Movie to See

Old May 14th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default My LLL (was: Movie to See)

jmcquown wrote:
CatNipped wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
"Matthew aka NMR" wrote in message
. ..
What I meant is that he did talk mainly about Christianity.
On 2006-05-13, Matthew aka NMR penned:
I can't wait to see the movie. Also the truth about
religion is hopefully brought to light

That people make up the version of religion that suits their
purposes?

Er, seriously, curious what you mean by that. I mean, there are
lot of religions.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Except that "The Da Vinci Code" is a work of fiction. There really
isn't any "truth" to be brought out by this novel.

Exactly. It's a movie based on a novel. I just like Tom Hanks as
an actor.
I enjoyed the book years ago and am looking forward to seeing the
film just
to see what Ron Howard was able to make of it. As a director he's
done some
pretty good stuff. Lil' Opie all grown up shucks

Jill

Yeah, I *LOVE* his movies. I like Tom Hanks also - it just
distresses me that he's no longer quite so drool worthy (which means
I've more mileage on me than I'd like! ;)

Heh, I'm not that far behind you, mileage-wise. Remember how Tom got
his start? The TV show 'Bosom Buddies', dressing in drag. Lots of
people don't remember that.

Jill

I used to love that show, but Tom wasn't my fave on it, I preferred Peter
Scolari (who has seemingly faded into bit-parts on TV shows obscurity).

I remember Tom in one of his earlier movie roles: Big. that must have been
a fun movie - playing a 12-year-old stuck in an adult body! This movie,
BTW, was directed by another Happy Days cast member: Penny Marshall
(Laverne - who had a spin-off show: Laverne & Shirley - and I have a funny
tidbit about this show - Mom said that when they aired in Germany, they had
a disclaimer at the beginning that not all people in America were this
looney, these two were just escapees from a mental institution)

Old May 15th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Please trim this Christmas Tree.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 2006-05-13, Matthew aka NMR penned:
I can't wait to see the movie. Also the truth about
religion is hopefully brought to light

no. ;

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 15th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Movie to See

On 2006-05-14, Cheryl Perkins penned:

The problem is, I didn't find it entertaining either. I thought it
was poorly written with two-dimensional characters and supposedly
really difficult puzzles that weren't, in fact, as difficult as
those in an average mystery novel. Tastes in books vary
considerably, so it doesn't suprise me really that not everyone
agrees with me so far. But the rest of it was basically a rehash of
all that Templar and Mary Magdalene stuff that I'd read elsewhere
thirty years ago or more! Maybe that's more interesting if you're
coming at it for the first time.

Well, I mostly agree with you about the puzzle part, but for me it
*was* my first introduction to a lot of those theories. At least it
got me thinking.

As I understand it, at least it now seems that Mary had a much bigger
role as a follower of Jesus than anyone used to think. That's a big
deal. I'm not Christian, but it still means a lot to me to think that
such an influential figure in the history of the world didn't exclude
females.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 15th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Cheryl Perkins wrote:

I've always liked the Mary and Martha story, in which both Martha's
housework and Mary's listening to the teaching are mentioned - and
the woman who neglected her housework is praised!

I wasn't raised Christian, so I'm pretty out of the loop about this and
other stories. Could you elaborate, or give a pointer to some info?

I don't have any plans to convert to Christianity, but if I ever did, I'm
quite sure I would choose to be a Catholic. Something about that religion
fascinates me: The focus on the Virgin Mary, all the saints, the ritual,
the drama! The intensity, mysticism and blatant Paganism - especially the
Latin American flavors of Catholicism.

Of course, there's also the little problem about sex being sinful and
bodies being shameful, not to mention an extremely wealthy and powerful
Church that tells everyone what to do and how to run their countries.
I would probably find some radical, off-the-beaten-path congregation
that the Vatican wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole.

Thanks,
Joyce
Old May 15th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:

It's hard to say one way or the other. I've got my father's side of the
family (my great uncle traced the lineage) back to 1679 Scotland. However,
given the differences in spellings it's hard to say exactly. I've been in
contact with a Bruce MacEwen and we seem to have mutual family ties way back
when, but that's not the spelling of my name. At least if your family has
lived in one country church birth/death/marriage records *might* be fairly
consistent. But with immigration, surnames being changed or misspelled, I'd
have to agree it's not easy to keep accurate records for such a long period
of time.

My Cousin, David, has been tracking the Tiegs family line back. Before
old Albert Tiegs changed it at Ellis Island (I think) It was Tiets.
Other members of the family changed it to Teigs. It is unknown how many
of them kept the original spelling.

Rob's family name, Shirk, has something like fourteen different
spellings and variations from the original Schurch. The Shirk family
page lists all of those they know about.

Personally, I have a preference for the dirty dogs in the family tree.
One of the Shirk ancestors died on the Oregon Trail. All of his
belongings were sent back to his wife and family in Pennsylvania,
leaving the wife and kiddies on the trail to do without and make their
way to California in whatever way they could.

Movie cat Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 0 February 22nd 05 01:03 AM
Indie's red greebling chase up the great recliner (movie) Lorraine Cat anecdotes 1 February 1st 05 04:35 AM
[OT] Soccer Movie Question Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 5 January 13th 04 03:57 PM
Declawing mentioned in movie "Elf" KellyH Cat health & behaviour 3 November 16th 03 12:13 AM