Help! Tiny Tabby

Old August 24th 04, 06:50 PM
jmcquown

Default Help! Tiny Tabby

I stepped out on my patio this morning to dump the dregs of the parrot seed
for the birds and there was a tiny grey tabby sitting there. I'm no good at
guessing the age of kittens but it's smaller than Tallulah's little Hubert!
Obviously a stray, possibly abandoned by mama-cat (or mama was killed or
trapped or something). Poor little baby was extremely afraid of me. When I
tried to slowly approach, it ran into my shamefully overgrown monkey-grass
and hid. I parted the monkey grass and it was shaking like crazy at my
approach and slunk further back away. It won't let me get near it.

Here's the deal (and it breaks my heart to say so). I can't start feeding
this kitten. The apartment manager just graciously removed my monthly pet
fee for Persia because I'm unemployed, to help with my rent. No way can I
take in another. Also, I cannot afford more vet bills at this time.

I *did* think about putting food out to try to trap the kitten so I could
take him/her to a no-kill shelter. But the woman across the street & down a
ways feeds ferals. Per that other neighbor down the street (the one who
scared the crap out of me by leaning over the fence to tell me about a dead
cat), she's got 12-14 of them hanging around and does nothing else for them,
I might add. I can't afford to attract her bunch over here. I'm pretty
sure that's where this one came from since the woman doesn't attempt to have
the ones she feeds spayed or neutered.

Lastly, even if I could afford and take this sweet little darlin' in, Persia
is a one-cat cat. She freaks if she sees another one through the window. I
simply can't disrupt her life that way.

If I could figure a way to trap this little one and take it to a rescue
place to be cared for, I would. Maybe you have some suggestions that won't
attract every feral cat in the neighborhood?

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Old August 24th 04, 07:26 PM
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Here in UK there are cat charities that will lend you a trap, which does not
guarantee that you won't catch someone you don't want.
It ain't easy and you can only try your best.

How do you know Persia wouldn't like a little pal? Eventually, of course,
at first she would go ape-**** (hope I can use this phrase here) Might be
worth trying for a few weeks.
How lovely for her to have a friend, if at all possible.

Tweed

Old August 24th 04, 07:28 PM
Pat

"jmcquown" wrote in message
.. .
snip
If I could figure a way to trap this little one and take it to a rescue
place to be cared for, I would. Maybe you have some suggestions that

won't
attract every feral cat in the neighborhood?

Get out there and catch that baby somehow, bring it in your house and start
feeding it in a closed room away from Persia, and don't tell your landlord!
Then get on the phone. Aren't you in Memphis? If so, call the House of Mews,
for starters.

Old August 24th 04, 08:09 PM
jmcquown

Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
.. .
Lastly, even if I could afford and take this sweet little darlin'
in, Persia is a one-cat cat. She freaks if she sees another one
through the window. I simply can't disrupt her life that way.

If I could figure a way to trap this little one and take it to a
rescue place to be cared for, I would. Maybe you have some
suggestions that won't attract every feral cat in the neighborhood?

Jill

Here in UK there are cat charities that will lend you a trap, which
does not guarantee that you won't catch someone you don't want.
It ain't easy and you can only try your best.

I have a trap. I bought it a year or so ago when there was a cat coming
around constantly annoying Persia through the windows. Persia even crashed
through the screen on my sliding patio doors to try to get "at" this cat.
After that I invested in a baby-gate to put between the screen and the
sliding glass door.

How do you know Persia wouldn't like a little pal? Eventually, of
course, at first she would go ape-**** (hope I can use this phrase
here) Might be worth trying for a few weeks.
How lovely for her to have a friend, if at all possible.

Tweed

Persia goes ape-**** LOL just seeing another cat. Besides, I can't afford
the vet bills to make sure this little guy/gal doesn't have something that
would pass on to Persia if I got it in the house. I have only the bathroom
where I could keep the kitten until I could be sure. But having just
shelled out $900 for Persia's surgery plus special food, I just can't afford
it. And I'm pretty sure my apartment manager would be none-too-thrilled to
find I'd negotiated a lesser rent by her waiving the pet fee for Persia only
to find I took in another cat. The maintenance man reports things like that
to her. I can't step on her good graces that way.

It's a dilemma. I went out a minute ago to see if I could snap a photo of
the kitten. It's started to rain. I can't find the kitten, but it could be
well hidden as it is so afraid of me. (sigh)

Jill