter, and the fur needs to grow back... but he is not worrying it to the point of.....
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*(those with weak stomachs, stop reading now)*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
....having the bone exposed!

His tail was unwrapped by the vet a mere week after the surgery, and while he was still in the cone, he did not seem to be bothered by it... two weeks after that, I took him to the vet to have his stitches removed, and to my horror, in the process of getting him into the carrier, ripped most of them out (he was being a mule-headed-58-legged-Ginsu-ninja). TED removed the remaining stitches (there were only 2, but there had been 6, and they were purple!), but since there was a drop (barely enough to do a blood-glucose reading on a home meter), he re-wrapped his tail so he wouldn't bother it.

Well, after 2 weeks of bare-tailed-ness... having it wrapped was a bother to him. When we did give him cone free time he tried to bother it. So we gave it a week, and then unwrapped it ourselves, leaving the cone on "just in case"... That was week ago tomorrow (Christmas Eve). Yesterday morning we took his cone off for him to eat breakfast unencumbered (we were leaving it off most the time, only when we weren't home, and at night), and since we were home all day, left it off, checking him and his tail periodically. We did not put the cone back on him last night, and tail was still fine this morning. It is still off as I type this.

All fingers and toes are crossed that Barney forgets what a bother his tail can be.

Old December 24th 13, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Whew! what a relief!

--
Joy

Uluru (Ayers Rock)

The Rock stands alone
Glowing in the dying sun
Capturing my heart.

Old December 25th 13, 05:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 12/24/2013 2:03 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , Magic
Mood Jeep wrote:
I wanted to thank everyone on here for their kind words.

Barney is doing well - he has been cone-free for over 24 hours and HE IS
LEAVING HIS TAIL ALONE!!!! It is a few inches shorter, and the fur
needs to grow back... but he is not worrying it to the point of..... *
* * * * * * *(those with weak stomachs, stop reading now)* * * * * * * *
* * * * * ...having the bone exposed!

All fingers and toes are crossed that Barney forgets what a bother his
tail can be.

Purrs being sent for him to do just that and to heal quickly.

Judith

Absolutely, many purrs that Barney forgets about his tail and it heals
up good as well, almost, new.

Hugs to him (and Weebles) from Persia, too.

Jill