Winter in June

Old June 23rd 04, 10:38 PM

Marina wrote:

Midsummer is a big deal here in
Finland, but we don't get to celebrate it on the actual day, because the
holiday has been moved to the weekend, so that Friday is officially
Midsummer Eve, though it was really on Monday. Well, at least we get a
three-day weekend. I'm taking the cats to the island this weekend

Do you have midnight sun where you are?

Happy summer solstice to all in the northern hemisphere! (And winter solstice
to those in the south.)

Joyce

Old June 23rd 04, 10:48 PM

Takayuki wrote:

if the velocity of light through a
vacuum is an absolute constant, and velocity is always relative, then
do two photons traveling towards each other have a relative velocity
of C (the speed of light) or 2C (twice the speed of light)?

I don't think photons have relative velocity - that's the theory of
special relativity. Everything else is relative, but light speed is
constant.

But I find that, even though I have a good head for science in general,
relativity theory is totally mind-boggling to me! So I might have that
somewhat wrong...

Joyce

Old June 24th 04, 04:06 AM
Marina

wrote
Marina wrote:

Midsummer is a big deal here in
Finland, but we don't get to celebrate it on the actual day, because

the
holiday has been moved to the weekend, so that Friday is officially
Midsummer Eve, though it was really on Monday. Well, at least we get a
three-day weekend. I'm taking the cats to the island this weekend

Do you have midnight sun where you are?

No, not quite. The sun sets for a few hours here in southern Finland, but up
north it shines all through the night. To my shame I must confess that I've
never seen the midnight sun.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Cold Winter Monarchs Bev Cat anecdotes 9 June 23rd 04 10:24 PM
Camping information: Heading west. Tanada Cat anecdotes 34 May 17th 04 06:15 PM
Officially it is winter. dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers Cat anecdotes 5 November 28th 03 12:48 AM
Winter is coming Angela Ryan Cat anecdotes 7 September 4th 03 06:43 AM