[OT] Soccer Movie Question

Old January 12th 04, 04:16 AM
Jeanne Hedge

Default [OT] Soccer Movie Question

A question for those who know a heck of a lot more about soccer
(football) than this american girl does....

They were showing the 1981 movie "Victory" on TV tonight. I believe it
was also known as "Escape to Victory". This was the movie with Michael
Caine and Sylvester Stallone set during WW2, where Allied POWs played
a soccer match against the German army team in Paris.

Anyway, there's a bunch of real players in it, but I've only heard of
a few of them (Pele and Bobby Moore). This may be heresy, but I'm
wondering how good the ones I don't know were during their playing
days.

Osvaldo Ardiles
Kazimierz Deyna
Soren Lindsted
Kevin O'Callaghan
Russell Osman
Co Prins
Werner Roth
Laurie Sivell
Mike Summerbee
Hallvar Thoresen
Robin Turner
Paul Van Himst
John Wark

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

http://www.jhedge.com
Old January 12th 04, 01:06 PM
David Stevenson

Jeanne Hedge wrote
A question for those who know a heck of a lot more about soccer
(football) than this american girl does....

They were showing the 1981 movie "Victory" on TV tonight. I believe it
was also known as "Escape to Victory". This was the movie with Michael
Caine and Sylvester Stallone set during WW2, where Allied POWs played
a soccer match against the German army team in Paris.

Anyway, there's a bunch of real players in it, but I've only heard of
a few of them (Pele and Bobby Moore). This may be heresy, but I'm
wondering how good the ones I don't know were during their playing
days.

Osvaldo Ardiles

A lovely little Argentine that came to Spurs after playing for
Argentina in a World Cup. Very unfortunate for him when we went ot war
with the Argentine: as he said his children were effectively English,
having been brought up and schooled over here. Eventually he was lent
for nine months to a French club. He cam eback. After several more
years eh went into management, though I sod not think he was too
successful, and last I heard was manager of an east European team.

Kazimierz Deyna
Soren Lindsted
Kevin O'Callaghan

Heard of him, that's all.

Russell Osman

Heard of him, that's all.

Co Prins
Werner Roth
Laurie Sivell
Mike Summerbee

Manchester City and England, a *long* time ago. Good player.

Hallvar Thoresen
Robin Turner
Paul Van Himst
John Wark

Ipswich, later Liverpool, a great goal poacher form midfield. Not
quite top class.

I have not even heard of the others.

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome
Old January 12th 04, 01:06 PM
David Stevenson

Karen Chuplis wrote
in article , Jeanne Hedge at
wrote on 1/11/04 10:16 PM:

[...]

I just recall that at the time it was well publicized that they used the
best players in the world. I really enjoyed that film.

If the above were the players then the advertising was lying, I am
afraid.

The time I saw the best players in the world was before the last World
Cup where they had an advertisement for Nike. That *was* impressive.
Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Beckham, Figo and a couple of others - all in one
advert.

Mind you, the fun advert was where they had a couple of top players
[Beckham, Ronaldo?] playing football against Japanese Sumo wrestlers. It
was a hoot! The one in goal just stood there and the ball bounced off!
When the sumo guys scored a goal they were throwing themselves in a long
glide across the wet pitch - fabulously impressive!!

Old January 13th 04, 12:39 AM
Karen Chuplis

I just recall that at the time it was well publicized that they used the
best players in the world. I really enjoyed that film.

If the above were the players then the advertising was lying, I am
afraid.

The time I saw the best players in the world was before the last World
Cup where they had an advertisement for Nike. That *was* impressive.
Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Beckham, Figo and a couple of others - all in one
advert.

Mind you, the fun advert was where they had a couple of top players
[Beckham, Ronaldo?] playing football against Japanese Sumo wrestlers. It
was a hoot! The one in goal just stood there and the ball bounced off!
When the sumo guys scored a goal they were throwing themselves in a long
glide across the wet pitch - fabulously impressive!!

I'd like to see that! I never saw that one. I bet it was great!

Karen

Old January 13th 04, 03:57 PM
CK

Jeanne Hedge wrote:

[...]

Here's a link to The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) with the full cast
and crew of this film. If you click on the name of the person you want
to find out more about, you go tho his own page. There you can click for
more of the personal trivia from "(show more)" after the first few words
of the trivia info. I checked a few of these players trivia, and they
did list where they'd played and such.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083284/fullcredits

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) yahoo (dot) com

LOTR3 Yowie Cat anecdotes 84 January 6th 04 09:20 PM
Garfield the movie John Biltz Cat anecdotes 6 November 8th 03 07:00 AM