Newbie questions: What kind of pet carrier?

Old June 21st 08, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
Outsider

Default Newbie questions: What kind of pet carrier?

"Upscale" wrote in
:

"Tracy101" wrote in message
However, I have discovered that some cats are totally terrified of

carriers
and are better off being simply let loose in the car.

I definitely don't agree with this. The first priority is to control
how and where you drive without undue interference from outside
sources. An unrestrained cat, no matter how terrified it is, a loose
cannon inside a car. Case in point. I remember some years ago driving
along taking my cat to the vet. He managed to get out of his carry box
and the first thing he did was to search out a place to hide. That
happened to be right underneath the brake pedal on my car. I was
coming up to an intersection with a red light at the time.
Fortunately, I don't easily panic in such situations. I reached down
and grabbed him by the tail and hauled him out of there. Sure, he
shrieked, but that was much preferable to be being crushed under a
brake pedal.

After that, I made absolutely sure when driving that he was securely
held in some type of carrier that he couldn't get out of.

Yeah, that was some of the worst advice I ever saw.

Old June 21st 08, 06:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
Ivor Jones[_2_]

In ,
Matthew typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:
: "Tracy101"
:
:
: It is not the first stupid thing she said today.
:
: In another post quote "As a person who once owned 6 cats, I can tell
: you that that's far too many.

For you, perhaps. Not that I'm criticising you, but it's far too much of a
generalisation.

: No home should have more than two at very most"

Not always true. It all depends on the person, the cats concerned and a
lot of other things.

I know plenty of people with 6+ cats and they do just fine. *I* couldn't
manage that many, by your own admission *you* couldn't, but don't assume
nobody ever can.

Ivor