My cats have never been out

Old June 19th 07, 12:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
*carmen*

Default My cats have never been out

Hi there
I have two cats, 4 and 5 years old who have always lived inside in a
flat. Now we have moved to a house with garden and a forest behind and
we were so looking forwards to leave the cats to enjoy.. but I am
scared they panic or get lost or a bigger aninmal attacks them (or
them attacking a bigger animal) ... Any suggestions?
thanks
Carmen

Old June 19th 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"*carmen*" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi there
I have two cats, 4 and 5 years old who have always lived inside in a
flat. Now we have moved to a house with garden and a forest behind and
we were so looking forwards to leave the cats to enjoy.. but I am
scared they panic or get lost or a bigger aninmal attacks them (or
them attacking a bigger animal) ... Any suggestions?
thanks
Carmen

I would keep them indoors. I believe cats are safer indoors, and they will
be just as happy if you provide lots of toys, attention, and a climbing
surface (such as a cat tree). I notice that you live in the UK, so you
don't have as many predators as we have -- but there are some, and cars are
a danger everywhere (just not as many as in a city).

MaryL

Old June 19th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

My suggestion: keep them indoors. The fears you mentioned are justified.
You can walk them with a leash and a harness so they can enjoy the outdoors.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old June 19th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

*carmen* wrote:

Hi there
I have two cats, 4 and 5 years old who have always lived inside in a
flat. Now we have moved to a house with garden and a forest behind and
we were so looking forwards to leave the cats to enjoy.. but I am
scared they panic or get lost or a bigger aninmal attacks them (or
them attacking a bigger animal) ... Any suggestions?
thanks
Carmen

Can you build a fence around the garden and supervise their first few
ventures to see if they are inclined to try to escape? My guys accept
any fence or railing as a boundary but even then I don't let them out
and forget about them.

-mhd
Old June 19th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 19 Jun, 12:35, *carmen* wrote:
Hi there
I have two cats, 4 and 5 years old who have always lived inside in a
flat. Now we have moved to a house with garden and a forest behind and
we were so looking forwards to leave the cats to enjoy.. but I am
scared they panic or get lost or a bigger aninmal attacks them (or
them attacking a bigger animal) ... Any suggestions?
thanks
Carmen

ok you're inthe UK in which case ignore any paranoid ramblings form
our american cousins, they keep their cats indoors cos they have much
more of a predator problem than we have and wild animals like coyotes
and suchlike who will eat kitties.
you do nto say where in the UK you actually live? are you near a main
road? what wildlife is inthe forest behind you? which forest is it?
there is not much in terms of savage wildlife in britain which coudl
harm a cat, most outdoors cats are safe, all mine have been safe and
been allowed access to the outdoors and to be honest in one case it
was next doors pet rabbit who suffered from them being allowed out.

just erect a fhigh ence or something if you are worried, only let them
out when you are there, that is what I do as we do not have a cat flap
and no way to install one either (glass patio doors) but that is no
problem really and some cats feel that cat flaps make them feel
insecure. If you are really bothered there are soem fences where the
animal wears a collar and gets mild shock when they stray further
thyan certain points, personally not my bag but some people use them,
mostly for dogs I think.

please allow your kitties the chance to enjoy the great outdoors, it
will enrich their lives no end and cooping them up indoors is not
normal or fair onthem.

bookie

Old June 19th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patty

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 07:26:39 -0700, bookie wrote:

ok you're inthe UK in which case ignore any paranoid ramblings form
our american cousins, they keep their cats indoors cos they have much
more of a predator problem than we have and wild animals like coyotes
and suchlike who will eat kitties.

I'm in the US and I've never had a cat eaten by any "wild" animals. Never
seen a coyote in my neck of the woods either. We do have raccoons and
oppossums and rabbits too. An occasional red-tail hawk will fly over the
area, but I've never heard of him going after a cat either. He mostly
likes smaller prey that he can easily carry like field mice (which we have
plenty of). My cats have always been outdoors. I've never been paranoid
to force them to stay inside. I will admit, I did try it with Rusty when
he was little, but gave up when he was nearly a year old. He virtually
destroyed my house because he was so hyper. He was originally a "farm cat"
and was probably descended from generations of outdoor hunters. He HAS to
go outside. It's in his genes.

I live in a small, rural town of just over 1,000 people.

Patty
Old June 19th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Fred G. Mackey[_2_]

Patty wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 07:26:39 -0700, bookie wrote:

ok you're inthe UK in which case ignore any paranoid ramblings form
our american cousins, they keep their cats indoors cos they have much
more of a predator problem than we have and wild animals like coyotes
and suchlike who will eat kitties.

I'm in the US and I've never had a cat eaten by any "wild" animals. Never
seen a coyote in my neck of the woods either. We do have raccoons and
oppossums and rabbits too.

And fleas. Fleas (sometimes) carry plague which means other small furry
creatures which your cat may prey upon could also carry plague (the
bubonic kind).

Then of course there are cars and cruel kids, which I'm sure Britain has
as well. I'm not so worried about coyotes, wolves, mountain lions or
bears although I would be if I lived a bit further up in the mountains.

An occasional red-tail hawk will fly over the
area, but I've never heard of him going after a cat either.

Good point - I've seen eagles and hawks around. They're magnificent
creatures, but I prefer they prey on rodents rather than my cat. Every
spring, I see lots of baby rabbits. They're very cute, but not all of
them survive to become adults. It's a good thing too, otherwise we'd be
overrun by them.

He mostly
likes smaller prey that he can easily carry like field mice (which we have
plenty of).

Which are perfect for plague.

My cats have always been outdoors. I've never been paranoid
to force them to stay inside. I will admit, I did try it with Rusty when
he was little, but gave up when he was nearly a year old. He virtually
destroyed my house because he was so hyper.

I'd be interested in what your definition of "destroyed" is.

Old June 19th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PawsForThought

On Jun 19, 12:59 pm, "Fred G. Mackey" wrote:
Patty wrote:

My cats have always been outdoors. I've never been paranoid
to force them to stay inside. I will admit, I did try it with Rusty when
he was little, but gave up when he was nearly a year old. He virtually
destroyed my house because he was so hyper.

I'd be interested in what your definition of "destroyed" is.

I find that usually people who say their cat destroyed their house are
people who haven't trained their cats properly, or who haven't
provided appropriate scratching surfaces for the cat.