Kitty Crisis Averted

Old November 3rd 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

Default Kitty Crisis Averted

"Candace" wrote in message
Sheesh, guess what? I go out to feed the outdoor kitties about 8am
and there is the teeniest, tiniest baby kitten out there, seriously
not more than 3 weeks old, if that. It was easy to get cuz it's so
tiny it couldn't get away. It was actually marked a lot like Google,
our newest kitten (he is 5 weeks old, though) but different shaped
face. I about croaked, as you can imagine, since I am totally
overwhelmed with about 10 outdoor cats now. I just don't get where a
tiny kitty like that would come from. I looked all around our yard
and in the alley to see if there were more (sure hope not!!!) then put
it in a carrier. I think it's too little to eat on its own. It looks
very healthy and chubby but it was shaking. I went to the neighbors
who like cats--of course no one could help, as usual. Then Tony
called this woman he works with (actually she got laid off a few weeks
ago but her boyfriend still works there). She has 5 cats and 2 dogs.
Can you believe it, she asked Graham (her charming, handsome English
boyfriend) and he said, sure. So we took the baby over to their
really gorgeous house, met all their other well-cared-for indoor/
outdoor kitties and that was that!!!!!! I am shocked. Who would have
thought? I'm sooooo relieved cuz, really, I am tapped out $$ wise,
space wise, every wise. I didn't know what I was gonna do. Keep him
in a cage and try to syringe feed him and beg people to take him, I
guess.

I just hope no one else that tiny ever shows up again. Could people
actually be dumping them intentionally at our house? How would they
know?????? Most of the outdoor cats we currently feed lay pretty low
in the daytime and only appear at night to eat. There are really only
2 that are visible during the day and they pretty much stay in our
yard out of sight. How dreadful this all is but that is one tiny,
lucky little kitty!

Candace

Glad for the happy news Candace! I don't think anyone is dumping them
there, it's probably more likely that the babies are following the adults.

Old November 4th 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Candace

On Nov 3, 12:09*pm, DWMeowMix wrote:
On Nov 2, 6:30*pm, Candace wrote:

On Nov 2, 3:30*pm, Cat Guy wrote:

Candace wrote:
I about croaked, as you can imagine, since I am totally
overwhelmed with about 10 outdoor cats now. *

Good for you. *And good for the cats.

Obviously you haven't heard of a revolutionary new treatment for cats
called spaying and neutering.

(shakes my head in disgust)...

Yeah, **** you, asswipe. *They're all my cats and I just let 'em keep
breeding. *What's wrong with that? *I like to see the beauty of birth.

I can understand that, so video tape it. *Over-population is a HUGE
problem and you yourself state that you are "overwhelmed" with cats.
70% of all cats entering shelters are euthanized. *70%!!!! Population
control by spaying and neutering is the only responsible thing to do
to help stop the killing of innocent animals. *I am not targeting you
specifically just the mentality. *Unfortunately there are far too many
people who have this same attitude towards the animals in their care
and millions of them end up in rescues and kill-shelters EVERY YEAR.
Millions more DIE because there aren't enough responsible pet parents
to go around. *Please, please give this alot of thought Candice. *You
are not doing your kitties any favors by letting them breed
indiscrimately.

Pet Population Statistics: *http://www.petpopulation.org/statsurvey.html

DWMeowMix

Thanks, and what you say is all true. My comment was sarcastic and I
understand that someone who has not posted to this ng for very long
would not know that. The cats that I am overwhelmed by are stray cats
who have shown up in my yard, almost all within the last 4-6 weeks. I
personally have 3 indoor cats, all neutered or spayed, except for the
5 month old we just brought in from outside after he was dumped. He
will be neutered in about a month. I also have a neutered outdoor cat
who showed up as a feral cat 2.5 years ago who has to remain outside
because he sprays everything in sight. He is such a good cat that he
very rarely leaves our yard anymore. I had another neutered outdoor
cat who was killed by loose dogs last April. Yes, some of the last 9
or so who have shown up are not neutered. And, not to make myself
sound wonderful, but since 9/17/08 (6 weeks ago), I have spent $1700
on vet bills, the majority ($1,000) for one of the strays who, sadly,
died anyway. Most of the rest of the $700 was spent on Google, the
kitten we brought in from outside. The rest was to keep my existing
cats' vaccinations up because of all the strays around outside (that
they have no contact with anyway).

