Real fish as a one time treat

Old July 22nd 05, 06:54 AM
Mike S.

Default Real fish as a one time treat

My dad went fishing several months ago, caught some fish and would like
to feed them to my cats as a treat. The fish have been sitting in the
freezer for several months and my dad just recently stuck them in the
refrigerator to thaw out. They've been in there about six days, should
that be a problem as far as spoiling is concerned? If he cooks the fish
first, would it be ok to give them to the cats just this once?

Old July 22nd 05, 10:45 AM
-L.

Mike S. wrote:
My dad went fishing several months ago, caught some fish and would like
to feed them to my cats as a treat. The fish have been sitting in the
freezer for several months and my dad just recently stuck them in the
refrigerator to thaw out. They've been in there about six days, should
that be a problem as far as spoiling is concerned? If he cooks the fish
first, would it be ok to give them to the cats just this once?

6 days is a long time. Smell it. if it stinks, don't use it. If it
has regular raw fish smell, cook it and then feed it to the cats. I
wouldn't givge them a whole lot in one sitting though, as a sudden
change in diet like that can cause GI upset.

What kind of fish? If it is salt-water, I would feed less than if it
is fresh-water.

-L.

Old July 22nd 05, 12:24 PM
whitershadeofpale

-L. wrote:
Mike S. wrote:
My dad went fishing several months ago, caught some fish and would like
to feed them to my cats as a treat. The fish have been sitting in the
freezer for several months and my dad just recently stuck them in the
refrigerator to thaw out. They've been in there about six days, should
that be a problem as far as spoiling is concerned? If he cooks the fish
first, would it be ok to give them to the cats just this once?

6 days is a long time. Smell it. if it stinks, don't use it. If it
has regular raw fish smell, cook it and then feed it to the cats. I
wouldn't givge them a whole lot in one sitting though, as a sudden
change in diet like that can cause GI upset.

What kind of fish? If it is salt-water, I would feed less than if it
is fresh-water.

-L.

I can't believe you would say that! What, you think salt water fish has
more sodium in it? LOL

What do you know about old fish smell anyway.

Well I suppose we've all had fish go bad on us..fair enough

Old July 22nd 05, 04:50 PM
PawsForThought

Mike S. wrote:
My dad went fishing several months ago, caught some fish and would like
to feed them to my cats as a treat. The fish have been sitting in the
freezer for several months and my dad just recently stuck them in the
refrigerator to thaw out. They've been in there about six days, should
that be a problem as far as spoiling is concerned? If he cooks the fish
first, would it be ok to give them to the cats just this once?

Hi Mike,
IMO, 6 days in the refrigerator is too long. Personally, I wouldn't
chance it.

Lauren

Old July 22nd 05, 05:42 PM
mlbriggs

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:54:04 -0700, Mike S. wrote:

My dad went fishing several months ago, caught some fish and would like to
feed them to my cats as a treat. The fish have been sitting in the freezer
for several months and my dad just recently stuck them in the refrigerator
to thaw out. They've been in there about six days, should that be a
problem as far as spoiling is concerned? If he cooks the fish first, would
it be ok to give them to the cats just this once?

Would your Dad or you eat it?