2 ferals

Old February 27th 04, 12:26 AM

frlpwr wrote:

I agree the thing to do is get these cats neutered/spayed, not
because it's painful to watch hungry kittens struggling to survive,
but because there shouldn't be more hungry kittens struggling to
survive.

The way conscience works is that when something wrong is happening, it
is emotionally unpleasant to the person who witnesses (or perpetrates)
it. If people felt nothing at the suffering of others, then they wouldn't
have a conscience. Most people don't "do the right thing" because it's
some cold, detached *rule* to follow. It's usually the result of heart-
felt values and strong emotional reactions to suffering, that make them
want to put a stop to it.

So all I'm saying is, don't knock the fact that it's *painful* to watch
kittens die. That pain is exactly what motivates people to action.

Joyce
Old February 27th 04, 02:37 AM
Hopitus2

ROFL @ thought of cats either having trouble sleeping (!) or scaring cats
off with noise-masking devices.

wrote in message
: frlpwr wrote:
:
: Seriously, there are gadgets designed for
: masking external noises over which you have no control. They can be
: set for various sounds - ocean, rain, frogs, crickets, heartbeats,
: or just "white noise".
:
: I don't see any reason why cats would be bothered by these sounds,
: beyond an intital startle effect.
:
: I think the OP was suggesting these gadgets not to startle cats away,
: but for the person to use in their bedroom to *mask* the sounds from
: outside. That's what "white noise" is all about - it masks other sounds
: that might bother you. It is also a sound, of course, but it's a steady,
: consistent sound that your mind can get accustomed to and block out,
: unlike sudden, intermittent, or possibly startling noises from outside
: that would be distracting and keep you awake.
:
: Joyce

Old February 27th 04, 04:22 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

frlpwr wrote:

StocksRusĀ® wrote:

(snip)

Seriously, there are gadgets designed for
masking external noises over which you have no control. They can be
set for various sounds - ocean, rain, frogs, crickets, heartbeats,
or just "white noise".

I don't see any reason why cats would be bothered by these sounds,
beyond an intital startle effect.

Who ever said they WOULD???? The purpose of the "Sound Machine" is to
allow the human to get some sleep by masking the noises of amorous cats
with something more soothing! (I've found it much easier to use that
than try to persuade noisy neighbors to be quiet - especially when the
latter entails getting dressed and going out in the middle of the night
to pound on their door.)

There are motion activated sprinklers that work well on uninvited,
water-hating animals.

They work pretty well on invited human guests, too, if you forget to
deactivate them when you're expecting company!
Old February 27th 04, 04:25 AM

Hopitus2 wrote:

ROFL @ thought of cats either having trouble sleeping (!) or scaring cats
off with noise-masking devices.

Well, mine sleep quite comfortably right next to the sound machine's
imitation crickets!

wrote in message
:

Old February 27th 04, 06:42 PM
Tanada

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

They work pretty well on invited human guests, too, if you forget to
deactivate them when you're expecting company!

Ok, where do you find the motion activated water sprinklers? We have a
bunch of punks that think nothing of climbing over our 8 foot tall back
fence on their never ending quest to find another house to break into.
I'd love to set up a bunch of motion activated sprinklers to discourage
them for a time or two.

Pam S.

Old February 27th 04, 08:28 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:42:14 GMT, Tanada wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

They work pretty well on invited human guests, too, if you forget to
deactivate them when you're expecting company!

Ok, where do you find the motion activated water sprinklers? We have a
bunch of punks that think nothing of climbing over our 8 foot tall back
fence on their never ending quest to find another house to break into.
I'd love to set up a bunch of motion activated sprinklers to discourage
them for a time or two.

Pam S.

I saw these things recently on an episode of "Ask this Old House", and
still have it bookmarked. At the time I googled "motion activated
sprinkler" and this was the site with the cheapest price
http://www2.yardiac.com/long.asp?item_id=885&
Still kind of pricey, at around $60 if I remember right.

I didn't get one myself. Since it hooks onto a garden hose like other
yard sprinklers, and we're still liable to get the odd hard freeze,
it's not practical to leave a hose hooked up to a faucet this time of
year around here.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old February 28th 04, 04:37 AM
Hopitus2

But it's practical down here! One of our neighbors is an electrician by
trade and his whole yard is full of those motion-triggered sprinklers (I
don't think being an electrician is necessary); he told some of us he loves
to see those religious zealots toting bibles and wearing their Sunday Best
clothes exiting their cars in front of his house @ about 8 a.m. and
preparing to stroll on up to his door to attempt his salvation. He never
answers the door. He has a cat (indoor) but is really a d-pet man.
Sprinklers + his side fenced yard with yapping hounds pretty much guarantee
the same car doesn't return twice.

"Steve Touchstone" wrote in message
[...]
: --
: Steve Touchstone,
: faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit and Rocky
:
: [remove Junk for email]
: Home Page:
: Cat Pix: http://www.sirinet.net/~stouchst/animals.html

Old March 2nd 04, 09:07 AM
Willows

Its a noisy process, but traping and getting those cats
neutered would stop the noise,

What's noisy about trapping cats and having cats neutered?

LOL, I meant noisy by them beeing in season and shouting for a mate or
fighting with each other not the trapping part.

Otherwise take them to the shelter
its better then watching their kittens die,

So it's not about the death of cats, it's about what you or other humans
have to "watch"?

That is so not what I meant. Of course its about the death of the cats
but I think even more its about the suffering of the cats, there are
fates worse then death. Neutering on adverage doubles the life
expectency of outdoor cats.