Siamese biter

Old July 8th 03, 08:05 PM
Barb 1

I would definitely go with a harness and leash. A harness is much easier on
the cat. I always slip one through the collar just in case they back out of
the harness.

My little kitten was all teeth and nails when I got her and she can also be
affectionate. I do what comes naturally when she hurts me which is to yell
"ouch!" and put her on the floor. I think she is becoming more gentle, now.

Barb

Old July 8th 03, 10:57 PM
rosemary catherwood

Hi,
we trained one of our cats who used to bite, a little too hard, by pretending
to cry(or say"ouch..ouch..in a crying manner)and she would immediately stop,and
even stare into our eyes,as if to say"oh..does that hurt?",and now if she
bites,it's very gentle,she just grasps the skin,very gently.
We are campers,and have trained our 2 cats to leashes.We started off by ONLY
letting them go outside IF they had the leashes on.Now,when I start to put the
leashes on,they purr !!!
We actually had a 17 year old Siamese,who, when he was 16 developed terminal
kidney disease,and because we wanted to know where he was ,when he was
outdoors,we trained him to the leash...in the last year of his life!!! He
didn't mind it at all...he seemed to realize that if he wanted to wander,he had
to have someone with him,always.
Rosemary

Jade wrote:

Hi,

My brothers and sister and I got a Siamese kitten for our mother for
Christmas. "Molly" is now about eight months old, and has been a great pet
for my parents except for one thing - she bites (in play, and perhaps
sometimes affectionately), and she bites HARD. It's especially hard on my
mother, who takes a medication for arthritis that makes her skin tear
easily, and I was appalled by the state of her arms when I visited in May,
all from this little cat's biting habit!

Often Molly will begin biting while cuddling with the folks. My parents
have been attempting to train her out of it by simply putting her down as
soon as she begins, to show her that biting won't get her attention, but it
hasn't really been making any difference so far as they can tell. Any
suggestions?

Another question - my parents love spending summer evenings on the porch in
the summer, and would like to have Molly with them, but don't want her
leaving the porch (she's an indoor cat). How does one go about getting a
cat accustomed to a leash? She already wears a safety collar.

Thanks,
Jenn

Old July 9th 03, 08:21 AM
moi

My cats wrestle in the bathtub.

Mine don't wrestle, but they do like to lick the shower tray - dirty soapy
water must taste so much better than the fresh clean water in their bowl!

Moi

"Laura R." wrote in message
.net...
circa Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:18:43 -0700, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Jade ) said,
Yeah...we got her after my Mom's fifteen-year-old tabby died. Mom's

retired
and was a bit bored, and this kitten has been an endless source of
entertainment - she's fallen in the bathtub,

My cats wrestle in the bathtub. It's my own little Greco-Roman forum.
;-)

Laura

Old July 9th 03, 02:08 PM
moi

;oD

Don't you just love 'em despite their nasty little habits! When you think we
give our hubbies stick for much less ;o)

Moi

"Laura R." wrote in message
.net...
circa Wed, 9 Jul 2003 07:21:18 +0000 (UTC), in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav, moi )
said,
My cats wrestle in the bathtub.

Mine don't wrestle, but they do like to lick the shower tray - dirty

soapy
water must taste so much better than the fresh clean water in their

bowl!

What do you think mine do on the wrestling breaks? ;-)

Laura

Old July 9th 03, 03:09 PM
moi

HA HA HA LOL now that's an image that will stick in my mind and I'll think
about it every time the cat does!

Moi

"Laura R." wrote in message
.net...
circa Wed, 9 Jul 2003 13:08:37 +0000 (UTC), in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav, moi )
said,
;oD

Don't you just love 'em despite their nasty little habits! When you

think we
give our hubbies stick for much less ;o)

Your husband licks the bathtub? ;-)

Laura