Breakthrough!

Old August 26th 14, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joy

Default Breakthrough!

He's getting bolder. Pickles always sleeps on my bed. This morning I
woke up to hear Pickles hiss. I opened my eyes in time to see Koala run
out of the room. Later, after I was up, he did quite a bit of
exploring. While I was sitting in the living room he jumped up on the
couch, considered jumping across to the coffee table but decided against
it, came very close to my chair, and went even closer to Pickles to get
a toy that was by her. Pickles didn't react. He also spent a lot of
time looking out the sliding glass door to the patio where I put out
food for the birds and squirrels.

There may be a setback, though. I have a water leak in the wall between
my two bathrooms. One of them is right across the hall from what I've
come to think of as Koala's room. I'm afraid tearing out the wall and
replacing the pipe will send him back into seclusion.

Joy
Old August 26th 14, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 11:06:59 -0700, Joy wrote:

He's getting bolder. Pickles always sleeps on my bed. This morning I
woke up to hear Pickles hiss. I opened my eyes in time to see Koala run
out of the room. Later, after I was up, he did quite a bit of
exploring. While I was sitting in the living room he jumped up on the
couch, considered jumping across to the coffee table but decided against
it, came very close to my chair, and went even closer to Pickles to get
a toy that was by her. Pickles didn't react. He also spent a lot of
time looking out the sliding glass door to the patio where I put out
food for the birds and squirrels.

There may be a setback, though. I have a water leak in the wall between
my two bathrooms. One of them is right across the hall from what I've
come to think of as Koala's room. I'm afraid tearing out the wall and
replacing the pipe will send him back into seclusion.

Good news! Your repairs could be a problem. My two run and hide all
day if there are workmen here.

Don't forget that cats play roughly, so when they get used to each
other, don't interfere unless you think it is really too much. My two
played roughly a great deal when Bubba was younger; they still do it
occasionally.

Old August 26th 14, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joy

On 8/26/2014 11:17 AM, Mack A. Damia wrote:
[...]

Thanks.

The plumber has been and gone. The leak wasn't in the wall after all.
He reseated the toilet and replaced some of the drainpipes from the
washbasin. Koala is still hiding, but I'm sure he'll come back out
sooner than he would have if the wall had been torn out.

Joy

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Old August 26th 14, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

I would continue concentrating my attention on Pickles.

Just make sure it doesn't escape your house during
traumatic/difficult times, especially when strangers are around
and banging on things.

As long as their immediate area isn't being disturbed, like if
it's in another room, they do just fine.
Old August 26th 14, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Joy

On 8/26/2014 11:36 AM, John Doe wrote:
I would continue concentrating my attention on Pickles.

Since Pickles is the only one who comes close enough for me to touch,
and she frequently demands skritches and tummy rubs, that won't be hard
to do.

Just make sure it doesn't escape your house during
traumatic/difficult times, especially when strangers are around
and banging on things.

He had already gone back under the bed when the plumber arrived, so I
just closed his door until the plumber left.

As long as their immediate area isn't being disturbed, like if
it's in another room, they do just fine.

It turned out that the job wasn't as extensive, or as noisy as I had
anticipated.

Joy

Old August 27th 14, 12:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

Not to do with your situation specifically, but about who gets the
attention...

Recently, my neutered male began peeing on things. That is not
tolerable here, so I put him back where he came from in the not so
great outdoors for a day. That happened two or three more times,
with the time outside increasing. In my opinion, I'm good at
manipulating them, but I was at a loss. So... I considered the
jealousy thing and started letting him up into my lap giving him
precedence over the new female. I'm confident the peeing has
stopped. Apparently he was marking territory because he was upset
at getting less attention. That's something to look out for when
the home cat (the incumbent) is male.

Some people who don't have cats might think of that as surrender.
But as those of us who are experienced with cats know, sometimes
you just have to do it their way if you want to keep them.

Breakthrough! Joy Cat anecdotes 12 August 28th 14 12:10 AM
Breakthrough! Joy Cat anecdotes 5 April 6th 09 12:35 AM
BREAKTHROUGH! kilikini Cat anecdotes 38 January 12th 06 11:01 AM
A breakthrough! jmcquown Cat anecdotes 3 June 10th 05 08:01 AM
Big breakthrough John Biltz Cat anecdotes 3 August 18th 03 01:41 AM