Cell phones in the USA

Old January 29th 04, 02:44 PM
Sherry

It does look as though I am going to have to wait a few more years for
the USA to catch up with the European telephone methods.

--
David Stevenson

Awww, it's not so bad. They tell me in a couple of years I won't have to climb
the telephone pole to answer the phone anymore like Oliver on "Green Acres."

Sherry
Old January 29th 04, 02:51 PM
Sherry

It works like that because 99% of phones in the US are under contract,
meaning you pay a fixed ammount per month and you get a certain number
of minutes. In other countries (Mexico, for example) pay as you go plans
are popular, where you "recharge" your phone with a certain number of
minutes for a fixed ammount of cash. In those systems, whoever calls,
pays, so if I call a cell phone in Mexico, I get charged extra for the
call. Which in my view is not a good thing.
We pay $50 USD per month for two lines sharing 400 "anytime" minutes
(basically during the weekedays from 7am to 7pm). Nights and weekends
are free, I can use my phone as much as I want for no additional cost.

--
Victor Martinez

That's about the plan we have. I don't like cell phones, DH made me get one
because he worries. It seems like such a waste because we never come close to
using all those minutes. Thanks for posting the info. on the other post about
the rechargable minutes. That's what I need.
Sherry
Does anybody remember those "bag phones"? What a hoot.
Old January 29th 04, 03:32 PM
Annie Wxill

"Sherry " wrote in message
.... I don't like cell phones, DH made me get one
because he worries. It seems like such a waste because we never come close

using all those minutes. Thanks for posting the info. on the other post

about
the rechargable minutes. That's what I need.
Sherry
Does anybody remember those "bag phones"? What a hoot.

Sherry,
My first cell phone was one of those bag phones I kept in my car for
emergencies only. I had to use it one time when my car broke down, so was
glad to have it. Well, I didn't *have to* use it, because it was surprising
how many people stopped and offered me the use of their cell phone. When my
husband was with me, we used it once to call for help for someone else whose
car broke down.
Now I use my (newer and smaller) cell phone all the time. I can call my
family without long distance charges. If I'm at the store, I can call DH
and ask him if he can check to see if we are low on something. I tell
everyone that we have cell phones so that when DH and I are shopping at
Sam's Club (a big warehouse store that carries all kinds of stuff), he tends
to wander off. When I'm ready to check out, I just dial him up and ask him
to meet me at the register.
Annie

Old January 29th 04, 05:04 PM
John Biltz

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 6:28:08 -0800, David Stevenson wrote
(in message ):

Sounds like your going to want a phone you can use at home and put the
chip in for use in the USA and go to a prepaid card. The trouble with
the prepaid cards are they normally only go for 30 days to 6 months and
then expire whether you use them or not. I hate to say it but us
'mericans are the worst ones to ask almost all of us have monthly plans
with nationwide service so travelling around the US doesn't force us into
doing anything different. Sprint, nextel, AT&T, Virgin, Verison are
nationwide companies. Your probably going to have to go to them and
check on what they all offer.

Steve Touchstone wrote
"David Stevenson" wrote in message

I have been looking at a few cell phone ads. Far too expensive.

Are there any cell phones in the USA that, instead of advertising so
many free minutes, are very cheap to won but with expensive calls?
Incidentally, do you pay for incoming calls to cells?

While we usually get some useful adive, I think the best coming from
this thread for you is that it all depends on where you're planning on
going and how long you'll be there. I know from from annual trips out
to California that they have much better, and cheaper cell phone
service than we do here in SW Oklahoma, probably because they have
more companies to choose from, which results in more competition for
your business. So, what's true for me here isn't true for California.

So, if you let us know where you'll planning on going and the foks in
that area can probably give some advice which makes sense.

I expect to visit the USA twice a year for the foreseeable future, but
the places go round the country. The next two places are new York and
Orlando. The last three places I visited were Las Vegas/Los Angeles,
LosAngeles/Phoenix, New Orleans.

Because I only expect to be in the USA for three or four weeks a year,
a low cost of owning the phone seems the idea.

Note that phone rental is available at airports, but you can get
twelve months of phone in England for five days rental there.

Old January 29th 04, 06:22 PM
Stacey

I get mine from Virgin Mobile (Virginmobile.com) and I believe they are a UK
co.... as well as USA. There are also many other companies out there,
though. Search for "prepaid wireless"

Stacey

"David Stevenson" wrote in message
Stacey wrote
I have a prepaid that the phone cost me $50 and I just put as much money

on
it as I wish. No contracts, etc. The cell cost is $.25/minute for

incoming
and outgoing calls.

That's what I am looking for!

Where? How? Etc???

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome

Old January 29th 04, 06:35 PM
Jo Firey

That sounds like what a lot of the kids here have. They call it a "Go
Phone" here in California. Keeps the kids from running up the minutes.

Jo

Old January 29th 04, 09:39 PM
Yowie

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
David Stevenson wrote:
Are there any cell phones in the USA that, instead of advertising so
many free minutes, are very cheap to won but with expensive calls?

We just got two free cell phones with a 2 yr contract with ATT. Top of
the line cell phones, with camera and all. We have a shared plan with a
heck of a lot more minutes than we can possibly use and nationwide long
distance/roaming.

Incidentally, do you pay for incoming calls to cells?

Yes, they count towards your minutes.

Wow! Here in Oz, you only pay for your outgoing calls, which, IMHO, only
makes sense. Since I'm not in control of incoming calls, I wouldn't want to
pay for them.

Yowie

Old January 29th 04, 11:35 PM
Dick C

David Stevenson wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I have been looking at a few cell phone ads. Far too expensive.

Are there any cell phones in the USA that, instead of advertising so
many free minutes, are very cheap to won but with expensive calls?
Incidentally, do you pay for incoming calls to cells?

Prepaid is definitely the way to go. I use Verizon, and am quite happy
with it. But it does not allow nationwide roaming. AT&T allows nationwide
roaming on some plans, Liberty wireless allows free international calling
I think. If it is the outfit I am thinking of, you don't even need to
buy a phone from them. Simply find a phone that you like, and meets their
specs, and set it up.
However, the internet seems to have a lot of bad reports about them.
Go to Yahoo or google and search for prepaid plans, or wait until you
get to the states and look in an amazing number of places for a deal.
Drugstores, grocery stores, electronic stores just to name some places
that I have seen sell the phones.

--
Dick #1349
"Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."
Old January 30th 04, 12:26 AM
Victor Martinez

Annie Wxill wrote:
Now I use my (newer and smaller) cell phone all the time. I can call my
family without long distance charges. If I'm at the store, I can call DH

That's what we use it for, basically.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 30th 04, 01:08 AM
David Stevenson

Victor Martinez wrote
David Stevenson wrote:
It does look as though I am going to have to wait a few more years
for the USA to catch up with the European telephone methods.

Actually, they have already started selling "pay as you go" phones here
in the USA: http://www.virginmobileusa.com/
Is that what you're lookign for?

That *does* look interesting. What happens when I move form one state
to another - does it affect it?