And you know what, I can't freaking afford to have 9 more cats spayed
and neutered. My yard seems to be a dumping ground!!!!! The newest
cats who have shown up are tame (maybe some are even spayed, I hope)
but I am not the one dumping them. I am, on the other hand, the one
feeding them and trying to give them affection and a little pleasure
in their lives since their ****wad owners dumped them to fend for
themselves. And, as my one vet said to me the other day, when I was
commiserating about this horrible situation, "You can only do what you
can do, Candace." So there!!!!! That's what I'm doing--what I can
do!!!!!! Can you do better?

I work for a living and I'm not sure if my job is stable for all
eternity so it makes me very nervous spending all this money on stray
cats and getting other cats dependent on me for their livelihood but I
have to feed them. It's wrong not to. But am I going to get 9 more
cats neutered and spayed in the next few days? Nope! Are some maybe
going to breed before I get them spayed? Maybe!!!!! Are there groups
who help out? Yes, some, but they are all hurting now, too, and they
don't help enough. They still want some money for each neuter/spay,
they still want me to do the trapping of the ferals myself with their
loaned traps...in my spare time. Should I quit my job and devote my
life to setting traps for every feral and formerly owned, now
skittish, cat who shows up in my yard? Yeah, you're right, that's an
excellent idea.

Guess what! I'm not gonna. I'm going to feed them and DO THE BEST I
CAN and get some neutered and spayed as I can without impoverishing
myself and I'm going to pray that every other piece of **** takes care
of their own animals instead of dumping them on me. And, you know
what, the birth process grosses me out so that's the last thing I want
to see...yuck!!!!!!!!!

Cats mean a lot to me but I've got a couple other things going on in
my life and I'm not devoting every single monetary, time, emotional
resource I have to them.

So, thank you for your concern. You are correct that every cat should
be spayed or neutered but until you have 9 or so cats in your yard
every night wanting to be fed, then kindly don't judge me. This was
not me who caused all this and I can't afford to fix it all!!!!!!!!!!
One's primary responsibility is to their existing pets. I'd like to
have some money left in case one of my own cats needs something and as
someone who has had numerous cats with serious medical problems that
required thousands of dollars worth of treatment, I think that's wise.

I've been on this ng since 1998--I am not the problem but I guess I am
not the solution for every cat either. Are you?

Candace

And I don't know why every post I've made the last couple of days
spews out umpteen times. Sorry.
Old November 4th 08, 03:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Candace

On Nov 3, 7:16*am, James wrote:
On Nov 2, 7:30*pm, Candace wrote:

On Nov 2, 3:30*pm, Cat Guy wrote:

Candace wrote:
I about croaked, as you can imagine, since I am totally
overwhelmed with about 10 outdoor cats now. *

Good for you. *And good for the cats.

Obviously you haven't heard of a revolutionary new treatment for cats
called spaying and neutering.

(shakes my head in disgust)...

Yeah, **** you, asswipe. *They're all my cats and I just let 'em keep
breeding. *What's wrong with that? *I like to see the beauty of birth.

OTOH a healthy chubby kit might not be far from the mother. *You might
have forced ween the little thing.

Well, I hope not. As I've said, I'm familiar with the cats I feed out
there and none of them have birthed any babies lately. I left the
kitty outside in my backyard in a carrier (this is Phoenix so it
wasn't in danger of freezing) for about 2 hours while I made frantic
phone calls inside and no kitty came looking for it. I would think if
there were a mom cat around that it would be eating at my house, too,
and it's not. This kitty, which I originally thought was maybe 3
weeks old, and now think 2 weeks is more like it, could not have just
wandered away from a nest on its own. It walks that way tiny babies
walk, falling over and stumbling, unstady on its little feet. It had
to be put pretty close by either by a human or a cat but I don't know
where the cat went. I was home most of yesterday and spent a lot of
time outside looking for other kittens, in my yard, in the alley. I
looked more this evening after getting home. I don't see anything or
any unfamiliar adult cats.

Candace
Old November 4th 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Candace

On Nov 3, 11:35*am, "CatNipped" wrote:
"Candace" wrote in message

On Nov 2, 3:30 pm, Cat Guy wrote:

Candace wrote:
I about croaked, as you can imagine, since I am totally
overwhelmed with about 10 outdoor cats now.

Good for you. And good for the cats.

