Problem With Cat Foot

Old August 29th 05, 06:32 AM
JINGLES

Default Problem With Cat Foot

Hi All,

Sorry, had a bad experience with some morons in here once, but I can't
hold that against the many good people in this group.

Quick question here about a problem we are having. First off, and
please don't anyone take this the wrong way, we are bringing our cat
to the Dr tomorrow.. I know some people in here are very protective of
their animals. And I know some like to call people abusers and unfit
pet owners when they drop in here and ask an innocent question about
their pets health. Those people know who they are can please find
another post to respond to.

Now that I got that off of my chest, here is our issue, I really
hope someone can put my mind at ease.

A few days ago we noticed our one year old cat had a swollen hind
leg, very slight swelling. He likes to play in the basement, so I
figured he may have gotten stung by a bee, or maybe bitten by an ant or
some other type of bug. Today, about two days later we have noticed
that he is missing fur on the bottom of the same foot. Now we know it
is more serious, vet is closed today but was able to make an appt for
tomorrow through the answering service they have. Has anyone ever
heard of anything like this? I think maybe some type of infection? He
doesn't go outside at all, strictly indoor cat. Also, he appears to
be in no pain or discomfort at all. I know he can't talk to tell us,
but he seems fine. Plays all the time, runs, jumps, no problems at
all. You literally have to look closely at the foot and the bottom to
know there is a problem.

At any rate, maybe someone will have seen this before and can shed
some light for us. We'll see the Dr tomorrow, but I am worried...

Thank you to all who reply.

JG

Old August 29th 05, 07:01 AM
Candace

JINGLES wrote:

A few days ago we noticed our one year old cat had a swollen hind
leg, very slight swelling. He likes to play in the basement, so I
figured he may have gotten stung by a bee, or maybe bitten by an ant or
some other type of bug. Today, about two days later we have noticed
that he is missing fur on the bottom of the same foot. Now we know it
is more serious, vet is closed today but was able to make an appt for
tomorrow through the answering service they have. Has anyone ever
heard of anything like this? I think maybe some type of infection? He
doesn't go outside at all, strictly indoor cat. Also, he appears to
be in no pain or discomfort at all. I know he can't talk to tell us,
but he seems fine. Plays all the time, runs, jumps, no problems at
all. You literally have to look closely at the foot and the bottom to
know there is a problem.

Maybe it really was a bite and he chewed at his foot thereby making the
fur come out. Is he limping at all? I would still take him to the
vet, of course, but it may not be anything horribly serious.

Candace

Old August 29th 05, 07:40 AM
MaryL

"JINGLES" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'm guessing that there may be something in the foot -- possibly a stinger
(your first instinct) or a splinter or a small shard of glass. The missing
fur could be from his attempts to get at the object.

It's good that you are going to the vet right away. Cats are very good at
hiding pain, so there could be discomfort without you even knowing it.

MaryL

Old August 29th 05, 02:14 PM
JINGLES

Maybe it really was a bite and he chewed at his foot thereby making the

fur come out. Is he limping at all? I would still take him to the
vet, of course, but it may not be anything horribly serious.

Candace

No limp, in fact I just noticed the swelling when I was playing with
him on the floor. He bolts around the house like a bat.. LOL. No sign
at all he is in discomfort at all.

Old September 1st 05, 04:29 AM
JINGLES

Hi All,

Just wanted to give an update and thank everyone who responded to my
post and helped to give us some peace of mind.

The vet thinks it may be a stinger from a bee. Gave us some
antibiotics to give to him 2x a day for 7 days. First time giving meds
to our baby, and he doesn't like it, LOL. He's handling it better now
on day 2 than the first time. Vet first thought it may be an animal
bite, but he is an indoor cat. Thought it might be a burn from the
stove, but we have gas, not electric, and there of course would be
more evidence of burn. So in the end he feels it may have been a
stinger. Makes sense, cat plays in the basement and I frequently find
dead yellowjackets and other things he may have been playing with.

I almost **** my pants when I saw the bill and that his meds were
over $50. Thats more than the visit. Thats more than I pay, LOL. But
it's not about the $$ of course. It's about our best friend being safe,
happy, and healthy.

Thanks to all!

JNG

PS: Is there such a thing as health insurance for animals?

Old September 1st 05, 07:07 PM
dgk

On 31 Aug 2005 20:29:17 -0700, "JINGLES" wrote:

[...]

Just google for Pet Insurance. Read carefully. It might be worth it if
you're the type willing to spend a few thousand on your pet. Most of
us here are.
Old September 2nd 05, 01:53 AM
JINGLES

dgk wrote:
[...]

I agree, no amount I wouldn't spend to keep our baby happy. But a
few thousand $'s. That may not be a smart move financially as I don't
think I hav spent that much on Vet's in my entire life. For the most
part vet fee's are fairly reasonable.

Old September 2nd 05, 09:30 AM
AyfL via CatKB.com

Hi
My cat once got similar problem, she (is a female) hurt her ear (the back)
while she is "marking" her smell on the stairs, where the wood is not very
well funished. In the beginning is just a small mark like Jingles' cat. Then
a few days later the hair around that area is gone. A bit red not very
swollen. Since we know how she hurt, we called our vet and he said ue that we
don't need to do anything, she can recover herself. We monditor her ear, a
few days later the red gone, the skin become normal, then the hair grown back
and become normal in a month time.
May be your cat hurt himself while he is playing, since is in the basement,
my opinion is the possibility of being bit by a bee is quite impossile, ant
will be more possible. May be you can check out is there any ant or small
insect living in the basement, that may help.
wish your cat being healthy

Old September 3rd 05, 12:09 AM
MaryL

"JINGLES" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi All,

JNG

PS: Is there such a thing as health insurance for animals?

Yes, pet insurance is available. However, I researched a number of policies
at one time and decided that it wasn't worth the cost. Most of the policies
have a maximum coverage that isn't adequate for the most costly procedures
(which is just what most of us want to cover). Some cover only certain
specified conditions, and some create so many conditions that it just isn't
feasible. I realize that some people have had very good results with these
policies. However, I decided to do some "self-insuring." I opened a
savings account just for Holly and Duffy, and I add a small amount to that
every month. I have never touched the balance because that account is only
for unexpected and large expenditures -- not for routine care or even for
the type of bill you mentioned for meds. For example, I did not use it when
Holly recently needed some surgery on her paw because that was not a very
expensive procedure; but it was available if I had needed the funds. That
way, the policy will grow and should give good coverage if it is ever
needed. This means that I took a risk for the first few years, of course,
that nothing major would occur until the balance had time to grow. Since
Duffy and Holly were healthy and relatively young, I took that risk. The
policy has now been growing for more than 2 years, and I think it was a good
decision.

MaryL

My cats --
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

Problem Solved Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 10 December 28th 04 06:54 PM
cat health problem Andrew Brown Cat rescue 6 November 4th 04 01:32 PM
Flea Problem and Indoor Cat Noreen Cat health & behaviour 2 June 2nd 04 12:59 AM
Breathing Problem After Taking him to groomer Janet Perez Cat health & behaviour 6 May 9th 04 11:08 PM
Opinions on fatty liver/possible pancreatitis problem Underwood Cat health & behaviour 80 April 10th 04 03:57 AM