Travel query

Old October 1st 11, 01:00 AM posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,rec.sport.football.college,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.travel.europe
Peter Moylan

Default Travel query

Tater Cole wrote:
So my wife and I are in those awkward years between backpacking across
a foriegn continent and going on a managed tour for seniors. This
means we are heading to Maui for a couple of weeks in the not too
distant future. We've signed up for something called a LOU OWWW and
are planning to go on a helicopter tour of something. Should we make
advance reservations for the helicopter tour? What should we see and
do while we are there? Can we take our cats?

You could take cats to a luau, but it's more common to take pigs.

--
Peter Moylan, Newcastle, NSW, Australia. http://www.pmoylan.org
For an e-mail address, see my web page.
Old October 1st 11, 01:50 AM posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,rec.sport.football.college,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.travel.europe
Tony Lima

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 14:45:55 -0700 (PDT), Tater Cole
wrote:

So my wife and I are in those awkward years between backpacking across
a foriegn continent and going on a managed tour for seniors. This
means we are heading to Maui for a couple of weeks in the not too
distant future. We've signed up for something called a LOU OWWW and
are planning to go on a helicopter tour of something. Should we make
advance reservations for the helicopter tour? What should we see and
do while we are there? Can we take our cats?

My wife and I have travelled to Maui about ten times in the
last six years. Please e-mail me if you're interested in
serious advice. BTW, depending on your departure location,
there may well be direct flights to Maui.

Kaanapali and Wailea are places to avoid unless you meet one
of the following requirements:

1. a serious golf addiction
2. love of really nice, well-designed swimming pools (the
Westin can't be beat)
3. Your wife is 20 years younger than you and has had
significant surgical enhancements.
4. Your idea of a vacation is to hang out with the high
spenders in really luxurious surroundings.

The one exception is the Best Western Pioneer Inn in Lahaina
(http://www.pioneerinnmaui.com/). Best breakfast in town
and an incredibly low price. No guarantee about the quality
of the lodgings, however. We've never stayed there. - Tony
Tony
Old October 1st 11, 01:52 AM posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,rec.sport.football.college,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.travel.europe
Tony Lima

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 14:45:55 -0700 (PDT), Tater Cole
wrote:

Can we take our cats?

For decades Hawaii has had some of the most stringent animal
quarantine laws in the world. They're trying to keep rabies
out of the islands. My advice is to check with the Hawaii
Tour and Convention Bureau and follow their advice
carefully.

Short answer: almost certainly not unless you want them to
be kept in jail at the airport with limited visiting
privileges for you. - Tony
Old October 1st 11, 01:58 AM posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,rec.sport.football.college,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.travel.europe
R H Draney

Tater Cole filted:

So my wife and I are in those awkward years between backpacking across
a foriegn continent and going on a managed tour for seniors. This
means we are heading to Maui for a couple of weeks in the not too
distant future. We've signed up for something called a LOU OWWW and
are planning to go on a helicopter tour of something. Should we make
advance reservations for the helicopter tour? What should we see and
do while we are there? Can we take our cats?

Only if they are under three fluid ounces and fit into a zip-lock plastic
bag....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.
Old October 1st 11, 02:11 AM posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,rec.sport.football.college,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.travel.europe
Higgs Boson

On Sep 30, 4:28*pm, Antonio Veranos wrote:
[Higgs Boson, ]
[Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:30:42 -0700 (PDT)]

: As a certified cat owner (Hah! *Who owns whom??!!) *I beg you not to
: subject the "kids" to the discomforts and rigors of travel. *Put them

The poster to whom you're responding is one of those disgusting pit bull
owners who has bragged in the past about one of his animals successfully
chasing down and brutally killing a cat. *In other words, he's trolling..

--
Antonio Veranos

insert witty comment here

Ow! I had no clue. Me, the eternal innocent...

