cat had tapeworm

Old August 2nd 05, 02:36 AM
Justin L

Default cat had tapeworm

Jake has recently gotten a bad case of diarrhea.
I brought him in to the vet today, and they gave him a shot for
Tapeworm. (I noticed one on his fur, and looked it up on the net)
He tested negative for everything else.
He is very sleepy tonight, and he still has the diarrhea.
Any ideas how long this will last?
Anything else I should do?
The vet seemed rushed, and was not very helpful at all (3rd one I have
tried so far)

Thanks in advance
Old August 2nd 05, 02:49 AM
Cheryl

On Mon 01 Aug 2005 09:36:27p, Justin L wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

Jake has recently gotten a bad case of diarrhea.
I brought him in to the vet today, and they gave him a shot for
Tapeworm. (I noticed one on his fur, and looked it up on the
net) He tested negative for everything else.
He is very sleepy tonight, and he still has the diarrhea.
Any ideas how long this will last?
Anything else I should do?
The vet seemed rushed, and was not very helpful at all (3rd one
I have tried so far)

Thanks in advance

What was the shot? I've only given tablets for deworming -
droncit, drontal (the most common) and never had a cat experience
any type of lethargy. How did the vet determine what med to give?
Based on your research on the net? Did the vet see what was on
Jake's fur (ie, did you save it and show them). Did they do a fecal
float?

As for the diarrhea, it can take a little bit of time for it to go
away even if the source was discovered. The GI tract has to get
back to normal. Sometimes that means a 24 hour fast, or at the
least, a bland diet. Something homemade, or a special diet
formulated for GI problems. Please make sure he's drinking plenty
of water.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old August 2nd 05, 03:51 AM
Karen

in article , Justin L at
wrote on 8/1/05 9:01 PM:

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 20:49:59 -0500, Cheryl
wrote:

On Mon 01 Aug 2005 09:36:27p, Justin L wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

Jake has recently gotten a bad case of diarrhea.
I brought him in to the vet today, and they gave him a shot for
Tapeworm. (I noticed one on his fur, and looked it up on the
net) He tested negative for everything else.
He is very sleepy tonight, and he still has the diarrhea.
Any ideas how long this will last?
Anything else I should do?
The vet seemed rushed, and was not very helpful at all (3rd one
I have tried so far)

Thanks in advance

What was the shot?

The vet didn't say, and the paper is hard to read, but it looks like
strongid? It just has it scribbled next to de worm

I've only given tablets for deworming -
droncit, drontal (the most common) and never had a cat experience
any type of lethargy. How did the vet determine what med to give?
Based on your research on the net?

Yes, I saw the little rice-like buggers several times. At first I
thought it had something to do with roundworm, because he had that
when I first got him.

Did the vet see what was on
Jake's fur (ie, did you save it and show them).

I described it to him. I also visited several sites that had pictures,
and they looked exactly like it. I should have saved one, but I
didn't.

Did they do a fecal
float?

Yes, he said it was fine. From what I have read, tapeworm doesn't show
up.

As for the diarrhea, it can take a little bit of time for it to go
away even if the source was discovered. The GI tract has to get
back to normal. Sometimes that means a 24 hour fast, or at the
least, a bland diet. Something homemade, or a special diet
formulated for GI problems. Please make sure he's drinking plenty
of water.

Yes, he is drinking a lot. I have a Feliway diffuser plugged in, that
could be what is making him sleepy.

He could be sleepy just from being stressed at the vet. Even if they don't
show it, trips to the vet are waring.

Old August 2nd 05, 02:23 PM
Alison

"Justin L" wrote in message
Jake has recently gotten a bad case of diarrhea.
I brought him in to the vet today, and they gave him a shot for
Tapeworm. (I noticed one on his fur, and looked it up on the net)
He tested negative for everything else.
He is very sleepy tonight, and he still has the diarrhea.
Any ideas how long this will last?
Anything else I should do?
The vet seemed rushed, and was not very helpful at all (3rd one I

have
tried so far)

I would give it 24 hours. Kim can't tolerate having a booster
and being wormed at the same time and goes a bit quiet but no diarrhea
so they are done seperately and she is ok.
Alison

Thanks in advance