2 ferals

Old February 22nd 04, 10:59 AM
badwilson

"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote in message
news:WATZb.378318$na.568528@attbi_s04...

If all else fails - just use the clock radio (IIRC, most hotels have them)
and set it to a non-existent radio station. The static noise from that is
equal to the 'white noise' that most of the sound soothers replicate.
Unless you want the other sounds - traffic, surf, crickets, rainshower....
the list goes on!

Ah yes, the soothing sounds of traffic to put you right to sleep ;-)
--
Britta
Check out pictures of Vino at:

Old February 22nd 04, 12:40 PM
Willows

Lots of posts telling this person how to be more comfortable with sound
machines or even sprinklers which would just send the cats to the
neighbours but those cats as howling for a reason. If its indeed
howling and not meowing at the door to come in then I garentee you
pretty soon your problem will get bigger and their will be feral kittens
to contend with. These cats can't be ferals and belong to someone at
the same time. Do you see them during the day have you tried to
approach them at all? It sounds to me like you either have two males
fighting for teritory or you have a female in season and a male chasing
after her. Its a noisy process, but traping and getting those cats
neutered would stop the noise, if you did that however you'd have to
feed them as long as they remained. Otherwise take them to the shelter
its better then watching their kittens die, or having them suffer from
diseases and die slowly.

My 2 kids are driving me nuts when 2 strays come to my downstairs patio and
start howling at 2 am. My kids only go outside supervised and both Bonnie
and Squeak are "fixed" so I'm pretty sure it's not that the strays are
wanting....well you know.
Anyway, Squeak, being the brut he is,could probably kick their butts outta
here, but I'm not stupid enough to take that chance.
This is an area under new development, so it could be the ferals belong to
someone, but why the hell would they let them out all night? There's
coyoties, fox, and other preditors around.
I don't want to trap and take them to the shelter, but I need to sleep at
night. BTW, the shelter, only one within 50 miles has a 72 hour policy.
Why the hell are they picking my patio?? And what can I do?

Old February 22nd 04, 02:04 PM
jmcquown

badwilson wrote:
"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote in message

If all else fails - just use the clock radio (IIRC, most hotels have
them) and set it to a non-existent radio station. The static noise
from that is equal to the 'white noise' that most of the sound
soothers replicate. Unless you want the other sounds - traffic,
surf, crickets, rainshower.... the list goes on!

Ah yes, the soothing sounds of traffic to put you right to sleep ;-)

Don't laugh... some people are used to that! I'm not one of them, but I
suppose if you lived in a big city downtown you might be used to loud cars,
buses, horns honking
I prefer the sound of rain or even a thunderstorm.

Jill

Old February 22nd 04, 02:09 PM
jmcquown

Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
{snippag}
Evelyn, if you didn't get my email, where can I get one of those
travel clocks with a sound machine? I'm used to sleeping with one
and since I'm planning to travel am dreading hotel "sounds"

We got ours from Sharper Image. http://tinyurl.com/zap8 I just
typed in a search for "travel soother" and got 10 pages of results.
The first one listed is the one we have - we even bought the ac
adaptor for it (what's $10 vs. a ton of batteries?)

If all else fails - just use the clock radio (IIRC, most hotels have
them) and set it to a non-existent radio station. The static noise
from that is equal to the 'white noise' that most of the sound
soothers replicate. Unless you want the other sounds - traffic, surf,
crickets, rainshower.... the list goes on!

HEY! I just found one (the same thing but without the clock) from Sharper
Image that doesn't shut off automatically (although that's an option) and it
was on sale from $59 to $29! Alrightly then!

Jill

Old February 22nd 04, 03:04 PM
OU812?

jmcquown wrote:

I like crickets Makes me feel like I'm camping.

Jill

Arrggh!! This town has wayyy too many crickets. The building my school
used to be in used to get crickets inside. Have you ever tried to write a
test while one cricket persistently chirps in a tiled room?

Kristy
--
((
/\ /\ ))
# # # #
*Bomber*

Old February 22nd 04, 03:59 PM
jmcquown

OU812? wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

I like crickets Makes me feel like I'm camping.