HB
Old October 1st 11, 02:11 AM posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,rec.sport.football.college,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.travel.europe
Oren

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 17:52:16 -0700, Tony Lima
wrote:

For decades Hawaii has had some of the most stringent animal
quarantine laws in the world. They're trying to keep rabies
out of the islands.

And frogs.

"The coqui frog, Eleutherodactylus coqui Thomas (Anura:
Leptodactylidae), was accidentally introduced into Hawai'i from Puerto
Rico in about 1988. Aside from being a major noise nuisance, the frogs
pose a threat to Hawai'i’s island ecosystem. Coqui frogs have a
voracious appetite that puts Hawai'i’s unique insects and spiders at
risk. They can also compete with endemic birds and other native fauna
that rely on insects for food."

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/coqui/background.asp

When the locals can't sleep at night they go out with flashlights to
capture and kill them.

The Honolulu airport has a "last chance" contraband barrel. Walk past
it and risk going to jail, almost forever...
Old October 1st 11, 02:46 AM posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,rec.sport.football.college,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.travel.europe
Stormin Mormon[_2_]

I'm with you, they should leave the cats home. But, please
help me figure this out. What country is Maui in? I thought
it's in the same country that gave us B. Hussein Obama?
Supposedly? You know. Barry Sotero.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Higgs Boson"
wrote in message

Trust me, you will have a much better time if you don't have
to worry
about the cats plus all the bureaucratic stuff others have
mentioned
foreign travel.

HB

Old October 1st 11, 02:47 AM posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,rec.sport.football.college,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.travel.europe
Stormin Mormon[_2_]

Ah, but cats taste like chicken. And you won't get killed by
Muslims.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Peter Moylan" wrote in
message

Old October 1st 11, 02:56 AM posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair,rec.sport.football.college,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.travel.europe
Antonio Veranos

[Mercellus Bohren, ]
[Fri, 30 Sep 2011 17:21:19 -0700 (PDT)]

:
: The poster to whom you're responding is one of those disgusting pit bull
: owners who has bragged in the past about one of his animals successfully
: chasing down and brutally killing a cat. In other words, he's trolling.

: What part of FERAL do you not understand dip****?

I understand it just fine. Your dumbass dog didn't, nor did you when
you posted your Proud Papa story about your nasty creature killing one.

: If stupid cat owners would get their animals spayed and neutered
: and/or keep them in the house all the time, there wouldn't be 15 to 20
: FERAL cats in my neighborhood.

Suuuuure, there are. Even if there are, when one of these cats charges
down an adult human and kills them for no apparent reason, let me know.

: When a FERAL cat gets in the yard with a dog, bad things occasionally
: happen. At least I don't go around bragging that I would personally
: kill someone's animals, like you have in the past.

There wasn't any bragging involved. You can't be bothered to have even
the slightest sense of personal responsibility with regard to the
behavior of your dogs, therefore it's left to others to substitute their
maturity for yours (currently absent). At the time, I lived in an area
which had many small children and multiple pit bulls. Any pit bull
running loose through said neighborhood would die. Two did during my
time in that neighborhood, one shot by a neighbor, one by the Sheriff.

Do you not remember (or are you hoping that others forget) that when
discussing a pit bull attack on a dog in its own yard, you actually
tried to rationalize it away by asking what the targeted dog had done to
deserve being attacked, as if that was at all relevant? Such laughable,
childish, escapist nonsense. You are a complete nitwit with regard to
animals, and as I have written in the past, my only real hope for you is
that your stupidity harms no one else, as you can't be trusted to think.

: But, you are absolutely correct, I was trolling a little

Yes, I knew that. The cats group you were passively attacking didn't.

: however I am looking for good information about a future trip to Maui.

Take Buster and Furby with you so that you can pitch them into Haleakala
head-first, and the world will be less two pits. If you yourself go in
after them, then it will be less one fool.. but I wouldn't suggest that.

--
Antonio Veranos

insert witty comment here