Weird thing (computer related)

Old December 1st 13, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Weird thing (computer related)

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
I got an email from Yahoo saying:
: We noticed a login attempt to your Yahoo account [...] from an
: unrecognised device on Mon, Nov 25, 2013 14:09 MST from United
: States.
: Was this you? If so, you need to pass Yahoo second sign-in
: verification or sign in from the device you normally use.

It seemed pretty clear from Tweed's post that she's well aware
it wasn't really from Yahoo

It probably *was* a legit message from Yahoo, reporting an attempt
at accessing her account. I had similar messages from Google when
I was in Malaysia and New Zealand earlier this year - I'd been trying
to use Gmail from an iPhone or local internet cafes, and since I'd
never accessed their service before from anywhere within thousands
of miles, they marked the access as suspicious and got me to use the
backup authentication method. Which is exactly what they should
have done. In this case the access attempt seems not have been
legit, but the response on Yahoo's part was appropriate, and was
exactly what she signed up for.

I didn't see the original message (I have Tweed killfiled) but it
doesn't look like she provided enough information to tell whether
the response purporting to be from Yahoo had been faked. It could
be, but there's no reason to suppose so this time.

I'm sorry that Jack has killfilled me, I haven't but we don't get along very
well. Main reason is that he doesn't neuter his boys (or his girls)