Jill

Arrggh!! This town has wayyy too many crickets. The building my
school used to be in used to get crickets inside. Have you ever
tried to write a test while one cricket persistently chirps in a
tiled room?

Kristy

No, but then the school I went to didn't have tiled rooms I know what
you mean... a single cricket can drive you nuts. But when you're outdoors,
under the great sky, chirping crickets and frogs just lull you to sleep.

Jill

Old February 22nd 04, 06:44 PM
Jette Goldie

"badwilson" wrote in message

"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote in message

If all else fails - just use the clock radio (IIRC, most hotels have

them)
and set it to a non-existent radio station. The static noise from that

is
equal to the 'white noise' that most of the sound soothers replicate.
Unless you want the other sounds - traffic, surf, crickets,

rainshower....
the list goes on!

Ah yes, the soothing sounds of traffic to put you right to sleep ;-)
--

Depends what you're used to - if you're a city person
used to a certain level of traffic all night, the silence

I hate white noise - I have tinnitus and my "internal
sounds" are a kind of hiss/hum that is similar to
white noise - so the hiss of artificially generated
white noise makes it worse not better. On the
other hand, wave sounds or waterfalls is ideal
and distract me wonderfully from the tinnitus.
(you should hear the tinnitus when I'm staying
somewhere *silent*)

--
Jette Goldie

Apache and Dakota
http://www.jette.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/kitties.html

Old February 22nd 04, 08:23 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

~*Connie*~ wrote:

trap them and take them to the shelter. You'll be doing them a favor.

But would the cats consider it so?

Lots of people who have cats feel that their being able to be outside is
more important than the pitfalls out there.

Then isn't that the owner's prerogative? There are any number of us who
believe that cats do best, health-wise, when allowed to be
"indoor/outdoor", and to come and go at will (and there have been
scientific studies that appear to prove it). Unless you KNOW the cats
are ferals, you have NO legal right to trap and dispose of them!

0...

Old February 22nd 04, 08:29 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

"StocksRus®" wrote:

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
:

"StocksRus®" wrote:

[...]

Get a "sound machine"? Seriously, there are gadgets designed for
masking external noises over which you have no control. They can be
set for various sounds - ocean, rain, frogs, crickets, heartbeats, or
just "white noise". I have one at home because I have extra keen
hearing, and now that I live in an apartment building many of the
normal sounds of other people's daily living disturb me when I'm
trying to sleep (even though my neighbors are not particularly noisy -
it's me, not them). I even have a travel alarm clock with the same
option (which is very handy in strange hotel rooms, with tourists
unmindful of any schedules but their own). If you can't locate the
owner, then rather than trying to trap someone else's cats, why not
try my suggestion - the gadgets are not very expensive, and I've found
them effective. (BTW, there WAS a time when "putting the cat out at
night" was considered the normal thing to do - maybe your midnight
invaders come from a home where that's still the case.)

Ya know what? I have one of those I got in a golf tournament. I'll give
it a shot.
Don't you think if people let their cats out all night, or at all, they
would have a collar?

The cats may have other ideas! When I lived where I could have a pet
door, I lost count of the number of collars I bought only to have the
cats manage to remove them. Of course, I didn't want them in something
that could strangle them if it got caught on something, and they all
managed to sooner or later figure out how to get out of the "easy
release" varieties.
Old February 22nd 04, 08:39 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Mine has both a 'continuous on' and a 'sleep timer' that slowly lowers the
volume until it shuts off in about an hour,

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

"jmcquown" wrote in message
.. .
Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
{snippag}
Evelyn, if you didn't get my email, where can I get one of those
travel clocks with a sound machine? I'm used to sleeping with one
and since I'm planning to travel am dreading hotel "sounds"

We got ours from Sharper Image. http://tinyurl.com/zap8 I just
typed in a search for "travel soother" and got 10 pages of results.
The first one listed is the one we have - we even bought the ac
adaptor for it (what's $10 vs. a ton of batteries?)

But the one from Sharper Image shuts off after 60 minutes... I always wake
up when it shuts off (if I accidentally set mine to 'timer') at home. The
gadget I have is just the noise machine, not a clock, and while it's small
it wouldn't pack well in a suitcase.