Lilly - the one with the velvet fur died yesterday.

Old June 10th 08, 01:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bettina

Default Lilly - the one with the velvet fur died yesterday.

I took her to be neutered, all went well, got home, Lilly still
asleep.
Put her in a cool room (it is about 31 degree celsius here for weeks),
so she could wake up undisturbed and I looked for her every half an
hour
to change her position to the other side. She seemed very exhausted
and deep in sleep.
But after 2 hours she moved a bit, so I thought all is well she will
come back soon.
Then, at my next check on her she didn`t breathe anymore. I am again
devastated.
Must have been too much for her circular system. Those little ones
were traumatized when they`d been packed in a cardboard box and put in
the front of my house. It was tremendously hard to catch them (Leo,
Tommy and Lilly)when they had to go to the vet. Theyhyperventilated to
the point they spit foam. Tommy did well after the spaying bit Lilly
obvioulsly had spent too much energy into her anxiousness before.
Sigh.

All the other cats I have had spayed before woke up well and are well.

With the 4 little ones who came mid December last year something is
going wrong.
Molly was hit by a car in February. Leo died 5 weeks before of
pneumonia, Lilly
died yesterday after spaying. And Molly, who was spayed 2 1/2 weeks
before behaves
strange since two days - not being able to jump on the bed, yesterday
she lay the whole night and day under my bed which is not normal for
her and when I tried to approach her she growled at me and
crept 10 inch away. This night she`s left the place under my bed and
has vanished.
I can only hope she makes it - whatever it is. Sometimes, I learned,
one just can`t do anything other than wait. That`s the hardest one.
Imagining little Tommy in a place somewhere in the garden, shed or
nature trying to keep up with something inside which I don`t know what
it might be.

I feel so guilty to have set Lilly under such a strain. But she had to
be spayed. Couldn`t let her run loose unspayed anymore. I feel guilty
and I have the picture before my eyes of her, again traumatized
getting the injection of the anastesia. It was a horrible day
yesterday. And today is not better.

I was so proud to finally have managed to catch her and bring her in
for spaying - and now she`s dead. She could have had such a wonderful
life after that one Vet visit. I am crying the whole day now.

Bettina
Old June 10th 08, 01:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jun 10, 7:07*am, Bettina wrote:
[...]

(((((((Bettina)))))))))
I'm so sorry. Don't beat yourself up. It doesn't happen often, but
sometimes
they just don't make it out of anesthesia. We lost a dog that way
once.
It's very rare, but I have been afraid for pets sent for surgery ever
since.
You did what you thought was best, and it's probably the same thing
anyone would have done. Especially when we don't know the origin of
the cat. She probably had something wrong that caused complications.
Again, I am so sorry for your heartbreak.
Sherryh
Old June 10th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bettina

On 10 Jun., 14:17, Sherry wrote:
[...]

Sherryh- Zitierten Text ausblenden -

- Zitierten Text anzeigen -

Thank you so so much, Sherry. I need good words at the moment.
There`s one sentence circling my mind - "If I wouldn`t have got her to
the vet she would live today.".
I know that things happen. But there must be an end to that here now.

I just was searching the grounds for Tommy - all hidden, coool
corners.
Couldn`t find her. And then on my way back to the house there she was
inmidst of high gras lieing.
She looked at me and arose and wandered away from me. I could think
she`s afraid I would take her to the vet. She must have visited Lilly.
Maybe she thinks she`s next. sigh
But - she walks, she`s outside, so at least if there is soemthing
wrong with her it can`t be that serious.
One releif. Hope she will ever speak again to me.

Thanks again.

Bettina
Old June 10th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

Oh, Bettina, I am so sorry! That is awful.

But please, don't beat yourself up over this. You were doing what was best
for Lilly - you had no way to know she would have an adverse reaction
like that. Complications from spay surgery is pretty rare, and taking her
in to be spayed was the most responsible thing you could have done.

We're sending our purrs to you, and that Lilly's journey to the Rainbow
Bridge will be a peaceful one.

Dan

Old June 10th 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Bettina wrote:

I was so proud to finally have managed to catch her and bring her in
for spaying - and now she`s dead. She could have had such a wonderful
life after that one Vet visit. I am crying the whole day now.

I'm so sorry, Bettina. What a sad time you have had lately.

Old June 10th 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Bettina" wrote in message

{{{{{Bettina}}}}}

You did your best for a cat in very difficult circumstances and it isn't
your fault if Bast decided that she wanted Lily home sooner than you did.
I'll never forget Hale Bop, a cat that went in similar circumstances that
Lily did. We all felt guilty as we'd been nagging her human to get the
little guy taken care of so that he wouldn't be fathering any more kits. I
don't think his meowmy ever forgave herself or us.

Pam S.

Old June 10th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Default A candle for Lilly

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/...l=eng&gi=Lilly

Old June 10th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Jun 10, 8:07*am, Bettina wrote:
[...]

Bettina, you are doing your best by those cats and it is as good as
anyone could do. The Bridge is going to claim a few cats after spaying
every year. It isn't at all common but it happens, no matter how well
the kitten is cared for.

She will no longer know pain or fear or even hunger, except maybe the
tiny bit of hunger that makes the next meal so satisfying. She will
not be anxious or unhappy. You may well see her again and she will
express her gratitude that you loved her and cared for her.

--
Will in New Haven
"Reach out yoor paw if your bowl iz empty,
Old June 10th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Bettina" wrote in message
[...]

I'm so sorry. You can only do what you can do. Some cats just cannot
handle anesthesia. For that matter some humans can't either. Its very
rare, but it does happen.

And sometimes they are so stressed from what life has dealt to them before
we get them that they never really recover and get strong. That's how we
ended up with Maggie. A free soul with terrible balance problems and a love
of walking fences.

You are doing a wonderful thing, helping these kittens. It just doesn't
feel like it right now. But that is part of why it is such a wonderful
thing, because you know going in how hard it can be and you take the risk to
your heart and do it anyway.

Bright blessings from Bast. Also from Jake and Molly.

Especially Molly. She is only with us because someone like you cared for
her.

Jo

Old June 10th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

You did what seemed to be the best thing for her. Nobody can do more. I
hope you can stop feeling guilty. It is not your fault.

--
Joy