Grocery assistance (was: OT Tweed's Checkup & Prpgress)

Old May 10th 11, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Grocery assistance (was: OT Tweed's Checkup & Prpgress)

hopitus wrote:

Not meaning a Merkin diss but at any grocery I shop at (usually just
one) there are
multiple personnel jumpiong to assist me to my truck *and* unload my
purchases to
the bed (usually quite a load: I only shop about twice a month). They
are L*not* the
"security personnel"....whazzup with your grocery, or are they all so
non-helpful to
checks not in their teens? I am blown away that you had to *request*
help!

For most of my life, I went grocery shopping without ever being offered
any help with my groceries.

But over the past several years I've noticed that the cashier will ask if
I need any help to my car. I assumed that this was just a newer practice
on the part of supermarkets and grocery stores, but maybe it's just that
I'm looking a little more geezery these days.

Joyce

--
Speak your mind even if your voice cracks while you're saying it.
Old May 10th 11, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote in message
hopitus wrote:

Not meaning a Merkin diss but at any grocery I shop at (usually just
one) there are
multiple personnel jumpiong to assist me to my truck *and* unload my
purchases to
the bed (usually quite a load: I only shop about twice a month).

(snippage)

[Hop, I've lost your posts again. Did you switch nicks on
gmail/googlemail?]

For most of my life, I went grocery shopping without ever being offered
any help with my groceries.

But over the past several years I've noticed that the cashier will ask if
I need any help to my car. I assumed that this was just a newer practice
on the part of supermarkets and grocery stores, but maybe it's just that
I'm looking a little more geezery these days.

Joyce

A shame isn't it? The "bag boys" used to offer to help me carry things to
my car because I was a 30 year old who looked like she was 20. Now I'm 50
and they ask if I need help for totally different reasons. LOL

Jill

Old May 10th 11, 11:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On May 10, 4:48*pm, wrote:
hopitus wrote:

[...]

As I recall,a supermarket in my neighbourhood used to offer
assistance
to customers to get their purchase to the car. Not anymore. Many
supermarkets in town offer home deliveries for a charge, which is
discounted
for seniors.
I have a shopping cart I got when I was in college. It was badly
dented
when I tossed in a big heavy of cat litter.
The new shopping carts with wheels that are very popular are much
better.
Many consist of a bag that can be closed to protect groceries from
rain and snow.
Some people just wheel it, full of groceries, onto a bus.
They are more compact and lighter than the one I have.
Old May 10th 11, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On May 10, 6:29*pm, Winnie wrote:
On May 10, 4:48*pm, wrote:

hopitus wrote:

[...]

Here are pictures of the shopping carts I mentioned.

http://www.capitalcityluggage.com/pr...Climber/id/680
Old May 10th 11, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

wrote in message ...

hopitus wrote:

[...]

The Kroger in our town offers assistance to anyone who has a fairly large
order (several bags). I always decline the offer and take my own, but it's
nice to have the service available.

MaryL

Old May 11th 11, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Winnie" wrote in message
On May 10, 4:48 pm, wrote:
hopitus wrote:

[...]

There are two supermarkets where I shop fairly regularly, depending on where
else I'm going on that trip, since I seldom go just to the market. At Vons,
they'll offer help about half the time, occasionally when I have just one
small bag. Occasionally I'll let them help if I'm getting something
particularly awkward and heavy, but usually I decline with thanks. I don't
get that offer at Albertson's, because I use their self-checkout.

Joy

Old May 11th 11, 01:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"hopitus" wrote in message
On May 10, 3:56 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
wrote in message

... hopitus wrote:

[...]

Have you not noticed that the "bag boys" lately are not large
children, but fully grown
men older than you in some cases Times are tough all over & it's a job
with pay.
You have the genes that make you look 30 when you're 50....and still a
hottie.
We don't all have genes like that.
I prefer to believe that my offers of employee assistance to miy truck
are because
my orders are very large since I only go there twice a month. Not
because I appear
"geezerly". How you behave at checkout speaks volumes, and like MaryL,
I take
care of business on my own, which involves keying open and lifting a
strut-owered
bed lid and lowering it by arm power. My good genes made me not short
or I would
not be up to this. Sometimes I wish I could trade them for hottie
genes.

***

The market where I shop the most has one "bag boy" who is probably in his
50s and, I'm pretty sure, somewhat retarded. Sometimes if they aren't very
busy and they don't need so many stations open, some of the checkers will
fill bags for other checkers. Many of those are women. Often if I go at an
off time, which I prefer to do, the checker bags the groceries himself or
herself.

Joy

Old May 11th 11, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_2_]

Default Grocery assistance

On 05/10/2011 06:36 PM, hopitus wrote:
On May 10, 4:37 pm, wrote:
wrote in et...

hopitus wrote:
[...]

I shop at a Kroger subsidiary that has a silly name.
Though not as silly as one in FL called "Piggly Wiggly".

The man who started Piggly Wiggly built a mansion in Memphis, TN, called
the "Pink Palace". Clarence Saunders had a way with words, didn't he?
The Pink Palace is now an art museum.

Bud

Old May 11th 11, 05:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
MaryL typed:
wrote in message ...

hopitus wrote:

[...]

At Coles and Woolworths (the almost duopoly of Australian supermarkets,
they'd have about 80% share) no-one is there to help. The check-out person
bags up the groceries, and puts them in the pick-up area (one for each
check-out). You pay, you push your trolley through the check out, and then
you pick up the bacgged groceries, put them back in your tolley, and take
your trolley to the car. You nload the trolley into your boot (trunk),
return the trolley to a trolley bay, and drive off. The other option is to
pay for home delivery, but home delivery is only run on particular days and
at particular times, and certainly not outside business hours, so I've never
used it (having always gone grocery shopping outside of business hours,
since I have a day job).

The next largest grocery store, Aldi, you have to pay a deposit to even get
a trolley, and no-one bags your groceries for you. You have to provide yoru
own bags (or buy them from the store), and you pretty much put the groceries
back in your trolley as they go through the checkout. Once you've paid, you
can go to the bench to bag your groceries yourself, if you want, or you
coudl take your trolley and bag your groceries just before you put them in
the car. Or I guess you could choose not to bag your groceries at all, or
put them in milk crates you have in your car or whatever. Then you return
the trolley to the trolley bay and get your trolley deposit back.

Aldi is significantly cheaper than Coles & Woolworths.

Other independant supermarkets may do either of the above, or a combination,
but I have never ever seen a paid employee of the supermarket or mall be
there to help people take stuff to their car.

Yowie

Old May 11th 11, 06:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA[_3_]

11.5.2011 7:40, Yowie kirjoitti:
In ,
typed:
wrote in message ...

hopitus wrote:

[...]

We don't have any bagging or carrying help here. You bag it yourself and
carry or push in the trolley yourself to your car, assuming you're there
by car. Finns do go shopping without cars too, by bus, bike or even
*gasp* on foot. Many markets have the deposit thingy for trolleys too.
Either you use a coin or a special coin-size thingy you can have on a
key-chain or some such to get the trolley, and get it back when you
return the trolley.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

Tweed's rehydration recipe MaryL Cat anecdotes 4 December 27th 10 10:25 PM
Grocery bag fun Debra Cat anecdotes 3 July 17th 05 05:27 AM
Tweed's flowers finances Victor Martinez Cat anecdotes 1 May 21st 05 10:52 PM
Tweed's Pictures CatNipped Cat anecdotes 26 October 3rd 04 04:01 AM
Dulce's grocery bag Christine Burel Cat anecdotes 2 October 26th 03 03:23 PM