Microchip question

Old November 15th 04, 04:40 AM
faielyne

Default Microchip question

Can anyone tell me whether microchips are ever implanted anywhere
besides between the shoulderblades? I found a kitten who seems to be
about 6 or 7 months old and there is a bump in her ear. I thought it
was a scab or scar from getting boxed but it isn't. It feels almost
like a piece of bone. The only thing I can think of is that it might
be her microchip. I hope so since I haven't had any response to the
ad in the paper. This kitten has been declawed front AND BACK! It
makes me so mad. And nobody is looking in the paper for her! I just
hope she wasn't abandoned after some idiot realized that declawing her
completely doesn't make the kitty litter smell any better.

Old November 15th 04, 05:44 AM
Suzie-Q

In article ,
faielyne wrote:

- Can anyone tell me whether microchips are ever implanted anywhere
- besides between the shoulderblades? I found a kitten who seems to be
- about 6 or 7 months old and there is a bump in her ear. I thought it
- was a scab or scar from getting boxed but it isn't. It feels almost
- like a piece of bone. The only thing I can think of is that it might
- be her microchip. I hope so since I haven't had any response to the
- ad in the paper. This kitten has been declawed front AND BACK! It
- makes me so mad. And nobody is looking in the paper for her! I just
- hope she wasn't abandoned after some idiot realized that declawing her
- completely doesn't make the kitty litter smell any better.

When they were first used, many years ago, they were implanted
in the ear (dogs, mostly - don't know about cats). But people
would steal the dog and just cut the ear with the chip off. That's
when they started putting them between the shoulder blades.

I seriously doubt that the lump in her ear is a chip. But she may
have one anyway. Take her to any vet to be scanned.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
***Revelation 22:12*** ICQ: 349878998
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
Old November 15th 04, 10:08 AM
Mimi Forsyth

There is a brand of microchip that 'migrates' instead of attaching itself to
tissue-I forget the name. Has the cat been scanned?

www.mimiforsyth.com

Old November 15th 04, 02:21 PM
Alison

Microchips can "travel" though I don't know if it would travel to the
ear. I always get the vet to check Kim's is in place once a year.
Aliosn