Obviously you haven't heard of a revolutionary new treatment for cats
called spaying and neutering.

(shakes my head in disgust)...

Yeah, **** you, asswipe. *They're all my cats and I just let 'em keep
breeding. *What's wrong with that? *I like to see the beauty of birth..

LOL! *Yeah, Candace, keep breeding those kitties - they make a real good
stew if you run out of squirrels in your neighborhood! *;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Hehe, we don't even have squirrels in Phoenix--a roof rat or 2--but I
guess the kitties is made fer eatin'. That's why I'm fattening 'em
up!!!!!!
Old November 4th 08, 12:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

On Nov 2, 6:30 pm, Candace wrote:

On Nov 2, 3:30 pm, Cat Guy wrote:

Candace wrote:
[...]

==

Candace,

Your vet is right. All you can do is the best you can do-- and you *are*
doing you best-- which is a hell of a lot better than most people.

I know how you feel. Last year we trapped and neutered over 2,200 cats.
We're way over that this year and its only November. We're still finding
pregnant queens and there's no end in sight. I feel like I'm trying to bail
out a sinking ship with a strainer. I know it may seem like you're not
making a difference- but you really are. Even neutering one stray makes a
difference because that's 4-6 kittens that won't be killed by dogs or starve
to death or grow up just to be killed in a shelter

The only advice I can offer is when your budget is tight, concentrate all
your resources on the females because they control the population. Don't
worry about the males. You would be doing more good by spaying one female
than neutering 10 or 15 males.

Keep the faith,

Phil

Old November 4th 08, 12:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Candace" wrote in message
Sheesh, guess what? I go out to feed the outdoor kitties about 8am
and there is the teeniest, tiniest baby kitten out there, seriously
not more than 3 weeks old, if that. It was easy to get cuz it's so
tiny it couldn't get away. It was actually marked a lot like Google,
our newest kitten (he is 5 weeks old, though) but different shaped
face. I about croaked, as you can imagine, since I am totally
overwhelmed with about 10 outdoor cats now. I just don't get where a
tiny kitty like that would come from.

Sometimes, when a momma wants to move her kittens a long way she'll move
them in stages so she'll never be very far away from any of the kittens
while she's moving them. IOW, she'll move them one by one to a halfway
point. After she has all the kittens at the halfway mark, she'll start
moving them one by one to the next spot. If the final destination is very
far, she'll move the kittens in 3 or 4 or more stages. So, the last kitten
to be moved and first kitten moved to the new spot would look like they were
abandoned.

Also, some queens will abandon a kitten if they thinks its sick or thinks
there's something wrong with it. Runts seem to be abandoned the most by
their moms.

You saved a helpless kitten's life. Doesn't if feel great!

Phil

Old November 4th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
DWMeowMix

snip
And I don't know why every post I've made the last couple of days
spews out umpteen times. *Sorry.- Hide quoted text -

Wheeu...that's alot of stuff to spew! :-) I wasn't being
judgemental, just trying to change your mind on your stance as I
perceived it with the limited information I had. The nuances of
speech and what you mean between the lines are very hard to pick up on
in the written word, especially when emotionally reacting to a
perceived insult. You are right, I haven't posted to this board very
long so I don't know all the players well yet. So, if I offended
you, my apologies, that was not my intention. Sounds like your doing
a wonderful job with what you can. Phil is right though...pick your
battles and concentrate on the females. I would hope we all do the
best we can to take care of the helpless animals that share our
planet.

DWMeowMix
Furmom to Woody, Waco, Yota and Chasca

P.S. Do you have a local feral/stray group in your area that you
could contact? Maybe they could give you some advice on how they
handle the monetary end of things when they TNR ferals.
Old August 13th 09, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

Candace wrote:

Cat Guy wrote:
Candace wrote:

I about croaked, as you can imagine, since I am totally
overwhelmed with about 10 outdoor cats now. *

Good for you. *And good for the cats.

Obviously you haven't heard of a revolutionary new treatment
for cats called spaying and neutering.

(shakes my head in disgust)...

Yeah, **** you, asswipe. They're all my cats and I just let 'em
keep breeding. What's wrong with that?

Letting them breed is not the problem, feeding them (without
fixing them) so that they will breed is the problem.

I like to see the beauty of birth.

Some people probably like the show of attention when they get home
from work/whatever, like having their own little groupies.