and several months behind the times ... Brokeback Mountain

Old May 16th 06, 12:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default and several months behind the times ... Brokeback Mountain

I went to see "Brokeback Mountain" today, which is just about to
finish its run in our local Independent cinema.

Wow.

What an amazing, moving and wonderful movie. This one is going to
live with me for a while.

I go to very few movies; in fact this is the first movie I've been to
this year. And I'm so glad I made the effort.

This movie has had an interesting history where I live (Campbelltown,
Sydney) - there are two cinemas in town - a large multi-national one
and a tiny independent one. The large multi-national one refused to
screen it here, even though it screened it in cinemas elsewhere in its
chain. The publicity stated something along the lines that they
deemed that the Campbelltown movie-going public would not pay money to
see a movie like Brokeback. Admittedly, this area is probably pretty
conservative (read "narrow minded") - an interesting mix of recent
migrants, many from the greater Persian area, but also large numbers
of Pacific Islanders, SE Asians and, a generation ago, Greeks and
Italians. Not too long ago this area was still a small town with a
small town lack of compassion for those who are different from the
"norm".

The independent cinema waited until the furore had died down a little
and brought it in for a special two-week screening (which they usually
reserve for art house movies). Yay independents! They were rewarded
by getting decent crowds to the screenings - even mid-morning on a
week day (which is when I went).

Tish (who will be dreaming a better future and a happy ending for Jack
and Ennis in my sleep tonight)