The healing blankie

Old April 7th 09, 04:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default The healing blankie

I woke up last night with hypoglycemia at 2 am and had to get up and eat
something. This naturally woke up the cats. When I'd eaten, I stumbled
back to bed and tried to get back to sleep.

A moment later, I heard the sound of something dragging along the floor.
I knew immediately what it was: the vet had put one of those paper
padded sheets into the carrier with Caliban yesterday. I'd left it in
the carrier for the cats to sniff and wonder about. I was pretty sure
that, sooner or later, Miranda would decide it was not allowed to be in
the carrier.

So now, in the middle of the night, she decided to bring it to me. I
don't know what she was thinking; did she think it has healing powers
since it smelled of the vet? Did she just think I would feel better with
another blankie? I don't know, but I can't shake the feeling that she
was aware that I wasn't feeling too good and she tried to do something
about it.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old April 7th 09, 06:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karla

"Marina" wrote in message
[...]

Very intriguing thought process going on there. She sounds quite intuitive.
Karla

Old April 7th 09, 07:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

"Marina" wrote in message
[...]

That's sweet! (excuse the pun, please). Talking of sweet, instant
relief can be had from a hypo with a glucose gel. The expensive
versions are medical products, such as Glucogel (formerly
HypoStop). The cheaper versions, with exactly the same effects,
are sold as after-sports recovery products, such as Lucozade
Sport. Of course, you still need to eat something as well, but
the relief from these gels is incredibly fast (relief within
seconds!).

--
MatSav

Old April 7th 09, 12:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Suz

On Apr 7, 1:43�am, "MatSav" matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot |
pipex | dot | com wrote:
"Marina" wrote in message

[...]

MatSav- Hide quoted text -

A non diet soda works for me. I'm not diabetic, but if don't eat my
blood sugar drops and I get dizzy and nauseous.

Take care of yourself Marina.

Suz&Spicey
Old April 7th 09, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Apr 6, 11:56*pm, Marina wrote:
[...]

It does sound like nurturing behavior. If the binkie was good for
Caliban, maybe it will help Maw.

--
Will in New Haven

Old April 7th 09, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
LadyJane

On Apr 6, 11:56*pm, Marina wrote:

So now, in the middle of the night, she decided to bring it to me. I
don't know what she was thinking; did she think it has healing powers
since it smelled of the vet? Did she just think I would feel better with
another blankie? I don't know, but I can't shake the feeling that she
was aware that I wasn't feeling too good and she tried to do something
about it.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

That is just so sweet!! You have a nursey kitty there!

Jane
Old April 7th 09, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn[_2_]

Marina wrote:
[...]

Awww, she was worried about you and tried to make you feel better :-)
That is so sweet.

Ginger-lyn
Old April 7th 09, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
spot

Another item you can use when your sugar drops is Smarties candies.
They don't work as quickly as the gels but do work. I keep about 6
rolls in my purse at all times just in case I need them. Usually if I
eat 3 rolls of them right away it does the trick.

Celeste
Old April 8th 09, 04:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

MatSav wrote:

That's sweet! (excuse the pun, please). Talking of sweet, instant
relief can be had from a hypo with a glucose gel. The expensive
versions are medical products, such as Glucogel (formerly
HypoStop). The cheaper versions, with exactly the same effects,
are sold as after-sports recovery products, such as Lucozade
Sport. Of course, you still need to eat something as well, but
the relief from these gels is incredibly fast (relief within
seconds!).

Don't those sport recovery products contain caffeine? I'd rather not
have caffeine in the middle of the night. And as you point out, I'd
need to eat something anyway. It's just that point when being half-awake
and the hypo is slowing down thought processes even more and you need to
find the strenght somehow to force yourself to get up. This is why
'they' don't want diabetics to live alone.

Old April 8th 09, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 06:30:28 +0300, Marina wrote:

MatSav wrote:

That's sweet! (excuse the pun, please). Talking of sweet, instant
relief can be had from a hypo with a glucose gel. The expensive
versions are medical products, such as Glucogel (formerly HypoStop).
The cheaper versions, with exactly the same effects, are sold as
after-sports recovery products, such as Lucozade Sport. Of course, you
still need to eat something as well, but the relief from these gels is
incredibly fast (relief within seconds!).

Don't those sport recovery products contain caffeine? I'd rather not
have caffeine in the middle of the night. And as you point out, I'd
need to eat something anyway. It's just that point when being half-awake
and the hypo is slowing down thought processes even more and you need to
find the strenght somehow to force yourself to get up. This is why
'they' don't want diabetics to live alone.

In my case, I carry glucose tablets in my pocket all the time. I also
keep some on my bedside table. I used to buy the tablets that come in a
plastic tube, but found that the cap tended to come off in my pocket,
with messy results. I now use an old pill bottle, since its cap stays on
better. The glucose tablets cost more per tablet than candy, but have
faster results, since the glucose can pass from the stomach into the
blood stream without having to be digested first, unlike other sugars.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from