Ping Monique [OT re - thyroid problems]

Old May 15th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Ping Monique [OT re - thyroid problems]

I replied in another post about this, but thought others might want to
know - hypothyroidism is one of the most under-diagnosed illness in the
world. The symptoms to look for:

- Fatigue
- Weakness
- Weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight
- Coarse, dry hair
- Dry, rough pale skin
- Hair loss
- Cold intolerance
- Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches
- Constipation
- Depression
- Irritability
- Memory loss
- Abnormal menstrual cycles
- Decreased libido

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 15th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-05-15, CatNipped penned:
I replied in another post about this, but thought others might want to
know - hypothyroidism is one of the most under-diagnosed illness in the
world. The symptoms to look for:

- Fatigue
- Weakness
- Weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight
- Coarse, dry hair
- Dry, rough pale skin
- Hair loss
- Cold intolerance
- Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches
- Constipation
- Depression
- Irritability
- Memory loss
- Abnormal menstrual cycles
- Decreased libido

Thanks, Lori. I've had thyroid tests two or three times, but they've
always come back in the normal ranges. I think I got them for
depression and for the current mess, and I don't recall why but it
seems like there was another test, too.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 16th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jo Firey wrote:

Mine is low but not so low the doc wants to treat it. But I suspect its
getting worse.

Mine had always been in the low normal range, but when I
went to an M.D. who specialized in nutrition, he promptly
put me on a low dose of (porcine) thyroid, and within a
week I was feeling better. I've been on it ever since,
although as I aged the dosage became higher. (Many people
as they age develop mild hypothyroidism, and a low dose of
the hormone can make all the difference in your energy
levels, even if you test within the "normal" range without it.)

Old May 16th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jo Firey wrote:

Mine is low but not so low the doc wants to treat it. But I suspect its
getting worse.

Mine had always been in the low normal range, but when I went to an M.D.
who specialized in nutrition, he promptly put me on a low dose of
(porcine) thyroid, and within a week I was feeling better. I've been on
it ever since, although as I aged the dosage became higher. (Many people
as they age develop mild hypothyroidism, and a low dose of the hormone can
make all the difference in your energy levels, even if you test within the
"normal" range without it.)

That's what they gave me (Armour Thyroid, which is ground up pig's thyroid).
I'm really hoping it helps (I take my first dose tonight) because the pain
and other symptoms are really getting me down lately.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 16th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

Thanks, Lori. I've had thyroid tests two or three times, but they've
always come back in the normal ranges. I think I got them for
depression and for the current mess, and I don't recall why but it
seems like there was another test, too.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

I have a hypoactive thyroid but my thyroid levels were normal. The only
reason it was discovered was because I noticed a "lump" in my neck one day
while I was drying off from a shower. I had my head back and it was really
noticable. It turns out that my thyroid levels were low so my thyroid
started working harder to make hormones and therefore enlarged to compensate
for the extra work. I had all sorts of tests and everything turned out
normal. My doctor put me on Synthroid and my thyroid gland began to shrink.
Although I still have a slightly enlarged thyroid it isn't as bad as
premedication. It is enlarged enough that when my allergies act up and my
sinuses swell I have trouble breathing. Everything swollen at once cuts off
air.

Julie

Old May 16th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-05-16, Julie Cook penned:

premedication. It is enlarged enough that when my allergies act up
and my sinuses swell I have trouble breathing. Everything swollen
at once cuts off air.

Ugh! That would be scary (and uncomfortable).

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 16th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:

Jo Firey wrote:

Mine is low but not so low the doc wants to treat it. But I suspect its
getting worse.

Mine had always been in the low normal range, but when I went to an M.D.
who specialized in nutrition, he promptly put me on a low dose of
(porcine) thyroid, and within a week I was feeling better. I've been on
it ever since, although as I aged the dosage became higher. (Many people
as they age develop mild hypothyroidism, and a low dose of the hormone can
make all the difference in your energy levels, even if you test within the
"normal" range without it.)

That's what they gave me (Armour Thyroid, which is ground up pig's thyroid).
I'm really hoping it helps (I take my first dose tonight) because the pain
and other symptoms are really getting me down lately.

I do hope it will help you get rid of the pain, CN.
Best wishes and purrs,
Polonca and Soncek

Ping Monique CatNipped Cat anecdotes 1 July 23rd 05 10:40 PM
Ping Monique CatNipped Cat anecdotes 7 July 22nd 05 03:22 PM
[OT] Ping Monique - Thanks! CatNipped Cat anecdotes 0 July 13th 05 02:10 AM
Ping & Weeble visit TED (long) Magic Mood JeepĀ© Cat anecdotes 22 November 11th 04 01:35 PM