purrs for kyla

Old December 6th 09, 11:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default French

Jofirey wrote:

"Lesley" wrote in message
On Dec 4, 9:09 am, Cheryl wrote:

We ate lotsa bologna sandwiches growing up, and just the sight of
it
now
evokes an inner gag.....

Okay just what is bologna? I've seen it mentioned and sounds like
it's some sort of salami, which over here is usually found in deli's
with a deli price tag attached

************

Same stuff we call Baloney. And you don't get to blame just the
Americans for this one. I know for a fact its just a popular in
Canada. Especially Newfoundland where my dad grew up.

Its one of several sliced lunch meats that are sold packaged for
sandwiches. Each slice fits pretty well on a slice of bread.
Charlie and I both like Olive Loaf or Pickle and Pepper loaf too.
You don't qualify as a true baloney fan until you've eaten if fried.

When first manufactured, it looks like a very fat sausage or salami,
about 4 inches in diameter. A deli will get it in that form, and slice
off individual slices when it is ordered by a customer. The stuff you
buy in the store already sliced is probably not as good quality, but
is essentially the same thing, but pre-sliced.

Joyce

--
Excuse for Not Doing One's Homework:
My pit bull, here, ate it.
Old December 7th 09, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

Lesley wrote:
On Dec 4, 9:09 am, Cheryl wrote:

We ate lotsa bologna sandwiches growing up, and just the sight of it
now
evokes an inner gag.....

Okay just what is bologna? I've seen it mentioned and sounds like
it's some sort of salami, which over here is usually found in deli's
with a deli price tag attached

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

I think something's wrong with the attributions. I did eat a lot of
bologna as a child, but it doesn't make me gag now. Not that I eat it
any more; there's so much tastier stuff around.

It's a sausage-like substance of a kind of smooth bland consistency and
smooth bland taste, sold in waxy casings, or sliced, and eated as is or
fried. Very cheap and filling, and probably named after something much
more tasty from back in some Old Country or other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bologna_sausage

--
Cheryl
Old December 7th 09, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

hopitus wrote:
On Dec 6, 11:22 am, Lesley wrote::
We ate lotsa bologna sandwiches growing up, and just the sight of it
now
evokes an inner gag.....

Okay just what is bologna? I've seen it mentioned and sounds like
it's some sort of salami, which over here is usually found in deli's
with a deli price tag attached
Lesley
Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Bologna is a popular sandwich "meat" that low income people here rely
on to feed their kids quickly and satisfyingly.
It does not have as much flavor as salami, and no little peppercorns
like
some salami does here. It is a "processed" meat product made from
body parts of animals you would turn your nose up at or worse if you
had them placed before you alone and not hidden in a harmless-looking
cheap sandwich sliced meat product. Loaded with preservatives, bad
fat, cholesterol....all the better to clog your arteries. Sadly, this
meat
product as well as its sister processed product, "hot dogs", is
heavily
and frequently marketed on tv here, with its own little ditty sung by
adorable small children. I do eat hot dogs and love them, but am a
total
snob about them and will only eat all beef, kosher ones, marketed by
a totally different conglomerate food outfit, whose marketing is aimed
strictly to adults.

Believe me, during the great depression we were thrilled with baloney
sandwiches. As a kid, we called it ham baloney -- and that is no
baloney. MLB
Old December 7th 09, 01:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

MLB wrote:

Believe me, during the great depression we were thrilled with baloney
sandwiches. As a kid, we called it ham baloney -- and that is no
baloney. MLB

We used to call it 'Newfie Steak' - it was a lot more common at meals
than real steak!

--
Cheryl
Old December 7th 09, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Cheryl wrote:
It's a sausage-like substance of a kind of smooth bland consistency and
smooth bland taste, sold in waxy casings, or sliced, and eated as is or
fried. Very cheap and filling, and probably named after something much
more tasty from back in some Old Country or other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bologna_sausage

You'd think Bologna referred to Bologne or Bologna, but I doubt that
either France or Italy would admit to producing anything like
bologna/boloney. We have something similar that's called
'lauantaimakkara' in Finnish. That means 'Saturday sausage'. :P I did
eat it as a child, but I haven't touched it since my teens.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old December 7th 09, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla `=^..^=`

"Matthew"

"Jofirey"
"Lesley" On Dec 4, 9:09 am, Cheryl

there's nothing like crusty homemade white bread, warm from the oven
and slathered with butter.

When I was a kid there was a bakery about half a mile away that baked
on the premises and on a Saturday one of us would be sent down there
to get a "seeded crusty bloomer" and if you got there early enough it
would be warm from the oven and you'd dash home before it got cool and
mum would reward whoever had run the errand with the "Topper"(The
first slice with the crust all over it- don't know the proper name for
it) heavily buttered....Nectar!

Lesley

Here that would be the heel of the loaf of bread. Usually left until
last on sliced bread as it keeps the rest fresh. Or just plain left.

But lest anyone think Americans aren't familiar with good bread or don't
appreciate it. I'm not the only one who's grandmother baked bread nearly
every day of her adult life. She was an amazing cook. Lived on top of a
mountain and usually didn't have access to fresh milk. I can still make
the worlds best apple pie, though I've never been able to put one in the
oven from scratch in less then twenty minutes like she did.

When we were first married Charlie worked in the Pentagon. They have a
bakery on the premises, as well as a lot of other shops you would expect
in a city its size. They make a different rye bread every day of the
week. Wonderful, unsliced if that was what you preferred, rye bread. It
didn't matter that it took me a while to get the hang of cooking, we
could have lived off that alone.

Jo

It is not that we are not familiar with it but typical American if it is
not convenient or last a long time no one wants it. I am guilty myself I
can't find any bakery or recipe my self that taste like Nature own honey
wheat bread

OMG, you guys are making me drool. My grandmother, who was in her 60's,
used to run a home for 15 little old ladies and made her bread daily from
scratch and to me there are 2 scents I just LOVE, the scent of bread baking
and the smell of coffee roasting. Now, I'm hungry, and need some coffee.
LOL
Kyla
with a cat under a towel thrown over the chair.

Old December 9th 09, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Default purrs for kyla

Christina Websell wrote:
"moonglow minnow" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

Personally, I like to be corrected by someone who knows better if I get
something wrong - saves me looking silly.

You do? I seem to recall a lot of resistance to being corrected on the
issue of caloric intake relative to weight gain or loss, by quite a few
people who did know better.

Who knew better? The fact is if you eat too many calories than you use, you
will put on weight, if you eat less than you use, you will lose weight.
You cannot argue with that.

Tweed

All right, you still have my nomination for Twit of the month for
November. Shall we try to two months in a row?

I understood what Matthew was trying to say.

Pam S.
Old December 9th 09, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Christina Websell wrote:
"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...
"Christina Websell"

snipped

You know I had response ready for you but it is not worth me to go off
when it won't sink in

And I know why.

Because you come across as a stupid bigot?

Ping Kyla Granby Cat community 9 September 26th 08 01:28 PM
Ping Kyla Granby Cat anecdotes 8 September 2nd 08 10:31 PM
Ping Kyla Granby Cat community 7 August 23rd 08 07:45 PM
Kyla John Ross Mc Master Cat community 1 August 22nd 08 07:05 PM
Kyla Granby Cat anecdotes 4 February 5th 08 12:08 AM