FeLV kittens, questions

Old October 14th 04, 01:09 AM
KellyH

Default FeLV kittens, questions

We had a litter of 5 kittens dumped at the shelter yesterday. They were
left in a carrier with a pillow in front of the carrier (so we wouldn't see
them? not sure what the pillow was for) at the fence. They range in size
from 3 lbs to 1 lbs, all have conjunctivitis and URI. The two biggest
kittens tested positive for FeLV on the snap test. We weren't able to test
the littlest one because she wasn't giving up any blood. The other two came
up negative. We are going to run IFA tests next week. Going by size, they
seem to be different litters, but they look very similar, all orange /
orange and white.
Our shelter is not no-kill, it is in the bylaws that we are not to keep
FeLV+ cats/kittens. We do not have anywhere in the shelter to keep these
kittens, they are in a cage in the thrift store we run, under the guise of
having "severe URI" and no one can take them home to their cats or be in the
shelter with the others. All of our foster homes have other cats. If the
IFA test is positive, does that mean they definitely have FeLV? If not, how
long to re-test? Can they be in homes with other cats? It doesn't seem to
make sense to me that the two bigger kittens were positive. I would think
the smaller ones would, and the bigger ones not, if they are growing out of
it.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old October 14th 04, 02:34 AM
Wendy

"KellyH" wrote in message
[...]

This might help with your question about retesting.
http://www.angelfire.com/il/felv/felvsick.htm

Old October 14th 04, 12:34 PM
Phil P.

"KellyH" wrote in message
> [...]

Hiya Kelly,

We had a litter of 5 kittens dumped at the shelter yesterday. They were
left in a carrier with a pillow in front of the carrier (so we wouldn't

see
them? not sure what the pillow was for) at the fence.

I used to get enraged when people did that - I called them "cowards", but
then I thought about it and was thankful they didn't "dispose" of the cats
in a river or dumpster or some other cruel manner.

[...]

Good call.

All of our foster homes have other cats. If the
IFA test is positive, does that mean they definitely have FeLV?

Usually, but not always. An IFA+ can mean the cat either has a productive
FeLV infection in the bone marrow cells or is rejecting a transient
marrow-origin infection. Unfortunately, an IFA+ usually means the cat has a
persistent marrow infection.

If not, how
long to re-test?

1 to 3 months. I test IFA+s every month for three months, then 3 months
later, then 6 months later. I've had a few IFA+s turn - after 3 and 6
months. :-)))

Can they be in homes with other cats?

Its a tough call. An IFA+ means the cats are probably shedding virus.
Older cats (4 months) are generally resistant to FeLV, but age-related
resistance isn't a certainty - older cats can become infected.

It doesn't seem to
make sense to me that the two bigger kittens were positive.

It gets a little confusing here. The ELISA+ could be detecting a transient
infection - most ELISA+s usually are (because they're so sensitive). The
ELISA could also be detecting a local tissue infection in some nonmyeloid
part of the body. Also, an ELISA - can turn + if the test isn't run
properly. You'll get a lot of -s on the retests. Good thing the Snap kits
only cost $5!

I would think
the smaller ones would, and the bigger ones not, if they are growing out

of
it.

Although the ELISA- snaps are reliable, I would question a - result in a
high-risk situation and opt for a retest. I would even retest an IFA- cat
from a high-risk situation in 3 months just to make sure she isn't
incubating the virus.

FeLV is very frustrating product of hell.

You're a real trooper, Kelly.

Best of luck.

Phil

(Any word on Antonio?)

Old October 14th 04, 04:26 PM
KellyH

"Phil P." wrote in message
I used to get enraged when people did that - I called them "cowards", but
then I thought about it and was thankful they didn't "dispose" of the cats
in a river or dumpster or some other cruel manner.

I know.. you gotta be thankful for the little things, huh?

Usually, but not always. An IFA+ can mean the cat either has a
productive
FeLV infection in the bone marrow cells or is rejecting a transient
marrow-origin infection. Unfortunately, an IFA+ usually means the cat has
persistent marrow infection.

1 to 3 months. I test IFA+s every month for three months, then 3 months
later, then 6 months later. I've had a few IFA+s turn - after 3 and 6
months. :-)))

OK, then it seems our biggest obstacle is going to be finding somewhere for
these kittens to stay while they go through retesting. They really
shouldn't be in the store. That's going to go over like a fart in church
with some of the by-the-book people.

Its a tough call. An IFA+ means the cats are probably shedding virus.
Older cats (4 months) are generally resistant to FeLV, but age-related
resistance isn't a certainty - older cats can become infected.

