Defacation problem

Old July 7th 03, 03:32 AM
Paul Huckabay

Default Defacation problem

Ok, I've got this wonderful cat that has had this problem for several years
now, and maybe someone here can help.

He is a mixed breed, but beautiful animal. I got him from my vet when he was
a kitten. He is neutered/declawed (front). He is approximately four years
old.

On to the problem. To put it bluntly, he will not crap in the liter box. He
craps just outside of it, on the floor, and ocassionally in a corner of the
house (but now we've started locking him in the bathroom, he sticks to the
floor in there). We have two liter boxes, and only one other animal, a 5lb
yorkshire terrier (female, spayed).

We've tried everything, 4 liter boxes, meticulous cleaning ... but it is the
rare ocassion when he craps in the liter box. It happens, just not very
often. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Paul

Old July 7th 03, 03:43 AM
MaryL

"Paul Huckabay" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I wonder if the fact that he is declawed has anything to do with this. Have
you noticed any sign of tenderness in his feet? Does he cover his urine or
only use the box without covering? The reason I ask is that I had a cat who
was declawed before I adopted her. When she became elderly (which I realize
is not the case with yours), it seemed to become painful for her to dig in
litter. I attributed it to arthritis plus the fact that she didn't have her
claws for extra protection. I used the softest clumping litter I could find
(Better Way -- can be difficult to find), and that helped a lot.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly (pictorial history of my blind cat Duffy's
integration into our household):
Duffy, Part I: The Introduction -- http://tinyurl.com/8y54
Duffy, Part II: Life at Home -- http://tinyurl.com/8y56

Old July 8th 03, 01:02 PM
Phil P.

[...]

Have you ruled out medical possibilities? He may be associating past or
present painful defecation with the litterbox. Speak to your vet about a
rectal examination including x-rays- might identify the cause.

Good luck.

Phil