Ping Cybercat - Boo Update?

Old July 11th 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Ping Cybercat - Boo Update?

Has anybody here heard from Nancy regarding "Boo"? I'm starting to get
really, really worried. I used to have her email, but that got lost when I
changed hard drives.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 11th 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Jul 11, 12:08*pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
Has anybody here heard from Nancy regarding "Boo"? *I'm starting to get
really, really worried. *I used to have her email, but that got lost when I
changed hard drives.

Hugs,

CatNipped

I was hoping for an update too. Perhaps she's busy and will post one
tonight?
Old July 11th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Update 2-- Ping Cybercat - Boo Update?

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Has anybody here heard from Nancy regarding "Boo"? I'm starting to get
really, really worried. I used to have her email, but that got lost when
I changed hard drives.

She is doing well considering, thanks so much for your concern, Rene too.
(Our cable was out beginning right after I last sent a post.)

I had dropped her off at about 8:30 Thursday, and had written you las then.
At 10:30 the vet called me, and told me that Boo had come through it just
fine "and in fact she is sitting up looking at me right now!" We were all
concerned because she has arhythmia and has never been under anesthesia
before.

Dr. Lewis also said that it was indeed a malignant tumor and that it worried
her because it had really adhered to muscle wall. (It is apparently not in
her breast, which is a good thing, I guess glands spread it easily?) Because
of this she said that she was "aggressive with the surgery" and took as much
of the surrounding area and muscle that she could. She said we had caught
this aggressive tumor very early, that it was only the size of "a garden
pea." She then said, " I don't know if you want to send the tissue off for a
detailed biopsy so we know exactly what we are dealing with ..." and I said,
"yes, I do. Once we know that for sure, then you can suggest the best
followup treatment, right?" And she said, "Yes."

I told her then what I posted here yesterday--that we don't want her to
suffer and we will not prolong her life just to keep her with us, but we
want to give her the best chance possible at recovery. And that I would
trust her to guide us in that matter. She is a great vet. She said I could
come get our baby between 4 and 6.

Once there, I spoke to another doctor who told me that Boo was being good
and not bothering her incision, which was unbandaged because it is too hard
a spot to bandage, but that we should keep a good eye on it and bring her
back in if any stitches appear broken, so they can be restitched and we can
put a collar on her to prevent her bothering as it heals. She said they gave
her a pain shot that should be all she needs but if I see her acting like
she feels bad, to call and they will prescribe something or bring her in for
a shot. She also said they had given her a new antibiotic with a name like
"Celebra" or somesuch, that apparently works for two weeks, so no extra
pills. She said to give her her regular heart medicine but not her thyroid
until the next day. In ten days we bring her back to have her stitches out.
The detailed biopsy results will take a week.

When she got home she chowed down immediately! And she got lots of goodies.
It is a small, very neat incision, very closely and meticulously stitched.
The care these people take is so obvious.

Today she seems just fine.

In my mind it seems unlikely that the cancer will return, but I know from
experience that these particularly virulent, fast-growing forms are
insidious and deadly.

It is very hard to imagine living without her. Maybe we will have her for a
while longer. The girl with the boxer said he lived a whole year with no
treatment.

Thanks again to everyone for their concern and for listening. I don't sound
terrified but this is the way *I* sound when I am terrified.

When those we love depend upon us, blathering around in a panic is not
helpful. My husband is very tenderhearted and really loves this cat.

All prayers and purrs and good thoughts are so appreciated, Dr. Lewis might
have opened her up and found her full of this stuff, you know? So I think
they really help.

Thank you.

Old July 11th 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"cybercat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Has anybody here heard from Nancy regarding "Boo"? I'm starting to get
really, really worried. I used to have her email, but that got lost when
I changed hard drives.

She is doing well considering, thanks so much for your concern, Rene too.
(Our cable was out beginning right after I last sent a post.)

Oh, thank Bast! I was really afraid you weren't posting because you were
greiving!

I had dropped her off at about 8:30 Thursday, and had written you las
then. At 10:30 the vet called me, and told me that Boo had come through it
just fine "and in fact she is sitting up looking at me right now!" We were
all concerned because she has arhythmia and has never been under
anesthesia before.

Dr. Lewis also said that it was indeed a malignant tumor and that it
worried her because it had really adhered to muscle wall. (It is
apparently not in her breast, which is a good thing, I guess glands spread
it easily?)

Yep, any malignancies in glands are worse and spread quickly through the
adrenal system in the body - which is why breast cancer can be so deadly.
But even in this area they are making huge strides in understanding and
combating this horrible killer! It really is a good sign that it was 1)
caught early and 2) in a muscle instead of a gland. YAY!

[...]

Yep, me too. I usually get hysterical *after* I've dealt with whatever it
is I must deal with (having children (and cats) helps teach you how to do
that).

When those we love depend upon us, blathering around in a panic is not
helpful. My husband is very tenderhearted and really loves this cat.

All prayers and purrs and good thoughts are so appreciated, Dr. Lewis
might have opened her up and found her full of this stuff, you know? So I
think they really help.

Thank you.

I'm so relieved that she did so well. Of course our prayers, well-wishes
and purrs will be with your darling girl, and you, for as long as you both
need them.

Hang in there, C, it sounds like she really has a fighting chance for a lot
of quality time still.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 11th 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Glad the surgery went well and Boo is doing okay. I think you are taking
the right approach here. Please keep us posted on how Boo is doing.