So if someone has young adult healthy cats, and the kittens are in a
separate room, the resident cats should be OK? I wish I could take them,
but I have my PSS kitten and I absolutely cannot risk her getting infected.
My other cats are all healthy adults. Plus, I'm taking in a foster today
who's going to need my foster room.

It gets a little confusing here. The ELISA+ could be detecting a
transient
infection - most ELISA+s usually are (because they're so sensitive). The
ELISA could also be detecting a local tissue infection in some nonmyeloid
part of the body. Also, an ELISA - can turn + if the test isn't run
properly. You'll get a lot of -s on the retests. Good thing the Snap
kits
only cost $5!

So the bigger kittens could be going through the shedding process, and
that's why they were positive and the smaller ones negative? That makes
sense. We're going to re-run the snap tests on Tuesday when the vet comes
in.

Although the ELISA- snaps are reliable, I would question a - result in a
high-risk situation and opt for a retest. I would even retest an IFA- cat
from a high-risk situation in 3 months just to make sure she isn't
incubating the virus.

FeLV is very frustrating product of hell.

Yes, it is! And I could kick these people for not coming up to the shelter
and turning them in! If they did, we could maybe test the mother and find
out where these kittens came from. It would be nice to have a history. We
are also talking to some other rescues that take in FeLV+ cats to see if
maybe they can take these babies.

(Any word on Antonio?)

No. :-( I've got 5 traps out now. Caught my first raccoon yesterday. I
was out checking the traps late last night and found the guy in the trap,
very frightening! I opened it with a stick. I didn't know raccoons hiss!

Old October 15th 04, 03:38 PM
Phil P.

"KellyH" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote in message

[...]

Should be. Effective virus transmission requires prolonged close, moist,
contact - e.g., mutual grooming, sharing food/water bowls and litterboxes,
or a single bite wound.

I wish I could take them,
but I have my PSS kitten and I absolutely cannot risk her getting

infected.
My other cats are all healthy adults. Plus, I'm taking in a foster today
who's going to need my foster room.

It gets a little confusing here. The ELISA+ could be detecting a
transient
infection - most ELISA+s usually are (because they're so sensitive).

The
ELISA could also be detecting a local tissue infection in some

nonmyeloid
part of the body. Also, an ELISA - can turn + if the test isn't run
properly. You'll get a lot of -s on the retests. Good thing the Snap
kits
only cost $5!

So the bigger kittens could be going through the shedding process,

"Shedding" means infective to other cats; shedding virus in the saliva,
blood, urine... It dosen't mean "shed" as in "getting rid of". An ELISA+
does not mean the cats are shedding virus (infective to susceptible cats) ;
it only means FeLV viral antigen (P-27) is circulating in the blood. IOW,
an ELISA + indicates FeLV antigenemia but not necessarily viremia. OTOH,
an IFA+ indicates the presence of virus in WBC and platelets or bone marrow
cells, and viral shedding (infective).

and
that's why they were positive and the smaller ones negative?

No. The older cats were probably exposed to the virus earlier than the
kittens.

That makes
sense. We're going to re-run the snap tests on Tuesday when the vet comes
in.

Good idea. Hopefully, the kittens will remain - and the older cats will
seroconvert.

Although the ELISA- snaps are reliable, I would question a - result in

high-risk situation and opt for a retest. I would even retest an IFA-

cat
from a high-risk situation in 3 months just to make sure she isn't
incubating the virus.

FeLV is very frustrating product of hell.

Yes, it is! And I could kick these people for not coming up to the

shelter
and turning them in! If they did, we could maybe test the mother and find
out where these kittens came from. It would be nice to have a history.

We
are also talking to some other rescues that take in FeLV+ cats to see if
maybe they can take these babies.

Good luck.

(Any word on Antonio?)

No. :-( I've got 5 traps out now. Caught my first raccoon yesterday. I
was out checking the traps late last night and found the guy in the trap,
very frightening! I opened it with a stick. I didn't know raccoons hiss!

Often, you'll trap every type of animal but the cat! Just be careful.

Good luck.

Phil

Old October 15th 04, 04:52 PM
KellyH

;
it only means FeLV viral antigen (P-27) is circulating in the blood. IOW,
an ELISA + indicates FeLV antigenemia but not necessarily viremia. OTOH,
an IFA+ indicates the presence of virus in WBC and platelets or bone
marrow
cells, and viral shedding (infective).

Gotcha. I was a little confused on the "shedding". I'll keep you posted on
these little guys.