Too young to catch mice?

Old November 19th 08, 04:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Too young to catch mice?

We got a kitten to catch the mice in the house. He's about 12 weeks
old or so. The vet has recommended that he stay indoors, so he's not
getting any practice hunting outside at all. He loves to chase the
laser and play with little foam balls, and we have one of those little
mice that hangs on an elastic string that goes over the door that he
also loves. The problem is that in the 3 weeks since we got him the
mice have apparently gotten much bolder. The other night one ran right
by his food dish and this morning a mouse stood up on his hind legs
when it saw my roommate! The cat is never around when the mice are,
they seem to be coming from behind the stove or under the fridge and
he does spend some time sniffing around there and looking around
there, but he certainly hasn't chased or caught anything. Is he too
young for us to expect him to catch the mice? Or is there anything I
can do to help teach him?
Old November 19th 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

that looks just like my LIMO
wrote in message
[...]

Nope but you can take him back to wher you got him and call an exterminator
than stop being a complete idiot

Old November 19th 08, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Nov 19, 1:26 pm, "Matthew"
wrote:
that looks just like my wrote in message

[...]

I'd like to clear this up a little. I did not mean to imply that the
only reason we got him was to catch mice. we were looking for a pet,
and when it came time to decide between a cat (which i wanted) and a
dog (which my roommate wanted) the decision came down to cats being
able to catch mice. he's not a "cheap form of pest control", we're not
going to take him back, he's part of the family now I'm just trying to
learn a little about what might help him become a better hunter. Cats
are natural hunters, I know this, but since his mother did not bring
him any mice to practice on I was wondering if there's something I
should be doing. And truth be told he's probably not catching the mice
cause he's sound asleep in my bed!
Old November 19th 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

why did my post show up like that huh correct version
" wrote in message
[...]

Nope but you can take him back to where you got him if you want a mouse
trap and call an exterminator than stop being a complete idiot when it
comes to your cat. You cat is not a machine since you are a first time
poster here I am thinking TROLL

Old November 19th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

wrote in message
On Nov 19, 1:26 pm, "Matthew"
wrote:
[...]

Ok than ignore my posts but when you post what you did What do you think we
are going to think

1 call an exterminator rats and mice carry disease and you could kill
your cat
2 cats are natural hunters unless it learns from another cat or mom they
will maime their prey and more inlikley play with it not knowing what to do
so unless you want a tidying on your pillow that is still alive CALL AN
EXTERMINATOR
3 IMO please keep your cat inside there are so many reason to do so

Old November 19th 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

" wrote in message
[...]

and actually we rescued the kitten who was being kept on a freezing
cold porch, hadn't been taken to the vet, was covered in fleas and
clearly malnourished. he's now much healthier and being properly taken
care of. and on a side note, I came to this discussion board because I
was curious if i was missing something and was met with judgmental
assumptions about who i am as a cat owner. if i were a negligent owner
who saw my cat as a "cheap form of pest control" then I would probably
not go to the trouble of trying to learn more. In addition, I was
under the assumption that this discussion board would be helpful in
answering some of my questions. Instead I have been called a 'complete
idiot' for asking simple questions. I would suggest that in the future
you think a little more about your posts so that rather than drive
people away with your harsh criticism you welcome their input and
questions, which is after all the entire purpose of discussion.

If anyone has any useful and helpful input I welcome it. If you merely
want to call me an idiot and imply that I am in some way less than
loving of my cat then I'd appreciate if you keep your misinformed and
myopic opinions to yourself. Thank you.
Old November 19th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

wrote in message

" wrote in message
[...]

Well no offense when you come on here and say you want the cat to catch mice
WTF do you expect

Old November 19th 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

wrote

We got a kitten to catch the mice in the house. He's about 12 weeks
old or so. The vet has recommended that he stay indoors, so he's not
getting any practice hunting outside at all. He loves to chase the

Hi Meghan. He's too young. What will happen when he gets older is he will
probably scare the mice into finding some other place.

In the meantime, be careful about any mouse traps. Some of them can be
dangerous to your kitten too. Broken toes etc.

Old November 19th 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Nov 19, 3:55 pm, "cshenk" wrote:
wrote

We got a kitten to catch the mice in the house. He's about 12 weeks
old or so. The vet has recommended that he stay indoors, so he's not
getting any practice hunting outside at all. He loves to chase the

Hi Meghan. He's too young. What will happen when he gets older is he will
probably scare the mice into finding some other place.

In the meantime, be careful about any mouse traps. Some of them can be
dangerous to your kitten too. Broken toes etc.

Great thank you!
Old November 19th 08, 10:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...

wrote in message

" wrote in message
[...]

Precisely. Poor cat.

Mice Bryce Cat health & behaviour 5 June 25th 08 07:38 PM
Cat wants me to eat mice ... Mark Edwards Cat anecdotes 8 August 29th 05 05:38 PM
bed mice Kevin Lee Cat health & behaviour 3 May 27th 05 02:31 AM
Young cat can't catch his breath after play? Al Puzzuoli Cat health & behaviour 10 March 8th 05 01:03 AM