6-MONTH-OLD KITTEN EATING WEIGHT CONTROL FOOD FOR ADULT CAT

Old March 12th 10, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
JGreenfield

Default 6-MONTH-OLD KITTEN EATING WEIGHT CONTROL FOOD FOR ADULT CAT

Good morning. I was wondering...I have a kitten that's 6 months old
and a 10 year old cat. The older cat has been eating the higher
calorie food for the kitten. Our local vet said it's o.k. to give
both cats the same food..the one that the older cat eats..Iams weight/
hairball control...the cat is small and always seems hungry..am I
making a mistake in not feeding kitten food to her until she's 1 year
old?..or can I just keep giving her larger amounts of the "diet"
food. I'm suspecting I may be depriving the kitten of the fat and
other nutrients she needs for proper growth. Any and all help/
suggestions are greatly appreciated..Joe (Danbury, CT)
Old March 12th 10, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"JGreenfield" wrote in message
Good morning. I was wondering...I have a kitten that's 6 months old
and a 10 year old cat. The older cat has been eating the higher
calorie food for the kitten. Our local vet said it's o.k. to give
both cats the same food..the one that the older cat eats..Iams weight/
hairball control...the cat is small and always seems hungry..am I
making a mistake in not feeding kitten food to her until she's 1 year
old?..or can I just keep giving her larger amounts of the "diet"
food. I'm suspecting I may be depriving the kitten of the fat and
other nutrients she needs for proper growth. Any and all help/
suggestions are greatly appreciated..Joe (Danbury, CT)

She's a baby, she doesn't know what she needs. Get rid of the diet food, my
cat got obese being freefed that very food. If you want to feed them the
best food, feed them canned food, not dry food.

Old March 16th 10, 02:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Mar 12, 12:32*pm, JGreenfield wrote:
Good morning. *I was wondering...I have a kitten that's 6 months old
and a 10 year old cat. *The older cat has been eating the higher
calorie food for the kitten. *Our local vet said it's o.k. to give
both cats the same food..the one that the older cat eats..Iams weight/
hairball control...the cat is small and always seems hungry..am I
making a mistake in not feeding kitten food to her until she's 1 year
old?..or can I just keep giving her larger amounts of the "diet"
food. *I'm suspecting I may be depriving the kitten of the fat and
other nutrients she needs for proper growth. *Any and all help/
suggestions are greatly appreciated..Joe (Danbury, CT)

Hello,

Like cybercat suggested, your older cat will not lose weight with
"diet" dry food (I've been there). He needs grain-free canned food,
fed twice per day about 12 hours apart. Here's the weight-loss site of
my cat: http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/

Your kitten should not be eating diet food. She is growing and needs
adequate nutrition. She would do well with canned too. At her age, you
could still feed her three meals per day, eventually paring back to
two meals per day in a few months' time.

You may need to feed the cats separately to make sure they eat only
their portions. I have to do this with our cats. One gets shut in a
spare room for about 30 minutes. They soon get used to the routine.

Email me with any other questions,
Rene
Old March 16th 10, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Rene S." wrote
You may need to feed the cats separately to make sure they eat only
their portions. I have to do this with our cats. One gets shut in a
spare room for about 30 minutes. They soon get used to the routine.

This really is the only answer, esp. when one cat is indifferent to food and
the other a chow hound. The kitten's newest name is Hoover.

Old March 16th 10, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
JGreenfield

On Mar 12, 1:32*pm, JGreenfield wrote:
Good morning. *I was wondering...I have a kitten that's 6 months old
and a 10 year old cat. *The older cat has been eating the higher
calorie food for the kitten. *Our local vet said it's o.k. to give
both cats the same food..the one that the older cat eats..Iams weight/
hairball control...the cat is small and always seems hungry..am I
making a mistake in not feeding kitten food to her until she's 1 year
old?..or can I just keep giving her larger amounts of the "diet"
food. *I'm suspecting I may be depriving the kitten of the fat and
other nutrients she needs for proper growth. *Any and all help/
suggestions are greatly appreciated..Joe (Danbury, CT)

Thank you to all for your suggestions..it's greatly appreciated...have
a great day!