S.
---

Old July 11th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"CatNipped" wrote

Yep, any malignancies in glands are worse and spread quickly through the
adrenal system in the body - which is why breast cancer can be so deadly.
But even in this area they are making huge strides in understanding and
combating this horrible killer! It really is a good sign that it was 1)
caught early and 2) in a muscle instead of a gland. YAY!

Thanks so much for these comments, Lori. You're so smart and have been
through so much with your kitties, your input means alot.

[...]
Yep, me too. I usually get hysterical *after* I've dealt with whatever it
is I must deal with (having children (and cats) helps teach you how to do
that).

It's like, it is so important, you have to get control and be at your best,
so
you just suck up your fear and deal. It isn't that you don't care, or that
you
are not upset. I did not cry in front of Boo, or my husband. I cried after
I dropped her off, and before I posted to you guys, boo hooed all the way
home from the vet's. Later, when I tried to nap (I had not slept all night
Wednesday) I felt like I was having a heart attack or the beginnings of
a panic attack. I think things are harder on us as we get older, you know?

I'm so relieved that she did so well. Of course our prayers, well-wishes
and purrs will be with your darling girl, and you, for as long as you both
need them.

Hang in there, C, it sounds like she really has a fighting chance for a
lot of quality time still.

Thanks again, it's a big comfort to be able to come here and talk to you
guys.

I trust many of you to help me make the right decisions. Hope Phil chimes
in. I will ping him if he doesn't soon. I know he is busy.

Old July 11th 08, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
news
Glad the surgery went well and Boo is doing okay. I think you are taking
the right approach here. Please keep us posted on how Boo is doing.

Thank you, Sue.

Old July 12th 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"cybercat" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote

Yep, any malignancies in glands are worse and spread quickly through the
adrenal system in the body - which is why breast cancer can be so deadly.
But even in this area they are making huge strides in understanding and
combating this horrible killer! It really is a good sign that it was 1)
caught early and 2) in a muscle instead of a gland. YAY!

Thanks so much for these comments, Lori. You're so smart

Pfffttt! I'm just good at googling! ;

and have been
through so much with your kitties, your input means alot.

Yeah, I did go through a lot with Bandit the last two years of her life -
first the horrible burns she suffered at the vet's office during a simple
teeth cleaning because a stupid tech left a rice heating bag in the
microwave too long (and my guilt at not finding them until they were
necrotic). Then learning right after that that she had an inoperable brain
tumor that had caused her to be blind the last two years of her life before
it finally killed her. Well, it was both horribly hard but uplifting at the
same time, if you can imagine that.

*I* was a wreck, but to watch how she calmly dealt with horrible pain and
then losing her sight, while displaying the courage to keep going day after
day until she was too tired to go any longer (and *that* guilt I felt that I
might have tried to keep her with me for too long) - well, it was inspiring
to see such a *grand* spirit in a (according to some people) "lowly" animal.
And it was humbling!

[...]
Yep, me too. I usually get hysterical *after* I've dealt with whatever
it is I must deal with (having children (and cats) helps teach you how to
do that).

It's like, it is so important, you have to get control and be at your
best, so
you just suck up your fear and deal. It isn't that you don't care, or that
you
are not upset. I did not cry in front of Boo, or my husband. I cried after
I dropped her off, and before I posted to you guys, boo hooed all the way
home from the vet's.

I totally understand. It's amazing how they become like our children and we
have the same responses to them, even seeing them as furry little children.
But that's what makes it so terrible for us when they become ill or injured.
Oh well, nobody ever said love was easy and we learn to cherish the good
while paying the price for love with our pain.

Later, when I tried to nap (I had not slept all night
Wednesday) I felt like I was having a heart attack or the beginnings of
a panic attack. I think things are harder on us as we get older, you know?

Yeah, getting old sucks, but it's better than the alternative! ;

I'm so relieved that she did so well. Of course our prayers,
well-wishes and purrs will be with your darling girl, and you, for as
long as you both need them.

Hang in there, C, it sounds like she really has a fighting chance for a
lot of quality time still.

Thanks again, it's a big comfort to be able to come here and talk to you
guys.

I know. You've been a comfort to me through all the times I've come here
worried to death about one of mine, so it's nice to be able to return the
favor.

I trust many of you to help me make the right decisions. Hope Phil chimes
in. I will ping him if he doesn't soon. I know he is busy.

Yeah, Phil *RAWKS*! I've never known anybody, not even most vets, who know
more about cats - and *certainly* nobody who cares about them more.

Hang in there, sweetie, we'll all pulling for you and Boo.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 12th 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Janet

My best to you and yours.

It's terribly hard. We lost our beloved golden to cancer last year. There
were various complications that prevented it from being diagnosed and
treated early, so he never had a chance. Then we had to deal with the fact
that his condition declined rapidly immediately and he died shortly after we
started feeding him canned food for the first time, in order to coax him to
eat. Shortly thereafter, the Chinese food scandal broke. Of course, we had
thrown out any cans we used, so we'll never know if it killed him or not.

In any case, having a good vet and a really caring staff helps immeasurably.
I hope she beats it.

Old July 12th 08, 05:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Fri 11 Jul 2008 05:33:22p, cybercat wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

All prayers and purrs and good thoughts are so appreciated, Dr.
Lewis might have opened her up and found her full of this stuff,
you know? So I think they really help.

I'm glad she came home and ate and her prognosis is good. You will
know what to do. I know from your posts about Gnarley (SP?) that you
learned from her, and we all do the first time we have a sick old
cat. Boo is in good hands.

Thank you, Cheryl. It's hard to believe that was almost 7 years ago.