Boyfie is sulking big time

Old December 9th 15, 04:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
The New Other Guy

Default Boyfie is sulking big time

On Wed, 9 Dec 2015 02:42:04 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Not exactly. It will not shut down properly if you just close the lid.
Found this out yesterday.
Start -sleep - shutdown.

Most modern laptops have adjustable settings for what happens when you
close the lid. Older versions of Windows (pre-7) didn't do 'sleep'
very well, so not many people used it, and often still don't.

But it seems to work pretty well from W7 to W10, and is worth trying.

Old December 9th 15, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

wrote:

Not exactly. It will not shut down properly if you just close the lid.
Found this out yesterday.
Start -sleep - shutdown.

Most modern laptops have adjustable settings for what happens when you
close the lid. Older versions of Windows (pre-7) didn't do 'sleep'
very well, so not many people used it, and often still don't.

But it seems to work pretty well from W7 to W10, and is worth trying.

Oh, thanks for that info. I am going to change that as soon as I next
use it!

Joyce
--
Anything that is in the world when you're born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works. Anything that's invented between when you're fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things. -- Douglas Adams
Old December 12th 15, 05:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

Redunzel (RB) used to sleep on top of the modem- when it packed up I got a tower hub and when I unpacked it, she looked at me and was plainly thinking "I know Hoomins are stupid but this is ridiculous! They've gone and got me a new botty warmer I can't sit on!"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old December 12th 15, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

On 12/5/2015 6:49 PM, Joy wrote:
On 12/5/2015 2:47 PM, Mishi wrote:
On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 2:31:41 PM UTC-5, Christina Websell
wrote:
I got a laptop on Thursday. I needed a better computer than my old
desktop
running on XP as it just couldn't cope with Facebook rpca or Youtube,
as it
is unsupported by Microsoft and doesn't update Java.
He is "well" annoyed because his default position is on my lap -
every time
I sit down he insists on being on my lap and going to sleep. He
meatloafed
on the carpet tonight, looking at me, impressing on me that it is far
more
important to have me on your knee than your new computer. I ignored
him so
he went out into Storm Desmond claiming he would never come home
again.
He will be home in 10 minutes, it's more than windy. He has a chair
of his
own with a nice bed on very near to me and he'll have to learn to use
it. I
am far too soft with this cat.

Tweed

There should be a monitor out port on the back of the laptop, and usb
ports that you can plug in your keyboard and mouse - that way, you can
still use it as a base. Just plug everything in, turn on the computer
and let it boot up, then close the cover.

But the monitor is a very important part of the computer. How can she
use the keyboard and mouse if she can't see what she is doing on the
screen?

I think Mishi is suggesting separate components connected to the laptop
but she mentions the monitor. I don't know why. There's no need for a
separate monitor since one is built in.

Maybe not a *need*, but I would much prefer to use a big monitor. It
doesn't
have to be huge, but it's bigger than the laptop's monitor. Especially if
I'm using a separate keyboard. Then I have to set the laptop back to make
room for my keyboard, and with a small monitor like that, it's hard to see
what's on it.

I *do* use a separate keyboard and mouse. That's just my personal
preference. Laptop keyboards feel way too cramped for me to easily
type. I dislike the touchpad mouse.

Ditto!

--
Joyce

It seems that if you have to have another monitor, another keyboard and a
mouse, there not much point to having a laptop!
I hate the touchpad so I'm getting a mouse.

Old December 12th 15, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

On 12/12/2015 9:43 AM, Lesley Madigan wrote:
Redunzel (RB) used to sleep on top of the modem- when it packed up I got a tower hub and when I unpacked it, she looked at me and was plainly thinking "I know Hoomins are stupid but this is ridiculous! They've gone and got me a new botty warmer I can't sit on!"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Nanki-Poo (RB) was equally disgusted when I got my first flat screen
monitor.
Old December 15th 15, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"Bastette" wrote in message

There's no need for a separate monitor since one is built in.

Maybe not a *need*, but I would much prefer to use a big monitor. It
doesn't
have to be huge, but it's bigger than the laptop's monitor. Especially if
I'm using a separate keyboard. Then I have to set the laptop back to make
room for my keyboard, and with a small monitor like that, it's hard to see
what's on it.

I *do* use a separate keyboard and mouse. That's just my personal
preference. Laptop keyboards feel way too cramped for me to easily
type. I dislike the touchpad mouse.

Ditto!

It seems that if you have to have another monitor, another keyboard and a
mouse, there not much point to having a laptop!
I hate the touchpad so I'm getting a mouse.

Here's how I ended up with a laptop. My previous computer had died, and at
the same time, a friend of mine happened to see a for sale ad for a brand-new
Windows 7 laptop, only $200. It's a decent computer.

It's true that I don't take it with me very often, but I could if I wanted
to. I have brought it with me on a couple of trips. But I never made a
decision to get a laptop. I just grabbed an opportunity for a good deal,
and a laptop is what I got. It sits on a shelf and does a pretty good
impersonation of a desktop computer.

--
Joyce

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing
that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
-- A. Einstein
Old December 17th 15, 08:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
[...]

Tina, you can use your laptop as a base, plug your mouse, monitor and
keyboard into it and close the cover. It will make him happy!

What do you mean? He is very suspicous of it even if even i close the
cover
and prop it up against a chair..he hears it humming and can see himself
reflected in the shiny lid. Boyfie says no to the laptop. I say yes.
It will actually be a relief to not have him jumping on my knee the
minute I
sit down as he intends to sleep there all day if he can, and I'm too
polite
to say no.
So he has a real grump on.
Btw, he came back in within 5 minutes. It's horrribly windy so he decided
not leave home but he wants it noted that he "nearly" left home about the
laptop.

Tweed

I have both a laptop and a desktop. Both are several years old and go
back to the years when I was working. Nikki claims my lap when I use the
desktop, and all 3 cats immediately jump onto the table if I use the
laptop (I set the laptop on the table and use a mouse with it). I'm
thinking of getting a tablet now and wonder which size would be most
functional for me.

MaryL

My friend Simon says 10 inch are best. I want one but keep having to spend
money on my house instead

Old December 19th 15, 08:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the information...and I completely understand having to spend
money on your house.

MaryL

Old December 21st 15, 03:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 15:21:52 -0800, Joy
wrote:

On 12/12/2015 9:43 AM, Lesley Madigan wrote:
Redunzel (RB) used to sleep on top of the modem- when it packed up I got a tower hub and when I unpacked it, she looked at me and was plainly thinking "I know Hoomins are stupid but this is ridiculous! They've gone and got me a new botty warmer I can't sit on!"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Nanki-Poo (RB) was equally disgusted when I got my first flat screen
monitor.

Those were bad news for cats. Mine used to love lying on top of the
nice warm CRT monitor.

Persia is still sulking (partly OT) jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 10 February 12th 10 06:26 PM
Sulking badwilson Cat anecdotes 10 June 7th 06 12:57 PM
Silver's sulking Karen AKA KajiKit Cat anecdotes 0 November 27th 04 02:07 AM
Harvey Sulking Lots42 The Library Avenger Cat anecdotes 8 April 10th 04 04:09 PM
Harvey sulking Lots42 The Library Avenger Cat anecdotes 3 November 28th 03 10:43 PM